Chapter 35: The Mansion

Chapter 35
The Mansion
Ean Davidson "Dave" Coffler

If there's one thing I really could hate forever, it's that going inside of what seems to be a haunted house just to check if what I'm looking for is there. The crowd – and by crowd it consists of Beige, Dylan, Albert, Brent and I – decided to head inside the house due to my persistence. It just feels like there's something inside the previous leader of the Zodiac City named Penthra Kaztala's house; something magical that could unveil probably something.

The voice in my head has been nagging me to go inside the house with or without their help. Something is telling me that I could find a good news inside that creepy old house. Though I'm reluctant, there's some kind of force pushing me, filling up my thoughts with that house.

Dylan, as I've seen in his eyes, was hesitant to join us, but I see the determination in his eyes, burning like a wildfire spreading through the forest, hope flickering. I know how he wants to resolve everything, and he's doing it because of his boyfriend who's still in comatose; Shawn that is yet to wake up.

We went inside the house. It was full of dust and you could see it through the light that was passing through the windows. The stench of death and blood was thick, suffocating us, hugging our throats with the horrible smell as we made our way through the house.

Albert and Brent said that the house was full of traps, and I have believed them when they said it.

It occurred once, when we passed a broken stairways and the hallway, when Dylan unknowingly stepped on the cube-shaped pavement ground, which is the only different among the wooden floor. A fire burst, travelling across the hallway, crackling and blazing. Good thing we were fast enough to head inside the room Beige had checked earlier before going further through the hallway.

I've never seen a trap in my whole life and it's so deadly. My friends had pulled a prank on me before, and that was when I stepped through the doorway with a strand of thread connecting on the both sides of the doorway, a bucket full of water and iced cubes had been drenched on me, soaking me. It gave me a cold afterwards, and it became a flu. I was stuck in my house for three days just because of that.

After that stunt, we got out of the room and walked across the long and dark hallway, and when we reached the end, it wasn't really what I expected to see. It was just a big window with the curtains opened. My jaw literally hung open wide. There had to be something here. We wouldn't have to go through that trouble just to get here if we had known in the first place that there was nothing here. I was questioning myself whether my instinct was just lying to me or just making fun of me.

Someone screamed, and it belonged to Beige. I didn't see the whole thing so I was left, once again, dumbfounded. When I turned my head just to look at what happened, there was a wall split into two. It was stairs that led to the basement or something under of the house.

Now back to the present, we are standing here, in front of the stairs, trying to see what's down there.

"Beige?" Brent calls out, his voice echoing.

A load groan erupts. "Shit," Beige curses. "You guys need to check this out." His voice is evident with pain, but still manages to make it like he's fine. I head first, going the stairs and gesturing for them to follow me. They oblige.

Taking cautious steps, as we reach the bottom of the stairs, the basement is filled with cobwebs forming on each corner of the basement. The basement is just small, with lots of closed boxes scattered around the area. Everything is messy.

Albert runs his index finger across the oak table, inspecting the dust in his finger and frowning. My eyes scan the area, taking it all in. This has to be the worst basement ever that I've ever seen in my whole life. Before, when I got down to the basement of Manny, one of my friends back in London, his basement was just like another house. It had a small kitchen, bathroom, and a small dining area. There were game consoles, too. It was I considered heaven before, and now what I consider heaven is Perry's arms around me. He's like a home to me. He is home to me, and nothing will change that.

Peitho agrees with me, his tongue lolling and eyes sparkling. I suppress a chuckle, not wanting the men around me think I'm crazy.

"That's weird," Brent says as he focuses his eyes on an object pushed at the back of the basement. There's a black blanket draped on an object, which shaped like a huge box, wide as a door. "Okay that's definitely weird." He motions for us to back away just a bit so he can do what he thinks he should do and I arch a brow at him but comply anyway. I take a step back as well as the others. Brent raises his hand, opening his palm and he concentrates.

Lifting the black blanket that is nearly unnoticeable due to its color and the dimness of the room, he levitates the blanket, placing it on top of the boxes that are on the left side of the basement.

Brent is correct. It's really weird. When he lifted off the blanket, it reveals a glowing doorway. Inside it is like an ocean swirling. We share a look. I take a step forward, slow and cautious, eyes trained on the glowing doorway. I turn my head to look at them and they are all looking at me worriedly. I turn my attention back on the doorway and stick my index finger through the doorway, in the swirling ocean. Nothing. Nothing bite me or whatsoever. I slowly slip my head inside and it's like I'm transported into library.

There are glowing zodiac signs, and there's thirteen of them. The thirteenth zodiac sign is what I don't recognize. I wonder if there really is a thirteenth zodiac sign. I smile ear to ear, happy at what I'm seeing. I slip back just to tell them that I think I've found out the portal that leads to the different worlds. It could be that place. I just feel it. Insticts.

"Guys, it looks like I've found the portals!" I yell, happiness bubbling inside me. "It's got zodiac signs everywhere! Although there's thirteen." I scrunch my face in confusion.

"Wait, we've been there, right?" Dylan says, his head dawning with confusion. "Yes, we've been there. Remember when the desert ate me up and I fell on a dark hallway. You guys followed me and went through it and when we reached the end, it's got portals that lead to each hometown of the Zodiac people? From Aries to Pisces?"

"Yes, yes," Brent says, nodding his head. "It's not actually that long since that happened."

Not catching up to them, I motion for them to follow me and we slip right through the doorway. As soon as we get transported into the library, my eyes travel across the room. The room is circle-shaped. On the upper part of the wall, there's something engraved on it, across the bricked walls. I squint my eyes just to see and turn around. Dylan follows the direction of my sight.

"There's a wolf glowing on the wall, it's engraved." Dylan says in awe but laced with confusion. Everybody looks up, taking a look at the glowing wolf. I follow what he's looking at and sure enough, there's a wolf engrave on a wall, glowing yellow. "There is more, but they are not glowing except for the wolf and the shield." I squint harder, trying to see the others. Something clicks inside my head.

Wolf. Wing. Pointed teeth. Staff. Hand. Shield. More symbols are engraved on the wall.

Wolf refers to werewolves. Wing refers to Pixies. Wing refers to Angels. Pointed teeth refers to Vampires. Staff refers to Shamans. Hand refers to Enchanters. Shield refers to the Guardians.

I voice out my thoughts.

At first they look like I'm crazy, like I have grown another head. I look at them, hardening my expression just for them to believe me. "On Earth, there are other creatures. I'm a werewolf. I have a wolf inside of me. I change from human to werewolf." I say, letting Peitho to surface himself. He takes over my body. Everyone gasps. They are probably seeing Peitho's royal blue eyes.

"I am Peitho," his voice is like a thunder. "The wolf of Dave."

Peitho lets me take over.

"Shit, that's crazy." Beige mutters, his eyes still wide.

I let out a chuckle.

"Now let's find the portal that leads to Earth, or portals that lead to other worlds." I chortle.

I'm too excited to see Perry!