Chapter 22: My Mate!

Chapter 22
My Mate!

Heart beating so fast, as if my heart wants to be ripped out of my chest and run like a mad man, I stare at my mate for so long that it could look like I'm a freaking statue here. Dave is still smiling at me, showing me his pearly white teeth. My heart races as ever second ticks by, and the longer we stand here, the more I can't get a hold of myself from ravishing him right here.

His smile turns bright and wide, and he takes a step forward, which makes me step backwards. Dave runs his hand through his hair, making it disheveled and I feel my heart freeze when his fingers walk across my bicep to my neck. My brain is going haywire. It's like the brain cells in my head have stopped functioning, making my heart shout his name; making my eyes see only him.

"Would you mind telling me how this mate thing works?" Dave asks me with confusion and sincerity in his voice. He looks up at me, those smile of his still tugged on his plump lips. I purse my lips, still staring straight right at him, heart still pounding hard against my chest. "Is it, like, temporary or forever?"

I gulp. A lump is forming on my throat, blocking the words from slipping out of my mouth. Dave scrunches his nose, brows furrowing as he waits for my answer.

"You gotta help me here, Perry. I'm not understanding anything." The way my name rolls off his tongue, it sounds heaven. The fact that I'm still petrified at the turnaround of the event, it doesn't help the situation at all when he says my name like it's a precious art that he admires the most. He takes a step forward again, and again, and again whereas I keep taking a step back. From the other's point of view, Dave looks like he's going to kill me and that he'd be my murderer and I'm just a big scared cat that will be murdered in any second now. Once my back is resting on the wall, my body tenses as his fingers trail across my chest. He hums, which makes me shut my eyes, wanting to hear the hum again. "Perry, why won't you answer me? Don't you want me to know how this mate things work so I could understand it better? Do you even want to give me a chance?"

My head shots forward with such velocity that it nearly snaps out of my neck, I stare at him in horror. Shaking my head furiously, I take a step forward and clutch both of his shoulders, my eyes piercing his. "No, don't ever think that. It was just I'm so shocked right now. Like, it's the best moment of my life yet and I just can't." I ramble, nearly shaking him. Dave chuckles, grinning as he looks down. "I kept thinking that you're straight and that you'd never understand how our nature works, but I wasn't giving up. I was convincing myself every goddamn time that if I could show you how worth I am, you'd realize that I'm something that you could keep like a precious gold. Plus, I was just scared earlier that you'd be mad at me because your mate is a male. Goddamn it, Perry, stop rambling. I'll stop."

Dave laughs, head thrown back as he shuts his eyes. I scratch my neck as I stare at him awkwardly. Once he regains his composure, he grabs my hand and the contact of our skins makes me want to melt. He smirks at me once he sees the effect he has on me. "You know, when my wolf showed me what you've done - you kissed me several times, you hugged me several times, and you protected me, it kind of open my eyes to see how awesome you are. It opens my eyes to see the world not the way I should think of it as but rather see the world with my heart. And I'm surprised that you're there." - heart beats faster, world slowly fading - "At first I was hesitant and didn't know what to do. I'm... new to this field. And the fact that I have a wolf, and a mate, and that it's a man, it's too much to think of. I have already accepted that I have a wolf, and I'm in the process of thinking that there's nothing wrong with having a male mate, or lover. Whatever. I just hope you give me more time."

Nodding my head furiously, I break out in a huge grin. "I'll wait. No matter how long it is. Fuck, I'm so happy right now." I'm about to hug him when I stop myself, thinking that it would be awkward and that I should ask permission first. "Um, can I hug you? I mean, I'm just asking permission because I don't want you to feel awkward. I can give you space, like, right now. If you don't want my hug, that's fine, I could just hug myself. I mean, yeah, I'll stop." Sometimes I think how true what Marcus says about me; I ramble when I'm nervous and eventually would make a fool of myself at an inappropriate time.

Dave laughs again, his voice resonating around the Elder's Court. He nods his head, smile playing across his lips. I wonder if it's too much to ask him for just a good night kiss. I awkwardly lift my hands and he laughs again, stepping in and wrapping his arms around me. I sigh in contentment. The feel of his body pushed against mine, his arms wrapped around me, I say that this is the best PerryXDave moment ever. I chuckle at the word I've made up; I just heard that on one of the teenager girls back in Starbucks when I was going to buy a Macchiato drink.

Leaning down, I take a sniff of his scent, and his scent travels through my nostrils, straight through my heart. His scent is intoxicating, and it makes me want to bury my nose more into the crook of his neck. Dave rubs my back, his body not even tensing as he pushes himself more to me.

Smiling, I lean up a bit so that my lips are hovering across his ear. I whisper. "I'll wait for you, Dave. Even if it takes a long time, I wouldn't mind waiting. As long as it's you."

"People please call medics. Perry Dames is smiling as he works in his kitchen!" My best friend says, mocking me. I shoot him a playful glare and continue clobbering the eggs. I decided to start my morning with scrambled eggs, a few hotdogs, and some friend bacon. When I woke up this morning, I had a huge smile plastered on my lips and it never goes away from my face. It's like it's stuck there. "Seriously, Perry. You aren't this happy whenever you wake up in the morning. You are usually grumpy and a meanie. Not to mention sometimes an asshole. God, you're so whipped."

"Says the guy who basically screamed like a high school girl meeting her crush for the very first time when Kieran decided to agree on marrying you." I retort back, arching a brow as his cheeks and ears heat up. He scowls at me. I give him a smirk. "Back off, Cloud. My morning's great. Stop ruining it for me."

He lets out a chuckle, crossing his arms across his chest, perching his lower back on the counter where the seasonings are placed. "Told you waiting would do you good."

"Yeah, thank you for that." I say honestly. Done clobbering the eggs, I place the bowl on the counter and heat up the frying pan on the stove. Putting a bit of oil on the pan, I grab the egg with the beaten eggs and pour them on the pan. The sizzling and flickers of the eggs being fried make a noise across the room, and the scent flies through the air. "Cloud, I'm so excited. Everything is working out for me, for Dave. Last night, I got to hug him, like a real hug, and the fact that it's Dave, it feels like a dream. When I got to bed, I couldn't sleep properly because I was thinking of him madly."

"That's how it feels to be in love with your mate."

Nodding, I continue. "Dave's the best thing that has happened to me. It's cliche, I know that, but damn, that's all I could say. He's all I could think of throughout the night, and he even invaded my dreams. He's making me crazy in a good way."

"I feel you, Perry." Cloud chortles, chuckling. "Say what do you think if we have a double date? Me and Kieran, you and Dave?"

"Do you think he'd like that?"

"Well, Kieran is pretty excited about that. He was the one who suggested it in the first place. Last night." My best friend admits, smiling sheepishly. "He's been a fan of your relationship ever since. I don't know why. Don't ask me."

I laugh. "Yeah, I kind of noticed that."