She Just Died

84. She Just Died 

  Damian's POV

  "Sh-she killed them?"

  I looked away from her blue eyes that were sparkling for an entirely different reason than happiness.

  "I can't say for sure." I replied, shaking my head because I didn't want to lie to her. But I actually didn't know if Onyx had killed her parents, so it wasn't like I was. Everything was a blur at this point. But if I should give into intuition...

  Her thick lashes fluttered as she blinked away the tears lining them. As messed up as she is, I do feel sorry for her. I have no clue if she has any other family—anyone for her to go home to. Even though she has a pack, it wouldn't be enough. And to add to that, I didn't want to rub salt in the wound by telling her she had to leave soon. With her being here for a while and Ace having a hard time not coming up here and ripping her from limb to limb, it was something she needed to know. But it can wait a day or two.

  I grabbed the cane I'd leaned against the side of her bed and let it hold all my weight as I got up. I bit back the loud curse on the tip of my tongue at the sharp pain that radiated throughout my torso and up my left leg as I stood.

  "Why do you keep coming up here if you're in pain?" Her soft voice carried to my ears.

  My eyes opened and I let out the breath I'd been holding as I stared down at her, "I know I can't do much right now, but I'm the only one stopping Ace from coming up here and killing you."

  She's been on bed rest for a week now, even though she'd been one of the people Karen healed during the attack. I still had no clue what to call it really. But since then, she'd been moved to the wing of the house, farthest away from Ace. No one told him where she was, but he can still pick up her scent and find her if he gave into his urges. And considering what's been going on right now with everyone, he was trying his hardest not to.

  Even though Karen healed her, it wasn't enough to give her the energy she needed to get back up on her feet... or the witch just didn't want to give her the strength. I know Karen, along with everyone else who knows what this girl and her family did to Onyx, haven't been very welcoming to her, which is understandable. But they tolerate her presence a lot more seeing as she's far away from everyone else and had given me the information I needed to know where that leech had brought the women.

  I'm sure she has at most the next week and she has to be out. And I don't plan on stopping her.

  Cassandra's lips pulled up into a small smile, "Yes. That." She placed her arms on the bed and started pushing herself up. I could see her arms shaking slightly but I didn't do anything to help. I could hardly move a limb without feeling like I'm gonna collapse from pain, so it was best for both of us that I didn't. "That I understand." She huffed when she was finally leaning against the headboard, and rested her head back against it, breathing heavily. "I'd be... out of your hair if it wasn't taking forever for my limbs to feel like they're actually a part of my body."

  My wolf stirred in disagreement at the thought of me letting her go, but I pushed him down. My mind was set.

  "Is there anyone else..." I started hesitantly.

  She turned her head to me lazily in such a way that it was almost comical. I couldn't hold back my smile, and her own widened. She turned away again.

  "Not really," was her response, before she added a lot lower, "Just her." It was quiet for a beat before she sighed. She lifted her hands briefly and dropped them back on her lap, smoothing out the yellow blanket beneath her fingers, "But I don't plan on staying, or guilt tripping anyone into making me stay." She turned back to me with a smile, "You have nothing to worry about. I've always liked the east. London, Egypt, maybe Asia."