Chapter 38

Don’t forget to vote and give me feedbacks! :)))

*38*

Evelyn’s POV

An awkward moment settled in the room. The light atmosphere was sucked out of the apartment when our eyes landed on what was playing on TV. I discovered, as a third party how I danced with Lens. I was in his arms. He was looking at me, while I fixed his chest. I could easily remember how I did not want to see his stare. The small sequence seemed to be lasting a while on the screen, as if it were an important scene to show.

My eyes switched between Anne and my boyfriend. I realized Anne was doing the same. Inside me, I knew Harry was smart. He could easily listen to an explanation. I did not think Anne was not. She did not know me as he did.

“Wasn’t it your ex?” Anne asked, as the sequence disappeared to be replaced by scenes that were more general. She did not sound harsh or suspicious. It was a simple question, however, I could not find a way to reply. Something seemed to stick my tongue.

“Yeah,” my tongue finally seemed free. “He had been a real pain in the ass.”

I chuckled, but no one reacted as expected. Anne smiled. But Harry was dead silent. A silence I wanted him to break. He stared at his mother, while I could see all his muscles tense. He was bent on cutting frenziedly with the knife, as if he were about to cut someone into two. Anne flashed me a very worried glance, seemingly not used to such a strange scene.

“What did he want?” he asked, finally relaxing. He breathed heavily, chasing some of the tension out of him.

“He wanted to know what’s going on in my life.” I shrugged, acting as if his first reaction did not scare me.

“I don’t like how he looks at you.” He finally admitted, looking up at me. Then, he threw the piece of steak in his mouth. He chewed silently and calmly enough so I could let myself continue eating dinner, too. He swallowed dryly before turning towards me again. “It made me regret not coming with you.”

His tone was laced with a hint of mockery, which almost tore a sigh of relief of me.

“I invited you, though.” I snapped, playing with my fork. I wondered if Lens would have come to me if Harry had been with me.

“I should’ve suspected it since the whole industry was there.” He admitted, frowning at his own words.

“Oh, why didn’t your company and O’Connor merge, in the end?” Anne asked, which reminded me she worked for none other but my mother. She was aware of all the important documents and projects. At the moment Anne left, Sethi’s was not in the best of the situations. O’Connor was growing bigger at our expense. The committee thought a merger could help, against my mother’s will. She had to subdue to the decision, as she did not want to change her ways about the management.

Sethi’s survived. We were near bankruptcy, but some changes were needed. Everything changed fast and within a year, we’re back in the highest ranks.” I smiled. Something had changed exactly when Anne left and Harry erupted from nowhere. Sethi’s had an old soul and pained to live fully the twenty-first century. Everyone thought so, but only one dared to overturn everything. That exactly happened when my mother was absent and I replaced her.

So many events led to one point. If a small thing had changed, none of the three present at the table would be in the current situation.

“And the other reason is their break-up.” He wildly laughed after my short explanation. He was also right about it.

“A great decision, to be honest.” I pinpointed. Anne nodded.
She had been wonderful with me. Despite her frequent teasing during cooking time, I could tell she slowly understood how Harry was not a simple joke to me. She had seen me wasting my time and playing with other men, which made understandable how she wanted to protect her son. But she finally got it. Her son was different from others.