Chapter 19

SORRY FOR THE WAIT, JUST CLICK THE VOTE BUTTON IF YOU'RE STILL READING!

*19*

Harry’s POV

I stood at the door. I had just discovered the walls in the house let every word through them. I heard a part of Evelyn’s conversation with my mother and sister.

She defended me from my mother, while she shouldn’t. My past actions couldn’t even be called mistakes, the word being too weak to describe what I did to my family. Eve didn’t know what I was capable of, what my real side was. Just like with Angelica, I did not want to lose her by telling her who I really was. I lost Angie. But I didn’t aim to lose Evelyn, too. However, I needed and had to tell her everything.

My head ducked down, and my eyes were fixed on the mosaic of tiles under my feet. The idea of losing her made me realize even more that Evelyn earned a huge spot in my life. I couldn’t picture a day without her rare but genuine smile.

As I drowned even more in my thoughts, the door swung open. I flinched as I looked up to the one who left the room. She turned towards me. Evelyn looked emotionless; her eyes shot a blank stare at me, which worried me. Did my family tell her anything about my past already?

I sucked a breath in and made a step forward.

“I think it’s time for me to tell you the truth,” I started, looking into her eyes. She shrugged an eyebrow, waiting for me to explain further. Strong hate emanated from her, even though her face was blank of any emotion. I could feel it in my veins, which froze my blood. “I know it’s kind of late, but...”
She made step forward and placed her hand around my arm. She sighed out. Her cold appearance finally softened when she started speaking.

“But it isn’t too late. Do you know my mother could have used your story to tear us apart? Do you even imagine if I never told you about me?” she glanced at the door, checking if my mother was listening to our conversation. “Your family could’ve used it against me, too.”

Truth actually left her lips. Our families hated each other for years, now. Secrets between us would be an open door for them to sneak into our lives and destroy our relationship.

Her deep blue stairs grew wider, as if begging me to end the horrible wait and tell her everything. I glanced inside the door, noticing two pairs of indiscreet eyes.

I titled my head in a direction, motioning for her to follow me. The two of us descended the stairs and I walked into the kitchen. She silently followed me.

The kitchen was a rather large one. I opened the fridge, since the two of us didn’t have breakfast yet. However, I was surprised to find bacon and an old bunch of carrots. I guess my grandmother left house early, for grocery shopping.

“Do you want bacon?” I asked Eve, taking bacon out of the fridge.

“Yeah, of course.” She smiled, climbing on a stool. I smiled back and turned the gas stove on. I placed bacon in a pan with olive oil I grabbed from a shelf. I could feel her eyes on me, even though she was behind me.
I turned around, waiting for the bacon to bend. She had her elbow against the work surface, her cheek in the palm of her hand, her eyes were staring at me. Her lips always shaped a slim smile, which I couldn’t understand.

“I love watching you cook for me.” She chuckled, her smile getting larger. Evelyn was beautiful, despite the bags under her eyes. I guess she didn’t sleep well, the night before. I think I heard her move out of bed a few times. Or was it in my dreams?

“I think I noticed that already,” I hissed, as I turned the bacon over. I grabbed two plates and put them in front of Eve. Her eyes carefully followed my single move. Then, I served food in her plate. “My father hated whenever I started cooking!”