Prologue- The Death

Humming to myself, I walked down the hospital halls. Greeting the nurses I unfortunetly know so well.

"Hey Cara," I smiled at my sick little sister that lie there, skinny, pale, unconscious. Her breath was shallow and shaky. 

"I found a new book on the Norse God I was telling you about, Loki, I wanted to read it  to you." I said and sat down beside her.

"'Early Beginnings, In the beginning, Loki was merely a personification of fire and the hearth. As the stories went on, they say he was a god and a devil; similar to the balance in life. Sources indicated that Loki was originally a demon, or a Jotunn, since he was born by two giants. The Jotunn occupy their own world in Norse mythology's nine worlds and are antagonists of the Aesir. Loki, as a result of sharing blood with Odin, became an Aesir, making him Odin's brother. In contrast with popular movies, Loki is actually Thor's step uncle not his brother." I read aloud and looked up at my sister, she was so ill. So deathly ill.

Her once Strawberry Blond hair is now non existing. Her bright flawless skin in pale, chalky and her cheek bones prominent due to the sunken in cheekbones. Her in green eyes, identical to mine, will most likely never open on their own accord again.

"Asgard's Wall. It is said that when the brick mason, giant  of Asgard's walls, demanded an unreasonably high price for his work (he requested the sun, the moon, and Freya as his wife), it was Loki's idea to give him six months to build the wall. Thinking that surely the man would fail, and that Loki's plan was infallible, the gods all agreed; all except Freya, who was part of the bargain. When the brick mason and his stallion, Svadilfari, had made much progress on the wall before his time expired, the gods all turned to Loki, threatening him with death if he didn't find a way to make sure the wall wasn't finished within the sixth month. Fearing for his life, Loki took the form of a young mare and enticed Svadilfari away from his master, causing the mason to lose the bet. The union of Loki and Svadilfari brought Odin his eight-legged steed Sleipnir.

The Three Chaos Monsters. Some time after the wall was built, Loki, discontent with his faithful wife Sigyn, went to Jötunheimr where he wooed the giantess Angrboda. In the time they spent together, Angrboda gave birth to three children as terrible as their father: the first, the wolf Fenrir, whose mouth reached from the heavens to the earth; the second, Jörmungandr, the serpent that encircled the earth; and the third was the goddess Hel, who was given dominion over Nilfheim. In the tale of "The Binding of Fenris", we find that the eldest son of Loki and Angrboda was the wolf which ate Tyr's hand."

I had an obsession with gods and goddesses. Norse and Greek to be specific. My particular favorite was Loki. Cara and I used to study and do projects together as a kid about the gods. Then Cara got sick and after a few years, she fell asleep and has yet to wake up.

"Well, that's enough for today. Bye Cara, I love you, with all my heart. Wake up so m'kay?" I whispered and kissed her cold forehead and walked out.

This was a daily ritual. I'd go the hospital, visit Cara, then go to Jane and Darcy's to work a bit.

"Hey guys." I said as I opened the door and walked into Jane's office.

"Hey Aria, how's Cara?" Darcy asked and I shrugged sadly.

"Same."

"I'm sorry." Darcy sighed as she set the pop tart she was munching on down.

"It's alright, Cara's a fighter. She'll make it. I know she will, she'll wake up any day now." I said cheerfully and sighed before throwing the book to her.

"Look what I got today."

"Damn Aria, how many books do you need on these dudes?" Darc asked and I shrugged.

"The more the merrier." I grinned and looked around, "Where's Jane and Eric?"

"They're out getting... stuff, or whatever."

"That narrows it down." I chuckled and walked over to the table and noticed a spike in the energy readings.

"What happened last night?" I asked looking over it and Darcy shrugged suspiciously.

"You know... stuff or whatever."

"That narrows it down." I rolled my eyes with a small smile and set my stuff down. Walking into the kitchen I plucked a poptart from its blue cardboard box and frowned.

"Don't you have Cherry flavoured?" I asked and Darcy shrugged.

"No, but feel free to get some." She said and I sighed and stuck a Strawberry one in the toaster. After a minute or two it popped out and I hungrily devoured it.

"So, anything new?" I asked and Darcy shook her head. I frowned and open the book and continued reading.

My phone rang loudly.

"Hello, Aria Waters speaking." I spoke professionally into the speaker. Darcy mocked me and I laughed and swatted her arm.

"Ms. Waters? We need you to come down to the hospital now." A voice said urgently on the other end.

"Is Cara alright?" I asked completely serious now. Darcy looked at me concerned and I grabbed my bag and began to run out the door. Darcy trailing behind me.

"... We believe that you should just come down here."

"Tell me what's wrong with me sister!?" I shrieked and the woman sighed.

"She's dead Ms. Waters."

"D-Dead? Th-That isn't possible, I was with her not even an hour ago! That isn't possible!" I yelled as if I were trying to convince myself.

She was fine not even an hour ago! Not even an hour ago!

"I'm sorry Ms. Waters, please, come down to the hospital." The woman said and my whole body went numb. My baby sister couldn't be dead. Not her. 

Darcy looked at me in shock and I started at her with a blank expression.

"Cara is dead."

* * *

Cara was fourteen when she died, I was twenty. This left me frightened and scared and alone.

My mom and dad died when I was very young in a fire.  Now I was alone and I was numb. I wouldn't cry, not anymore. I was out of tears. I was out of emotions.