Chapter 32: New Faces

Chapter 32
New Faces
Ean Davidson "Dave" Coffler

"Floating makes me tired," Sophie whines as she flips her hair. I arch a brow at her, running my eyes from her toe to her head and she pouts at me. "What? Spirits get tired, too, you know."

"Come on, just float your way." I say, ignoring the numbness of my legs. Too much walking. "I'm tired as well, but am I complaining?" She flips her hair again and scoffs, turning around and floating away. I smile, suppressing a chuckle.

Peitho keeps whining as well, telling me how he misses Perry very much. I miss him, too, more than anyone could think of, but we're stuck in here, trying to find the damn portals. I'm not stopping from walking just because I want to find those portals as soon as possible and I don't want to waste any more time. I mean, I'm about to lose my mind here. I need Perry.

The air smells like cooper, howling pass through us. A shiver runs down through my spin, making me tremble slightly. I put my arms around myself protectively, throwing looks to my left and right just to check if someone's approaching. This is a creepy place. Earlier I've seen a headless figure who was probably trying to attack me but was too slow to do it.

We've been walking for hours now and my throat is already dry. I need a water to drink. Slowly I'm being dehydrated as I tire myself out from walking and walking. I need to have a lot of energy. If I fail, everyone fails and all will be doomed.

At the far end, in the distance, is white blinking light. I point my index finger at it and Sophie turns around to at the direction of my index finger. Once she sees what I'm pointing at, she squeals, floating around me and throwing her hands up in the air.

"Is that a city? Wait, there are people living here?" She asks with a gasp. I squint my eyes at the blinking white dot, but even if I squint more, I can't seem to make it out. If it is a city, if Sophie is right, could there be any people living in this nightmare? Perhaps demons are the ones living there. Rogues or another enemies that werewolves have. There's one way to find out.

"Let's go there. Find out what it is." I say, giving the little spirit a brief look before starting to walk again. I ignore the numbness of my legs. "It would be dangerous. But we need to know what's in there. It could be the portal that leads to different worlds, or it could be just a regular city."

We walk towards the direction of the blinking white dot. Sophie is too excited to go there, but I don't want to destroy her hopes up. I don't want to expect a lot either. If it's a city, then better; if it's a demon slaughter house, then okay. Peitho has said that I could let him take over.

The smell of the air becomes different. From cooper to a smell of metallic blood, and it lingers in the air. It's so thick that it makes me want to puke all over the ground. As I look down, I see a lot of red and green bloods mixed together, dried on the lifeless ground. I turn around, preventing myself from vomiting. Sophie looks at me worriedly and I brush her off.

"Disgusting," Peitho comments with disgust. "What happened here? From the looks of this place, a war has been held here. With these bloods everywhere... it means something bad has happened."

"Whatever happened here, I don't want to know." I say, coughing and shutting my eyes tight. Peitho nods at me whilst Sophie throws me a worried look again. I smile at her just to let her know that I'm going to be fine. "This is creeping me out. This is something that I don't want to see. Never would I have thought that I'd actually be in this kind of state. Ah, this is so crazy. I think I'm going crazy." Sophie tilts her head, confusion drawn all over her small face. I chuckle. "I'm talking to my wolf, Peitho."

"Oh," she says, eyes glinting. If she were a wolf, her ears would have perked up. She smiles brightly, leaning down. "Do you guys, like, talk a lot?"

I chuckle at her innocence and nod at her. "Yes, we do."

"Can I speak with him, too?"

"No," I tease her.

"Wait, what? You're being boring and I need to talk to someone new!" She pouts and crosses her tiny arms across her chest, flipping her hair. Sophie likes to flip her hair at all. I guess girls always do that. Trisha did that a lot. Trisha had nearly become my girlfriend. We never got a chance to be together. I guess it was a blessing in disguise. If we had been together, then I wouldn't have met Perry and Kieran would have been with Troy instead of Cloud. Kieran is in his happiest form when he's with his mate Cloud. So nope, I don't want anything to change. If I have to go through this alone just to make the people I love happy, then I would happily go through with this.

"Hey, you're being mean." I pout. She looks at me from the corner of her eyes and if it weren't for her pale and see-through body and face, I wouldn't think that she's not blushing. I have a charming personality and that makes the girls swoon at me. Even spirits, too. "Come on, let's go there. Let's find out what lies there."

We begin to trudge again. Apparently Sophie thinks that it's a good idea to float faster. That's what she does, leaving me behind and I yell her name. She doesn't look back. Now great, I'm forced to run after her. My legs are getting sore from walking and now I have to run to catch up with her. I run after her, pushing myself to the extent. I'm panting hard, ragged breath coming out of my mouth as I try to intake air as much as possible. I call out her name again but she just moves faster, ignoring my yelling.

"Sophie! Will you just stop for a sec?" I shout at her but as expected, she ignores me. She skids to a stop, hiding behind a leafless tree. I pant hard, resting my palms on my knees as I try to intake some air to fill up my lungs. "Great...." – breaths out loud – "thank you..." – exhales – "for stopping. What are you looking at?"

Sophie points out at something and when I look at the direction of her index finger, I let out a small gasp as I see two men kissing each other passionately. My jaw hangs open, wide eyes as I watch the two men share spit with each other. The dominant one, the one with the brown hair, is putting his hands all over the man's body and I make a face at their passionate kissing. Once they are done, they both pull away and share affection for each other.

This is the time whether I would just come in and say hi to them or just wait for them to notice me. I prefer the latter. Sophie and I share a look and a giggle escapes her lips. I put my index finger on my lips, telling her to be quiet and she obliges, nodding her head, making her hair bounce as she does so.

I just stand there awkwardly. Perhaps it's a best time to put my hand on my hips, or just to cross my arms across my chest, or just to glare at them. I groan at myself, finding everything ridiculously. I don't know whether to be disappointed of myself or just let it go.

The man with the brown hair yelps as he sees me, his eyes going wide and they both scramble to stand up, dusting themselves off and I look at them awkwardly. The brown haired man looks ashamed whereas the other one is freely glaring at me, his arms crossed across his lean chest. He's probably mad for some reason. The brown haired man approaches me, offering his hand and the other brown haired boy, with a lighter color, bombards me with questions. The dominant man throws me an apologetic look, saying that the other man is having a man period. I suppress a chuckle.

"I'm Brent by the way." He says, still offering his hand for me to shake. I grab his hand and shake it, smiling brightly, glad that I've met a people just like me. Or they could be monsters in disguise of a human. He lets go and Sophie pretends to cough and I arch a brow at .

"I'm Dave, and this is Sophie, my spirit companion."