Matthew Tkachuk (Calgary Flames)

"The Calgary Flames are proud to select, from the London Knights, Matthew Tkachuk,"

It was an almost unbelievable feeling for myself that Matthew had gotten drafted. While we were growing up, he would always tell me that he was going to go at least top five in the NHL draft. I couldn't help but feel sort of smug when I realized he was taken sixth.

His eyes met mine after he came down from the stage and he shook his head. "Don't even start with me. I know exactly what you're gonna say. We all know I was already a little asshole,"

"I wasn't gonna say anything," I laughed, hooking an arm around his waist. "And you said you were a little asshole? Matt, you literally made me fall on my ass while skating just yesterday,"

He snorted and fixed his hat as we walked into the media room. "It's not my fault you're a bad skater,"

"Keith, do I have permission to kill your son?" I looked towards the older gentleman, seeing him smile widely. 

"You always have my permission, sweetheart," 

Matthew shoved me off of his side playfully as he walked off to the media table. "You're lucky you're my best friend,"

Those words. God, did I love this kid, but he was a fucking idiot. After this long, every single person except him knew about my crush. There was always a little space in the back of my mind that was tempted to tell him, but I couldn't get passed what might happen if he said he didn't feel the way I do. It would never be the same between us. I couldn't risk losing what we had, even if it wasn't all that I wanted.

"Hey, girlie, what's gotten you so quiet?" His mom asked, eyebrows furrowed.

"Nothing," I shook my head slowly, eyes drifting off to an incredibly happy Matthew. "Nothing to worry about at least,"

She leaned in closer to me. "You should see the way he looks at you, honey. Friends don't look at other friends like that,"

"You've got a screw loose," I joked, hitting her hip with mine. "Maybe we should get you some coffee before you totally lose it,"

"I've already had my two cups, thank you very much," she laughed. "But in all seriousness-"

"I get really tired of hearing people say that to me, you know?" I interrupted obliviously. "It's been six years since we gave up our first kiss to one another and it didn't mean anything to him like it did to me. He's had his chances and I've had mine. Neither one of us are going to make a move, that is, if he even feels that way about me, so that's that,"

"You shouldn't have to spend the rest of your life regretting the fact that you never said something to him. He's completely unaware of everything around him almost all of the time. I'd be a bad mother if I said he was an idiot, but he's damn well close to it if he can't see what a wonderful girl you are," she put her hand on my shoulder and squeezed it comfortingly, walking back to her husband.

"So who's been the most influential person in your life?" 

I let a smile grace my lips at the question, knowing that Matthew always loved to talk about his family.

"I'd definitely say my dad was my biggest influence growing up. Obviously with him playing in the NHL for 19 years and raising me to watch and play hockey as well, he was a really big part of my life, along with my mom," Matthew hesitated for a moment. "The other person who really pushed me to be the greatest I could is my best friend. She actually flew out from Arizona last minute because I wanted her here with me at the draft. She would come to every single one of my games and practices to make sure I did all I could. I honestly don't know what I would do without her,"

The single tear that fell down my cheek didn't last long before being wiped away by my shaking hand. I didn't know for sure if I was overthinking his words, but they were able to make me an emotional mess.

Matthew got up from his seat after they finished asking his questions, rushing over to me when he saw my distressed state. "Hey, you're good, yeah? Was it what I said?"

I nodded and let out a small giggle. "Yeah, I'm good. Sorry,"

"I heard what you and my mom were talking about," he started, gripping my arm. "And before you try to run, please know that she's not wrong,"

"Matthew, please just tell me what you need to because I'm going to start crying from embarrassment if you don't tell me literally right now," I bit my lip, averting my gaze from him.

"I love you," he laced our fingers, my eyes meeting his in surprise. "A lot. And at first, I thought it was only feelings from what happened when we were twelve, but it wasn't just that, it's not. I love you and I always have,"

I pulled him to me with both arms wrapping around his midsection, gripping his newly-acquired Flames jersey tightly. "I love you, too. Thank you for saying something because I really don't think I could have,"

His chest vibrated with a chuckle. "Why is my mom mouthing 'I told you so'?"

Requested by seguin-toews88 :)