We All Fall Down

83. We All Fall Down

   Julien growled while the others took a defensive position. I wasn't supporting that.

  So, gulping anxiously, I said, "Yeah, let's not do that," almost pulling at his fur, "Julien, let's go." He didn't move. "Listen, if Rosa wasn't here I'd be fighting right next to you guys, but she is and she needs help."

  The black wolf snarled, but took a slow step back. Onyx wasn't fond of the action.

  Saying she was Onyx seemed a bit too personal. Because as much as Onyx talked about killing people and slitting throats on a regular basis, which I'm sure she would do, this wouldn't be something she'd want, and I think that's why she hasn't shifted in such a long time. And if I must say, this is probably the side of her that's dedicated to her love for destruction.

  Her paws started shifting heavily over the snow as she snarled right back at Julien. The grey swirls in her eyes started picking up speed, being affected by her current anger.

  "Go." Christos ordered forcefully.

  Julien growled at him but spun around quickly and started off toward the woods. There was another loud, angry roar, making goosebumps rise on my skin because I felt like she was right behind me and would tackle us any second. So I chanced a look over my shoulder before we disappeared fully, and cringed when Christos flew into the bark of a tree before falling face first.

  "That's gotta hurt," I mumbled, turning back around when Julien let out an incomprehensible sound, "I'm still not talking to you." Then he whined. I never thought I'd see the day, but he actually made that sound.

  I didn't let that sway me though. I kept my mouth zipped, my arms tight around Rosa, and my eyes and ears open just in case I heard anything. Most likely her.

  My eyes continuously searched the forest for any type of threat as he zipped around every tree and boulder while he leaped over the fallen ones expertly.

  It felt like forever before we were coming up to the end of the make-shift dome. From where we were it looked solid, like it was built there, and the closer we got to it, the clearer the sound of crackling became, along the sight of it moving—growing. My heart started pounding when Julien's started going faster—right toward it.

  "W-wait, Jul-" I screamed, holding on tighter as I waited for the impact.

  It never came.

  When I opened my eyes again, the cold breeze was still against my face, but it was darker than before. My head tilted back as I looked up and I spotted the full moon above, our only source of light. I glanced over my shoulder, gaping as we left all the magic and sounds of fighting in the distance. I searched for Karen but I didn't see her.

¿*?

  When we broke through the last of the forest and onto pack grounds, the first thing I saw that knocked the wind out of me was Ace's wolf lying still in a huge dent in the earth. He was surrounded by a number of men and women who seemed to be carrying out a spell of some sorts.

  What caught my attention, however, was the swirls on his fur that were normally red, glowing a now very familiar white. The same went for his eyes.

  Some soldiers immediately made their way over to us and took Rosa from my hold, then helped me off Julien who growled.

  "Get her to a doctor. Quickly." I ordered.

  "Chill out," I heard one of the soldiers say to the angry wolf who was still growling lowly, "We've all seen her naked before."

  Julien was about to attack him, so I moved in front of the guy, and gave the alpha a look, "You are not hurting any of Ace's soldiers." He growled at me and I rolled my eyes, turning away and toward the person who was provoking him.