Do You Not Get It?

44. Do You Not Get It?

  It's been two weeks and I've been ignoring Ace. For reasons. Embarrassing reasons.

  I'm more than sure he noticed. I mean, I used to go see him everyday after I come from work until two days after our date. But if he noticed he didn't let on that he did, and I was relieved at first, but now it was just getting irritating.

  If he just said enough is enough and come find me and jerk the answer out if me, then I'll have no choice but to tell him and set myself free from my misery.

  He's just so understanding. It sickens me.

  I knew he was doing it on purpose. He knows I'll come to him sooner or later and so he waits. But something in me tells me he doesn't really mind that I'm not coming to him anymore. He gets to have his quiet time. And I don't want him to have quiet time. He should be with me all the time.

  "Um, are you okay?"

  My head snaps over to see Theo staring at me in confusion. He's been coming to work with me for a while now. Not every day, but most of them.

  I can tell he really likes that girl. All they do is sit at a table and talk for the whole day. It's annoying seeing as I haven't talked to Ace in forever and I envy them.

  "I'm fine!" I snap.

  He shrugs, "It's just that you've been holding that book for a while and I'm pretty sure the title isn't that hard to read." He stuffs his hands in his pockets.

  "Are you really okay?" That was asked by his friend, which I found her name was Aphrodite​. She was staring at me with a worried look on her face.

  I took a breath, "I'm just, ah, thinking." I said before shelving the book and reaching for another.

  "You still haven't talked to my brother have you?" Theo says, making me turned back to him sharply.

  "Who told you that?"

  "Ace did." He responds nonchalantly.

  "I thought you said he doesn't tell other people's stories." I narrow my eyes at him.

  "Well, I mean," His eyebrows raised on top of his shades, "That's not really a story, but..."

  I let out an aggravated breath, slamming the book down on the shelf roughly.

  "I thought you said you tell him everything." Theo says.

  "I do!" I said, my voice rising. This feeling is taking a toll on me, "And I haven't talked to him in two weeks. I'm dying." I said lowly. Not literally but literally.

  "That's your fault," He shrugs again.

  "Don't you think I know that," I glare at him, "Stop talking so I can think."

  "Don't hurt yourself." He teases, before leaving with Aphrodite, giving me the chance to dwell on my sorrows.

  I took a deep breath.

  I should talk to him. Confront him about the situation even if it'll end in me dying of embarrassment.

  But I don't think I can. How could I not have known- but then again there are a lot of things I don't know and like he said, that's not my fault. I was locked up for most of my life and I had no choice in the matter-

  Yes I did. I had a choice. I could've gutted them and ran away, but then I'd probably be on the 'Wanted' list, or I would've been forced to go rogue and that's never a good thing.

  I chewed on my bottom lip so hard that it started bleeding, but only for a second before it heeled. I let out a groan, before reaching up to run a hand through my hair that was all over the place. I can't tell the last time combed or brushed it. It was tangled in some places and was back to being dry and looked liked it was on the verge of dying.

  Someone cleared their throat behind me, "Having bad day?" It was teasing, mockery at it's finest.

  I let out a breath, and settled with ignoring the bastard like I've been doing for the past two weeks. He still thinks it necessary to annoy the living hell out of me and after not speaking to Ace for two weeks, I really have nothing to say to him.

  I found that it was very childish and it was probably embarrassing for Ace to be seen arguing with a bunch of teenagers and the last thing I've ever wanted was to embarrass him, but I was too blinded by my own vengeful tendencies that I never saw it sooner.

  So I told myself that I would stop entertaining the boy and do what I'm supposed to do at work and then leave without another altercation.

  Some days he seems to get aggravated or irritated at the fact that I don't answer to him or give him my time of day and eventually just walks off, but other days, he's rather persistent. He hasn't broken through to me just yet though.

  But really, I just have too much to think about—too much on my mind—and too much to do to be wasting my time and breath on a dumb teenager.

  I work every other day, most times for the whole day because I'm the only help the librarian has and then I have 'home schooling' and having to do homework and projects and stuff like that that takes up the time that I don't seem to have much of anymore. I only have the weekend, in which I only sleep. I'm really trying to get through all of it.

  "Boyfriend treating you bad again? You did say he almost killed you once and believe it or not, I actually believe you," He says, sounding amused.

  I took another book from the cart and eyed the cover: Greek Mythology. I flipped through the pages once before setting it back on the cart, making a mental note to sign it out when I'm leaving.

   I reached for another book and his hand snatched my wrist. I hissed and twisted my hand out​ of his, "Don't touch me!" I snap, holding back a growl that was building in my chest.

  "Seriously, what's up with you?" He says.

  I swallowed hardly to keep my anger at bay, "Do you not get it?" I hissed, "I don't like you. I don't need you in my life, can you understand that? I don't have time to be playing petty games with petty kids. I have stuff to do and since it's so obvious that you don't, go find something to do with your life." With one last glare at his stunned features, I took the cart, rolling it after me as I went to the next isle.

  I let out a relaxed breath before shaking my head, "That felt so much better." I mumble to myself.