Chapter 35

Harry’s POV

I dragged my legs up the stairs leading to my apartment. My limbs were heavy, as I spent my whole day going back and forth between Cambridge and Manchester on my bike. To be honest, I hadn’t expect to come back so fast. Though, I had to leave as Evelyn had a very important event to attend.

Just before she left, Eve looked into my eyes, as if asking me for permission, as if she wanted me to stay with her. That was what I wanted: stay with her. I could have been selfish. But I clearly remembered how much she wished to have reunited family. That was about to happen. There was no reason for her to ask me for permission.

I reached my doorstep and opened the door. My own mother was in the living room, watching TV. She was surprised when I entered the room. She stayed in her seated position and turned down the outrageously high volume of the TV.

“I thought you weren’t coming back before tomorrow?” she tugged her brows at me.

“I unfortunately have a much demanded girl!” I laughed, putting my helmet at its right place. My mother was in town for a final check-up on her health in one of the biggest hospitals.

“Poor baby.” She lightly mocked. “Where has your princess gone, again?”

My mother was the kind of very intrusive person when it came to my relationships. I didn’t know how she managed to know so many things. But, in my opinion, Louis was somehow one of her sources.

“In a private jet flying to Paris,” I said, falling into the sofa next to her.

“Why didn’t you just follow her, then?”

“It’s a kind of family reunion.” I mouthed, glancing at the TV. My mother had grown a weird obsession for Mexican movies since she arrived the night before.

“Oh, because you aren’t family yet?” she cocked her eyebrow. I think she still had some apprehension about the Sethi’s, which was completely understandable. She loved teasing me a lot about that. I removed the contents of my pocket to place my phone and bike keys on the coffee table.

“Harry, I told you a thousand times to put things at their places.” She grumbled, pointing at my keys then, at the small basket where I was supposed to place my keys.

“While you put things at their right place, you could make yourself sandwich in the kitchen for dinner. I didn’t expect you so soon so I didn’t make enough soup for us.”

From what I could see, she couldn’t be any better. She had fully recovered. A year to the day, she was in a hospital, both physically and mentally worked out. She had a pale face and very tired eyes.

In such a state, she still wanted to switch into her worker outfit to get back to work. That was how I ridiculously decided to replace her at work. Now, things turned better for me, for her, for our family. I did not want her to waste so much of her strength anymore.  I promised myself she would never ever have to work again.

“I know what you’re thinking about.” She shook me out of my thoughts, narrowing her eyes at me, as if she were actually reading me. “You must be imagining I’m going to make your dinner.”

I couldn’t stop myself from breaking into laughter. She really wasn't a wizard. She questioningly followed my every move with her eyes, as I grabbed the keys to put them in the small basket. Then, I went to the kitchen to make my dinner, as I could feel a hole in my stomach caused by the hunger and the laughter seizing me.

I held my stomach with my hand to reach the fridge.

“I hope you aren’t getting used to their way of life.” She mouthed, making my laugh deepen. I let her cogitate about that while I attempted to find ham and cheese in the newly full fridge.