Alone In The Woods

I made turns zig zagging my way through the town. Did I lose them? Yes. Thrilled, I jumped up and down on the street yelling. "I did it! I got out!" my eyes closed cheerfully at the feat I had accomplished. Yay!

Opening my eyes, a villager looked at me as if I were absurd. I felt my cheeks flushed for a second and I humbled my celebration of victory.

I was out of the castle, I escaped, but that wasn't enough for me. I left the street and headed for the woods. Adventure awaited me. What was behind those woods, I don't know. But I've been wanting to do this forever.

I took a break and sat on the grass before I was to go. Trying to catch my breath, I looked at the villagers. Their faces were all filled with discontentment, constant stress, and sadness. A particular man as a matter of fact has finished his acquired job. I analyzed him as he went to another man, and received his pay. He rejoiced for a second skipping away. Happy and jolly as ever, he spotted me and replied good day with a smile on his face, but soon his smile faded when he headed to a bar and used up his money for a couple drinks. The man then changed, enraged at his loss. When he was finished, he wobbled all the way back to his little home.

I looked around my surroundings trying to see some of the good side of the town while I took a break and worked around to see how my villagers lived. Everyone failed to recognize me in such common clothes that I ventured to see a couple villagers more closer.

I watched two teens older than me, a brother and sister as they looked like; the boy was working and pulling some hay as his sister walked besides him with tattered clothes. As they passed me, I couldn't help, but overhear what they were saying.

"Brother, I do not think we will make it to pay for living at the Mrs. Gredings cottage. She wants her money by the end of the month."

"We will make it sister, our father and mother--Remember, when they were here?--they would say if we believe, all will be well."

"Brother-" the girl replied, her eyes with sockets deep, looked at him with pain.

"I know sister..I miss them too. But we have to stay alive.."

I gazed at the lad, he was practically skin and bones, obviously giving the extra scraps to his sister to keep her more healthier than he was. He was quite strong despite the fact he was thin. He was always ready to work harder than ever, just to keep his sis's hopes up.

I was saddened by what I heard and saw, as I felt a piercing in my heart towards these two. Then after a look around the town, I heard here and there for the hurts and pains among my civilians. I kept hearing that it was all because of the war. I did not quite understand for we were the winners. Why were they in sadness and in pain? Why were they not happy for our victory? Shouldn't they be prospering?

I felt the wind blow the bottom of my cloak to and fro; the sun was hitting my face with its warmth. I turned around finished with my thoughts, and gazed towards the woods. Here I was. Wandering around my kingdom to get away from duty, yet all the world was with worry and care.

I walked towards the pathway in the woods, and entered the green lush enviroment. A robin tweeted and a cardinal flew from branch to branch. The trees seemed to clap at my approach; their bodies swaying as if to bow at me. The blue sky seemed to calm me down as I gazed up at it; the white small poofy clouds moving at a slow pace inviting me in for a peaceful adventure. Nothing ominous scrolled through my mind as the breeze rising into my nostrils refreshed me. I walked in a strolling manner. Calm and just watching the surroundings that I enjoyed very much. I was on the path, but I saw a rabbit near the edge next to a thick trunked tree. It studied me, it's eyes sparkling and nibbling some type of vegetation as it watched me.