Jason Dickinson (Texas Stars)

Jason,

Welcome home from practice, baby! I'm missed you a lot! So... I'm hiding somewhere in or around the house with two Nerf guns in my hands. You get one (you're a hockey player. Deal with it).

The loser has to buy dinner tonight :)

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Love,
your beautiful girlfriend, (Y/N)

P.S. I'm gonna win. Oh, and I get to pick where we eat.

That's how this whole thing started. Jason had just gotten home from practice to see that his dork of a fiance had planned out a Nerf gun battle for the two of them.

Since they had been dating for seven years, he was completely used to her doing out-of-the-ordinary things. He was used to coming home to see her walking around the house in her underwear, he was used to her staying up at ungodly hours of the night and asking him random questions, and he was definitely used to her buying odd things when she went out. His favorite "present" was the Dalmatian puppy, Captain, she brought home to him as an early birthday present—which also just so happened to be after a Saturday game loss against the Kings.

Jason took the toy gun from the ground and moved it back and forth in his hands for a bit, tucking it under his arm to unlock the front door. He set his hockey bag down as soon as he stepped fully into the house, shutting the door behind him softly. He kicked his shoes off and tugged his jacket off, letting the toy drop into his grip before rolling behind the nearest couch.

After a couple minutes of silence, Jason peaked over the top of the cushion, eyes landing on the cracked doorway leading out back. A smirk made its way onto the young forwards face. He slowly stood up and walked quietly to the door, pushing it open hesitantly. He whipped around the door in fear that she would be there, but was met by an empty space.

The wood floor boards on the patio creaked loudly a few meters away from him. Almost walking on the tips of his toes to avoid any noise, he finally reached the corner of the house. A flash of orange disappeared to the side wall and Jason smiled cockily, knowing he had finally found her.

He took a deep breath and hadn't even stepped down before he heard the click of the plastic from behind him. Swearing under his breath, he dropped the gun from his hold and held his hands up in defeat, turning towards her. Just like he expected, she was only clothed in a big shirt and a pair of boyshorts, hair clipped back messily.

"Alright, alright, you won. It's over. Just put the gun down and no one will get hurt," Jason spoke, eyeing her carefully.

"It's not over until someone gets hit," she replied defensively.

Not expecting her next action, he was surprised when a styrofoam bullet bounced off the middle of his forehead. "Why'd you shoot me, asshole?" He laughed jokingly. "I gave up. Surrendered. White flag,"

"I told you, no one wins until they actually get shot," (Y/N) giggled, sticking her tongue out at him childishly.

"Where would my beautiful girlfriend like to go to dinner?" He mocked her words from earlier.

She tapped her chin. "I was thinking the most expensive place in Austin, aka the ever-so amazing Jeffrey's,"

"Are you serious?" Jason groaned. "I get paid, I promise, but really? You can't go a little easier on me?"

"I'm kidding, Dickinson. We can literally just go to the Buffalo Wild Wings down the street. I heard your team was going there anyway," she clicked her tongue, wagging her finger at him. "You know me better than that,"

"That's why I was surprised," Jason chuckled, throwing an arm around her shoulder.

Something bumped into them right after, making Jason back away from her curiously. Between them stood a very energetic Captain, a bright orange vest secured around him.

Jason shook his head disapprovingly. "How dare you use our child as bait,"

Requested by andasavebyturco :)

I have been pretty bad at updating Barriers and, just like my Seguin story, I'm slowly but surely losing my creativity (I promise I won't put it on hold just yet). Because of this, I've decided to start writing another book in hopes of more ideas!