21: Wishes

The spotted dalmatian barked aggressively and his back legs raised himself to the wooden window of the slanted firehouse as he guarded his territory. His eyebrows were slanted down in an angry glower as he pronounced his disapproval of the doorbell's chime to everyone outside. He lingered for a moment as the window scowling and then sunk down and out of sight to await another sound to defy him.

Like all the buildings there and most of the stuff, the firehouse was an odd shape not quite the way it ought to be. Stretched in all the wrong places the structures stood strangely either slanted, bending submissively or very wide, ready to burst from being trapped two long.

Those were the two options, be obedient or fight back. The only problem: fighting back was dangerous.

He had walked away, whoever he was. The man with the keys to unlock their doom, he had gone. Whether just a mere janitor or someone working overtime their discovery of two teens wouldn't have boded well.

Set on edge, Quinn and Kenton didn't move for a good ten minutes after they had heard the man's steps recede down the hall. When they finally did, neither of them were eager to jump right back onto the computer. It was too close a call, even that.

The dusty silence settled slowly, once again on the antiquated computers. A thick loud layer; it was evident, sitting so long, so alone. It never had the power to move by itself, but sadly a person could take charge of it by just whispering a syllable. Stuck inert until the time suddenly came to act involuntarily, how it wished to have some control.

The somber teens, sitting upon the ground thought back to how it was, to how they were. It was so different and very new was the concept of deception to them. Knowing of it, but never experiencing hardly any left them open for the fall.

As most would react, they had been amazed with the fact that they had been chosen. Especially eager, due to their circumstances, it sounded like a miracle; one they'd been waiting for for a very long while.

Gone were the days of roaming and nights of hunger. Not having to scour the gutters for other's loses or beg for other's rightful gains. Restless nights on concrete slabs were to be no more. Away with the harsh life they'd been so cruelly assigned.

If only it were true.

Invited in they were, then came out trapped; to be inside forever even when they weren't. From the inside-out they were affected and no matter how they tried, Kenton and Quinn couldn't get rid of it.

It was when they were 'free' again that they noticed the change, and how they hated that there was nothing to be done about it.

The shiny green lamppost twisted into a knot looked better than they were feeling. Finding themselves suddenly standing up was a shock but it was taken over by the immense pain that came to their senses almost immediately after their arrival.

Skylar and Andrew knew, though distracted with the agony, that they had just discovered another message, or code, whatever they were. The pair was no longer in Tomorrowland at all but instead Toontown.

Unlike most places they were not alone, but were being intently stared at by a variety of animated characters. They had all stopped in mid-action at the sight of the new-comers that had appeared out of thin air.