Chapter 27

Hii! Please vote and comment xx
Dedicated to Tommo94Haz bc she's a fellow french speaker xD

Evelyn's POV

"The Court declares Evelyn Sethi, accessory to drug trafficking,"

My eyes shot open. My heart was beating faster and harder as seconds passed by. Its infernal rhythm created a stinging pain in my chest that rose up and down almost as fast as my heart beat. My eyes fixed the metallic grey cell door. I stretched my arms in front of me and looked down at them.

I sighed in relief, as I realized I was wearing my own outfit instead of an ugly inmate uniform. Slowly, I remembered where I was.

It was a nightmare, I told myself. The realization gradually chased fear and pain that first held me. I ran my hands through my dirty and messy hair. I was in seated position, my back against the wall and my legs were spread out on the bed. I discovered most of my books lying on the floor. I guess my shaky sleep made them fall to the tiles since they had been on my lap.

For three days, I did not get any proper sleep, even though I was given a comfortable cell, as people said. When the police officer drove me towards a cell, I did not expect to have my own cell. The first night, I felt relieved to be away from other women. I had a bed, a few drawers and even sanitary.

Soon, I understood the comfort could not give me sleep or peace. I rarely slept. As the night settled, after my nocturne phone call with Harry, and I was driven back to my cell, my thoughts did not let me rest. Some demons haunted me. They wanted to worry me and create a feeling of doubt in my mind.

It actually worked, to a point that I barely had two hours of sleep at night. I was afraid I definitely would be declared guilty. The consequences were the worst frightening, from the deterioration of my status to losing Harry. Only then, I understood that these demons were my demons.

Since my youth, my fears had always been the same. In the past, my biggest fear was Mrs. Rosenberg and my mother. Now, my fears were the paps and Harry quitting me. Things never changed, only the characters in my fears changed.

I jumped off my bed and stood up on my feet. I got on my knees and picked up all the books that fell from my lap. I grabbed one of them and placed it above the bed.

Harry used to send me some books with Ms. Vergara's help. As every year, I loved to take some advance in my college programs. So Harry, as the perfect boyfriend he was, slid some books and real accounts as exercises. They became the only escape to my own demons. Studies and work always helped me from over thinking.

But such a cure isn't infallible.

I grabbed another book. Most of the notes I wrote while reading were scattered under the bed. I slowly picked them up one by one. I hated inactivity. Nevertheless, my situation only offered inactivity. That's why picking up pieces of paper from the floor - which was a task I would give to Gretchen - became one of the rare pleasures in my life.

As I sent my hands under the bed to search more of my notes, I finally found one, a particular one. I was stranded I did not find Harry's letter before. It was not a long letter, just a few lines aligned on a little piece of paper.

Hi babe!
Guess who's getting friends with your uptight mother.
I know you're missing me, but don't forget to sleep and eat properly.

The letter stopped abruptly, but it was longer than the one I received the day before. However, it made me laugh. Harry decided to make me laugh instead of pitying me. Everyone else was taking pity on me, so he knew how much I needed to laugh. He did as if I weren't in a cell, waiting for a justice decision. We acted as if we were just in two different countries, sending each other letters and making short phone calls as if we were in the last century.