Chapter 41 - Secrets

Chapter 41

Secrets

It was December the 17th and Paul was finally out of the hospital and back at work. Well, he worked when he could because he had 'fatherly things' to do, Seamus was the cutest little thing ever and he liked me, I think, I didn't really know how to tell it a month and a half old baby liked you.

"Sunday at 9:00...the football pitch again...okay. Love you, bye" I hung up "Dad ain't gonna like that" someone said from behind me and my heart stopped, I slowly turned around to see Duncan leaning in the door frame of my office "That your 'special friend'" he said and air quoted 'special friend' "Uh" I said not knowing what to say "It's okay your secret's safe with me" he said then left down the hall. What just happened? Did Duncan just find out and promise not to tell anyone? Well at least he's usually trustworthy.

"Lance?" Nifer said as we lay on our back in the middle of the football pitch "Yeah?" I said "Do you think you should tell your parents, or anyone for that matter?" "Well Duncan already knows" I said "How'd he find out?" "Heard me talking to you over the phone" "Oh" and it was quiet for a bit "I want to tell them but I think they'll be even angrier than before" I cut through the silence "Then don't tell them" Nifer said and I sighed "I just don't know." "Stop fretting" Nifer said and punched me softly in the arm.

Over the next few days my mind dwelled on Duncan. Would he really not tell? Was he just teasing me? I didn't know. So what better solution but to ask. "Duncan?" I said as I peaked into his office one day after school "Yeah?" He said turning to me "About not telling Dad" I started "are you really telling the truth" "Cross my heart" Duncan said with a smile "or is that to little kiddy for you?" "No. No it's fine" I said and returned the smile. I turned to leave but Duncan called me back "But that doesn't mean you don't have to" an he shooed me away. I trudged back to my office and contemplated. He was right I would eventually have to tell them. But what would happen when I did.

"Dad?" I said cautiously as I entered his office "Lance?" He returned the questioning tone "I...I need to tell you something" I said and he turned around to face me "Yeah?" "You...you know how you told me to stop seeing Nifer?" I said and I saw him start to fill up with rage, a rage that hardly ever came "Go on" he said quietly "Well I haven't" I gushed out and waited for the yelling to commence. It didn't. I looked up at him and saw the rage sweep away from his face "That's nice" he said and returned to his monitor "Im sorry?" I said, shocked "It's nice" "Yeah" he said "I've been over protective with you. Dating is part of growing up. I can't stop it" "Thanks" I said quietly and smiled before I left his office. When I reached my room I jumped and fist pumped the air. I celebrated.

Sorry for the lack of updates and this chapter being boring. I think I'll end this book soon. I have a brilliant idea for the last chapter.

Thank you for all the support! Feedback and suggestions are welcome so leave a comment if you wish :)

-Jo