Chapter 3: Mate Is Awake!

Chapter 3
Mate Is Awake!

Dave is looking at me with half-lidded eyes, though I can tell confusion is beginning to dawn at him. His eyes begin to roam and as the seconds tick by, his eyes flash with something; nervousness and fear. When he sets his eyes back at me, he pushes me with much force I stumble back, hitting the chair on the side that I have sat on for almost 72 hours. I look at him in shock as he begins to hoist himself up, trying to get the IV away from him and flinching as he does so. I head back to him, almost running as I stop him from taking the IV off his wrist.

"Dave, stop," I say to him, panicking as I calm him down. Dave glares at me with so much suspicion that I'm taken aback at his attitude, but I brush it away as his stare becomes suspicion of my actions. I smile sadly at him, taking a step backwards as I give him space. Perhaps he doesn't want to be near me. I admit, I'm hurt, but if he wants this, then it's okay for me. As long as he's happy.

Dave's look on me is still a look of suspicion, as if I'm the biggest criminal that everyone has been looking for and he's deciding whether to expose me to the police or not. "Who are you? And my name is not Dave, it is Peitho." For a moment, he looks like he just wants to bolt out of the room for what he revealed on me.

My brows furrowed.

Peitho is what he said. I look at him with confusion evident in my eyes and Dave wants nothing but to hide his face in the nearest large object that would hide himself. For a moment, my mind processes what he said, but as the time goes by, a pain overwhelmingly greets my heart. I take a step back, sitting on the chair and looking at him. Tears well up in my eyes but I refuse to let my tears pour out. Dave doesn't remember me. He doesn't remember me at all. I search for his face, looking for a sign that he's joking, waiting for him to say that he's only joking and messing with me. But he doesn't. In fact, he just looks at me with nothing but pity.

"Do... Am I supposed to know you?" He asks me, standing up and walking over me, leaning down a bit to look at me in the eyes. For a moment, I see his eyes glow blue, but perhaps my mind's just playing tricks on me. I nod slowly, hoping he would remember me. Dave, I mean Peitho, just looks at the side, his face blank. "May I know your name then?"

"Perry," I say, looking down on my feet, suddenly interested at looking on the floor rather than looking at his face. "Perry Dames."

"Do not be sad," he says, cupping my face. His palm burns on my skin and I feel shiver run down my spine. My eyes pierce with his and I let him see right through me. Dave runs my thumbs on my cheeks, giving me a small and sad smile. "I am sure I would remember you someday. Is this body from Dave's? I have not had a human body since Ean Thomas."

"Wait, you're a... wolf?" I ask him with wide eyes.

Dave, I mean Peitho, nods furiously, grinning from ear to ear at me. "My name is s Peitho! Dave is pushed at the back of my head. He is still unconscious, though. Perhaps I could heal him why I am using his body. How are you related to Dave, if you do not mind?"

I almost say that Dave is my mate but fight against it. If another wolf is using Dave's body, then I should be careful. But still, how come? How did Peitho merge with Dave's body? He said that Dave is pushed at the back of his head, still unconscious. I search for his face again, searching if there are lies but I see nothing. In fact, he sounds very sincere. The way he speaks, he says words with excitement, just like Dave.

"Oh," Dave, I mean Peitho (Damn it!), says. "You are probably wondering why I am in Dave's body. There was a battle happening in the Spirit Realm. When the, um, darkness tried to get me, I fought hard. When, I am assuming, Dave was fighting some creature, I guess he has been transported to Spirit Realm when he got unconscious. At least that is my theory. Continuing, since I could not get out of the Spirit Realm, I used Dave's body to free myself. I do not know how it has been possible, but I am so happy that I am not in the Spirit Realm anymore. It is creepy there. Yuck." He cringes when he mentioned the Spirit Realm, as if he's speaking of a spoiled vegetable that he really doesn't like. Carnivores. He's a carnivores. Why am I thinking of carnivores?