What If I Told You...

36. What If I Told You...

  It's been all of a week since that day. The minute those cute little midgets stepped into a car and declared their departure, I'd forced myself not to burst into tears as Dante sent me a small wave.

  Ace only stood there and laughed at my face before he pulled me into a hug and left with them.

  Now, a week later... I still want to burst into tears the second I think back the goodbye, but I've been to the Orphan House a number times during the week, just to go see them. Sometimes Ace would go with me.

  But now, today, I had something hanging on my conscience and it was holding me down like an anchor.

  "This is bad," I paced in front of the bed, running a hand through my hair, "This is really, really bad."

  "Onyx, it really isn't that bad," Blue Eyes says from where he's laying on his bed, "Now, could you..." He trails off, gesturing for me to move, "Stop pacing in front of the tv."

  I stopped pacing and turn to him with my hands on my hips and a glare, "You're no help."

  "Go talk to him about the situation. I'm sure it'll be fine." He says with a nonchalant wave of the hand.

  "You suck." I snap, making my way to the door.

  I heard him snicker before I left, murmuring, "Drama." If we're being specific, he actually sang it.

  I was standing outside of Ace's office, that he never seems to leave these days. I was contemplating whether this was worth it, but I really wanted to tell him. That's how I've been these last days, telling him anything and everything, I'm surprised he hasn't resorted to kicking me out once I open my mouth but he never seems to mind and that's just like him, that's how he's always been.

  I took a deep breath and pushed the door open. He was sitting behind his desk, as usual, looking over and signing random papers.

  He looks up when he senses that it's me and smiles, "Hey, how was work?" He asks like working in a library is at all interesting.

  I ignored the question and started over to him slowly with my hands behind my back, "What if I told you, someone asked me out on a date?" I said slowly, staring down at the floor.

  It was silent for a beat with my heart pounding before he asked, "Is it the same guy that has a crush on you?" He asks.

  "Maybe..." I trail off, not looking at him.

  "Do you want to go?" He suddenly asks.

  My head snaps up and I stare at him incredulously, "What?" I gape.

  He looks at me weirdly, "I asked if you wanted to go..."

   I opened my mouth but something completely different from what I was going to say came out, "Why would you ask me that?"

  He chuckles, "I don't think you know how a date works..." He says, leaning back in his chair with an amused look on his face.

  "Wh- I- Yes, I know how it works but-"

  "You thought I was gonna tell you that you can't go." He says and when I gave him an obvious look he shook his head, "I'm not your dad, Syl. If you want to go, go. You have to experience stuff, seeing as you never got to and I'm not going to take that away from you."

  I frowned, "But I want you to."

  He throws his head back, laughing loudly, "What?" He laughs.

  "Tell me that I can't go." I demand.

  He shrugs with a lopsided grin, "I can't do that," He said, shaking his head and I groaned, making my way over to the desk while dragging my feet on the ground dramatically, "If you don't want to go, just tell him." He says.

  I take the seat across from him, "You don't understand... I can't do this. I've never done this before!"

  He chuckles, "When did it happen?"

  I sigh and lean back in my chair, "Today."

  I was reading a dictionary when he showed up and popped out the question like it's a casual thing to do. He caught me off guard, which resulted in me not being as blunt as I wanted to be.

  "I think you can come up with a way to say no before you see him again." Ace says, "What was your answer? I'm curious."

  I frowned, thinking back to my embarrassing tongue tied state, "Told him I'd get back to him. Usually I'm not scared to say no."

  "I know that." He says in amusement.

  I sighed again, dramatically, "This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do."

  "You like him?"

  I did a double take, "Why are you asking me these dumb questions?" I ask in shock, "As much as I hate to admit it, you're my mate, aren't you supposed to hate having to ask me this?"

  "Yeah," He drawls, running a hand over his head, "But I'm also your friend too,"

  "A friend who's madly in love with me, which makes it worse." I said, holding back a smirk when he laughs.

  "Look," He leans forward, placing his elbows on the desk top, "I told myself that I'll never be like my dad when I found my mate," He says, "My dad isn't a bad guy per say, but he forced my mom into things back then - of what I was told. She never had a say in almost everything. And even though we started off with 'two left feet'," He says with a smile watching me hold back a grin, "I'll never force you into anything. Again." He says with a nod, "So... Go out, have fun -  but not too much fun. Do all that young people stuff or whatever."

  I beamed, "I think you just made it easier for me to say no," I said and he laughed, "And just, by the way, I rather do all that 'young people stuff' with you than anyone else."

  He grins widely, "Awww!"

  I rolled my eyes, "I don't even like the guy anyway. All he does is annoy me and show up every time I have my shift." I scowl. Even though he's incredibly nice, everything he does just aggravates me to no end. Some days I want to knock him out.

  "He really likes you." Ace says.

  "And I don't understand why." I say in confusion.

  "Neither do I." He responds teasingly.

  I narrow my eyes at him, "Shut up." I said, "Anyways how's Blondy holding up?"

  He shrugs, "I think she said she was going to the mall today and going to get a wax or something-"

  "What's a wax?" I ask, intrigued.

  He throws his head back and takes in a breath before looking back up at me, "A thing that they use to rip your body hair out of your pores."

  My mouth fell open, "That sounds painful," I gasp.

  He scoffs, "You have no fucking idea. I did it once on a dare and I almost cried."

  "I wanna try!" I got up, "See you later!" I wave at him over my shoulder as I ran out, making my way to a certain blonde.