Chapter 6 - The Accident

Chapter 6

The Accident

It was first class after lunch and I was in Maths which Alan when our principal came in looking for me "Lance Brindley would you come with me" and half the class looked towards me "No! My cover was blown" and I could hear some people whispering about me but I ignored them.

"No!" I yelled in surprise after Mr. Matthews told me the news "Is he okay?" I asked in a lower tone "He's in hospital with a coma" he responded with a look of concern on his face "I had to see him now!" I said and the principal said my mother was outside waiting. I didn't even wait for him to give the okay, I just ran, straight outside to see my mum with Simon and Duncan by Duncan's car. Simon and Duncan looked in shock and my mum looked like she'd been crying "Lance" he said and hugged me "He's okay isn't he" I asked, I wanted her to say it "He-he's in a coma Lance" she said "where going to see him now" and we all got in the car.

I was sitting next to a hospital bed just staring. It was impossible, my cheery, always ready to have fun Dad was now lying expressionless in a hospital bed, his eyes closed and his glasses on side table. I wiped away tears, whoever said boys can't cry was wrong, I didn't turn around when I heard someone open the door "Hey Junior" I heard a voice said, it was Alan and I turned to see him and Owen standing in the doorframe, not looking at my dad or the ceiling, but at me "H-hey guys" I said trying to put on a smile "How's it going?" Owen asked and I could see that he was avoiding looking at the man on the bed "They say it might take him a few weeks to wake up" I explained "and up to a month to recover....I don't know what Simon's gonna do" and I trailed off, looking back at my dad "Don't worry" Alan reassured me "he'll be alright soon enough" "Uh...visiting hours are over" Owen said "we came in to get you" "Right" I said, wiping my eyes on my sleeve an standing up "Right" I repeated quieter as I took one more look at my dad before leaving the room.

I was staring blankly at the black screen on my monitor at Yogtowers, sitting back in my chair and thinking. "How could this happen" I muttered and spun in my chair when someone knocked, it was Simon, "This might seem a bit insensible, Lewis being in a coma and all, but he's gone and I know he taught you how to edit..." He said trailing off "You want me to edit something?" I said, half happy, half nervous "Only because no one else is available" Simon said "it's not a permanent thing" "Uh...okay" I said an Simon nodded "C'mon" he said taking me to my dads office, I couldn't edit it in my room, an he showed me what video and how long it should be and I started. It was strangely relaxing to edit an comforting to do it in my dads office, with organized clutter all around me. I smiled for the first time in about three hours.