Chapter 13: The Awakening

Chapter 13
The Awakening

The erratic beat of my heart tells me that there is something bad that is going to happen today. I just know it. Usually, whenever I feel something like this - a heavy negative feeling, I always have a thought that something's not right, or something bad will happen, and I have never been wrong. It's  something that I'm always right. I just can't shrug it off, but would shrugging the bad feelings off help? I think not.

"Marcus," I call out to my friend who is busy playing Tetris on his phone, rapidly tapping the screen to turn the color blocks so it can fit to one of the empty space. He gives me just a second glance and goes back to looking at his phone. I have the urge to knock the phone off of his hands but that would just be plain rude. Plus, he will never talk to me for a day when I do that; not now, especially when I need his friendly comfort. Cloud is not available right now; he's with his mate somewhere around town. Date, I think. I groan. "Marcus, come on, I need your friendly advice right now. I need a friend; a comfort!"

He shrugs, not giving me a glance at all as a row of blocks has been removed and he grins. "You're a hard-headed jerk, Perry. Even if I give you a very good advise, you would still do the same thing." He chortles, beaming as he accidentally hits the fast forward and the blue L block hastily lands somewhere and that's when Marcus shots me a glare, scowling. "I'm a Guardian, but that doesn't mean I need to spew shits and bitch."

Scowling, I punch him on his shoulder and he flinches, glaring at me and starting over again his Tetris game. I take his phone, and he tries to snatch it away from me but I push him, pouting. "Come on, Marcus. You're supposed to be my friend right now! Why don't you want to be a friend right now? All I need is a goddamn friend, damn it, Marcus."

He narrows his eyes at me, judging me as if I'm the biggest criminal in the world. He sighs. "Bring me back my phone. I'm not done playing Tetris. I am yet to beat my own high score!"

"Nope," I say, being a stubborn bastard. I stand up, putting his phone in my pocket. I know that Marcus is strong, but I did not become the Great Beta of the Great Alpha just because of me being a son of the previous Great Beta before. No, I earned the title. I can fight Marcus. I know that he's strong, so strong that he can fight us fairly because he's a Guardian, but I can definitely fight him as well. "Be a friend and I'll give you a phone, then you can beat your high score later."

"Why should I be a friend right now, idiot?" Though if a different werewolf says that to me, I'd be totally pissed, but this is my friend Marcus, who spews definitely shits and bitch. "I have been a best friend to you before. I gave you advises, but you did not take them."

"That's because I was being dumb,"

"And you're always being dumb," he counters, grumbling under his breath and slumping his back on the tree, sighing as if he has to deal with the most difficult person in this world. Right now, for him, I earned that title. "But anyways, since you're being a persistent bitch, what is it my so great friend that you want to talk about?"

Sitting beside him, his shoulder brushing against mine, I look down on my lap where my hands are placed. I gulp, heart beating fast as I think of words to say to my Guardian friend. "I have a bad feeling today; it's distracting me. I know that something bad is going to happen, but what frustrates me is that I can't do anything to stop it, you know. Lately, I've been sad. Actually, I have always been sad ever since..."

"Ever since he got knocked off by a mutt called Rogue," he butts in. I nod. Marcus takes a deep breath, probably thinking of the best words that he would say to me. He looks up at the sky, calmness and peace are painted across the sky, but I do not feel the same. In fact, what I feel is storm inside me; a heavy storm that is ruining every walls in my heart, letting it crumble down and I fear that I would have to build again, this time, much harder and I'm afraid that I would never let anyone inside my heart, even my mate. "Look, Perry. If something bad is going to happen, you can't really do anything about it except to wait for it to happen, then if the time comes, then you'd have the chance to end it as soon as possible. Cloud said you guys both needed a lot of time. Dave or Peitho, they need a lot of time. If you guys are mates, then you guys are mates, end of conversation. The pull of love is strong, Perry. Remember that. You know that. But it seems like you're forgetting everything because of this problem that you're having."

"I really don't know what to do, Marcus," I whisper to him, honestly. Marcus pats my shoulder and sighs. I focus my eyes on him and he has a smile tugged on his lips. It makes me smile. "I'm just scared, you know. Terrified. The thought of him not accepting me, it's making me crazy. I'm freaking out if I ever so think of him rejecting me, or not accepting my love. I can't really push the thought aside because it always goes back inside my head. Even though I bury myself with loads of work, patrolling the area, just to get things off my head, it's coming back, like a nightmare, like a broken record. It's hurting me. It's hurting Zane."

He gives me shoulder a squeeze. "I know what you're going through right now is hard, Perry. I really do." Marcus says to me with so much emotion. "But you can't control anyone's emotions, only yours. Perry, you have to fight for everything. Fighting proves anything you want to prove. If you want to fight for love, do it. Prove it to him that you love him. Prove to him that you are his mate and he is your mate. Prove to him that you will never let him down. Prove to him that you will never reject him. You are in a battlefield of love right now, Perry, where either it's a losing or winning battle, it's up to you."

What Marcus has said to me, it gives me a new hope in my heart. Before, I was slowly destroying, hurting myself just because of me thinking that I didn't deserve Peitho or Dave at all. No, I should not think of that. I know that I have done terrible decisions and things in my life, but that doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to have a good life. Peitho/Dave is my life. They are my life and love. I can't let him go away, especially if he's within reach; that my fingertips can graze the soft skin he has.

Marcus is right. I can't control people's emotions, but only my own. There will be fear, yes, but I can minimize it. I can minimize it to the point that I can move forward without tripping. Peitho and Dave deserve every good thing in life, and I'm willing to give them the life they deserve. I promise that I will love them, that I will cherish them, that I will take care of them with all of my being. I have to prove myself to Peitho that I will never hurt him or reject him. Dave and Peitho, they are the precious persons in my life. I can't give up on them, especially when they need me as I need them in my life.

No werewolf has to go through the same thing happened with Peitho. If I need to propose this law to the Great Alpha, I would totally do it without hesitation. No werewolf should ever reject their mate ever. No werewolf should attempt to break the Forbidden Law just because their mate rejected them. No one.

A scream wakes me up. The scream is so loud that I shoot up and roll over the bed, swinging my feet on the ground and shivering when my barefoot touches the cold wooden floor. The scream is very familiar, making me weak as I run outside with just my boxers on. I run out of my house, heading straight to his room when I hear another scream. I'm about to trip over a rock when I catch myself before I hit the pavement. Standing up again, I run off to the direction of his room. Zane and I feel the pain our mate is experiencing, and it's very overwhelming. Zane keeps whining, whimpering as if he's dying. We are both dying.

When I reach the room, few people are gathered in front of Dave/Peitho's room. I push them away, trying to squeeze my way in. Reaching for the knob of the door, I turn it around and immediately open it. My eyes land on his eyes; his eyes are turning from normal to royal blue then back to normal.

"Wolves, I hate wolves," Dave says as his eyes turn blue. "Calm him, Perry. Calm him down. Dave is awake!" Peitho says, shrieking for help, then his eyes turn back to normal. Dave is back, and he has a lot of fear in his eyes that weakens me.

******************************

Author's Note: Dave is effing back! Dave is back!