Chapter 43: My Mate & I

Chapter 43
My Mate & I

I don't know why my whole body freezes upon hearing the Spirit Realm, or the fight. It just makes me freeze. I can't move, like my feet are glued on the ground, as if my body is being paralyzed. My mate peaks out his head, his eyes wide. I can practically see the gears working in his head. He's probably wondering if he has heard what Damien said correctly.

The Spirit Realm is fucked up right now, and we need to do our best to restore its old beauty. That has been the goal in the first place when the Guardian of the Zodiac agreed with the Queen of the Shamans.

"What's happening?" My mate asks me in a worried tone, his eyes going back and forth between me and Damien. Dave is slightly trembling. The person he's talking to reveals itself to be no other than Kieran, his brother. "Did I hear him correctly? There's a battle happening in the Spirit Realm?"

I can see the fear in his eyes, swimming, swirling. I want to tell him that he has heard it incorrectly, but there's no point in lying in Dave's face. Plus, I don't think that he would appreciate me lying to him in the first place. Relationships don't work like that. If you want to keep secrets to your partner, then it's just going to ruin what you guys have. It's not going to be a healthy relationship.

Dave is panicking already, rising up in his throat as he tries to speak. Kieran wraps his arms around his brother, calming him down by saying soothing words.

Walking up to him, I grab his face in my hands and stare at him right in his eyes. "Hey, everything's going to be fine." I assure him, kissing his forehead and he grabs my forearms and holds it tight, as if he doesn't want to let me go. "Everything's going to be alright. You don't have to worry. You don't need to come with us. I'll be just fine and I promise you that."

"Bullshit," he says, pushing me closer. Kieran takes a step back and I give him a nod. Shooting his brother a worried look as he turns around, I mouth to him that I'll calm Dave down. "Is this what you felt when I was going to leave to fulfill my task in the Spirit Realm? Shit... shit... shit... I don't like this. Just stay, baby. Please..."

This is the time that I'm at my weakest. Seeing him like this, so worried of me and in pain, I just can't stand the sight of him being emotionally and mentally hurt. I hug him tight, not wanting to let him go. If I could just wrap him in my arms forever, I would totally do so. But I'm needed in the fight. Plus, it's for everyone's sake.

Perhaps this is the best time to clean the Spirit Realm and to end another battle, to prevent it from growing. Dave's arms circle around me, pulling me closer to him, squeezing me tight that I feel like I'm about to break, but I let him. Dave needs this. He needs me, and I can't just leave him here.

"Baby, we need to end the fight," I whisper to him, kissing his temple and he shakes his head stubbornly. Dave is very stubborn. I've seen his stubbornness a lot. "If you want to come with us, I'll let you. Let's end this once and for all. We need to save the Spirit Realm."

My mate looks at me, his eyes piercing with mine, looking right through my soul. I search for any trace of fear of being in the Spirit Realm in his eyes, but all I can see is the fear of losing me. I lean down and capture his lips with mine, and he immediately moans out against the kiss. His lips taste heavenly as usual and as always. He always leaves me breathless.

"I'm just scared for us," he admits, pulling away from the kiss and resting his forehead on my chest.

"I know, baby." I respond. "I'm scared for us, too. I'm scared that I might lose you in that battle, to be honest. But we have to do this. It may not be our world, but we're going to save a lot of people if we're able to restore the beauty of the Spirit Realm. When this ends, I'll make it up to you, I promise."

"Really?"

"Really,"

Running the tip of my nose against his, he smiles courageously and takes a deep breath, then exhales loudly as if he included his fears and doubts and ghosts in that air he let out. His fingers meet mine, curling with mine and a smile makes its way to my lips.

Dave takes a step backward, running his free hand across his hair and grinning up at me. "Come on, let's eat first before we head to the Great Alpha."

"Didn't we eat already?" I ask, tilting my head, brows furrowed as I watch him.

My mate just shrugs, pouting. "Eating a lot will make your life more productive."

"Says who?"

"Says I, the mate of yours." He says in a theatrical manner, dramatically, spreading his arms out as he raises his chin up. I laugh, shaking my head and clapping my hands. "Now come on. Foods shouldn't be waiting for us. It shall be eaten with emotions."

Rolling my eyes at his childishness, Zane lets out a happy howl and I get to hear the thoughts of Peitho swirling in my mate's head. From what I'm hearing, they are having a conversation about me. Peitho is telling Dave how sexy and irresistible I am.

Dave still doesn't know the mind-link and I'm surprised that Peitho still hasn't told Dave, since we have mated already, that we could hear each other's thoughts now and we could talk through mind-link. Surprising him, I tell him how hot he is, too and Dave turns around, mouth agape and eyes wide.

"How..." he gasps, pointing his index finger at me.

"Now that we have mated already, you can hear my thoughts and I can hear yours," I say, grinning like a maniac. Dave puffs his cheeks, glaring at the distance, his brows furrowed and his cheeks tinting a hue of pink. "I'm surprised Peitho hasn't told you yet about that."

"Yes," he says, puffing. "And I'll kill him for it."

"Awww," I coo, pinching his cheek and he swats my hand away. "Don't hurt poor Peitho. I'm sure he just forgot to tell you. By the way, I heard your conversation at how sexy and irresistible I am. I need to tell you that I agree, and don't worry, you are, too." Winking at him and making a biting gesture, he stops walking and stares at me with his mouth agape. I walk past him and run all the way down.

When I reach the living room, I see Kieran is on the sofa, his face scrunched up in an expression I don't usually see on his face. He looks up at me and smiles, sighing out loud.

Kieran stands up, his eyes focusing over the stairs before training it on me. "I know my brother; he's stubborn as hell and he'll do everything to protect you," he says, putting a hand on my shoulder. "I just want to say to you: please protect him. Although my brother is one of us now, that doesn't mean that it's in his nature now to fight. He's still the same old Dave I've met when he took me to the hospital: caring, lovable, outgoing, overfriendly human being."

"I'll protect him," I say sternly, with a hard face and gaze. I know that Kieran only wants to make sure that Dave will be alright around me but thinking that Kieran has a doubt on me about protecting my mate, that's a huge blow on me. But I can't really blame him. Dave has been through so much in his life that he can't afford to have another very shitty moment. "I promise you that. He's my mate and I'll do everything for him."

"That's good to know," he says, sighing in relief. "I shall go. Cloud is waiting for me and he's expecting you at his office as soon as possible. I trust Dave to you, and I hope you will not fail me."

"I'm not going to fail you; trust me." I assure him, voice set like a stone.

Kieran nods at me, smiling. He pats my shoulder and turns on his heels, sauntering his way outside my house. I watch his retreating figure and when he gets out of the house, that's when Dave appears, hugging me from behind. I chuckle and turn around, bending down a bit to level my lips with his and he pushes himself on me, our lips colliding.

He immediately pulls away and I pout.

Yeah, I'll do everything to protect my mate. I'm sure of that.