Chapter 33

*33*

“Evelyn? Do you hear me?” Harry called out, but I didn’t reply. The phone was held against my ear while I stood in front of her like a candle. I let my mother come in when I fully understood her. I was falling from cloud nine when I realized it wasn’t the man I expected.

“Take a seat, Helen. I’ll join you later.” I told her when one of my mother’s assistants rushed in to bring her bag. I just shrugged off and walked away to the kitchen to finish my conversation with Harry.

“You still there, Harry?” I asked, smiling against the phone.
“Please, leave a message. He died of annoyance.” He used a mechanical voice to annoy me. I only laughed off and looked around.

“I’m so sorry. My mother was at my door. I was surprised.” I explained, walking around in the kitchen. I kept an eye on my mother who was having chatter with Francia. They seemed to have a normal conversation, talking lightly to each other. I could almost see that they were about to smile.

“You’re forgiven because of your adorable mother.” He joked, leading me into following him. “And I was saying that I should be in Cambridge by Monday. An international lecturer will develop his theories there, and I think I can stay until Tuesday.” He explained while my heart beat with excitement. Somehow, I had the foreboding that he would come. I had just mistaken the day of his arrival.

“You aren’t kidding, right?” I had decided to be sure about it, just in case my heart would have to melt without any valuable reason once more.

“No, I’m serious, Ma’am.” As I smiled at his pleasant announcement, I could see my mother near the kitchen. Francia was not with her anymore. She did not come in, even though she had noticed me. Words seemed about to spill out of her mouth, as her eyes settled on me, when she folded her arms. Though her look seemed soft, it urged me into ending the phone call. I guess she had some important things to tell me.

“I can’t wait to see you then. We’ll talk later baby. The Dragon is near...” I trailed off at the new nickname he gave Helen. I could hear a heart-melting giggle at the other side of the line. I could not explain how it naturally forced my lips to form a large smile.

“All my love to the adorable mother and her beautiful daughter.” He hissed, which almost stopped me from cutting the call. This was so cheesy, yet extremely cute. The smile on my face could not easily disappear, as I unwillingly cut the phone call. My eyes wandered in the room, as I took a deep breath in, in order to cool off from my emotion.

He could be miles away, his voice and his words sent vibration in my whole body. Breathing happened to be hard to do, as my heartbeat could not help thumping harder against my ribcage.

My fingers slid against the screen of my phone before I ended the call.

“Come on in,” I softly told her, as I set my phone near the sink. She walked in, her eyes studying every nook of my new kitchen. “Do you want anything to drink?”

“Black coffee would be fine.” She said, which immediately made me start looking for the coffee pot. I knew she loved cold coffee so I simply poured the black liquid into a cup and offered it to her.

“Thank you,” she smiled but did not even drink it. Her expression turned a tad more serious, as her eyes settled on me. “I just wanted to check on you. Is everything okay here?” she asked, looking around once again. She never came to visit any of my apartments in my Cambridge, despite her invading character. The fact that she wanted to check on me was a miracle.

“Yes, everything is fine. And if you’re thinking about my problem, I have more help than before.” I flatly said, hoping she did not sense the small accusing tone in my voice. But she did not seem to care, dismissing the words with a blink of her eyes.