Chapter 26- The Illusions

I stood in my room, my eyes impossibly heavy, and my head a thick fog. My body was running on fumes, the last of the fumes. I was a living zombie; I was just a shell of my former self. The thought of sleep scared me impeccably.

"Aria, please. It's been ten days, please open the door. I'll be by your side and if you look upset in your sleep I will wake you." Loki pleaded through the door; he had been awake with me for two days now.

I felt sick, the less sleep I got the stronger the fire got. I was sweating and everything was dizzy. I wanted to open the door for Loki. I couldn't though, I had barricaded myself in; the thoughts of his dead body, his blood. Too much, it was all just too much.

I don't feel like myself either, my thoughts have become vicious. My emotions were laced with malice and I knew it would take just one wrong word and I'd hurt him. His constant nagging for me to open the damn door! I wanted to just set him on fire and watch his skin char.

"No!" I moaned in agony and stumbled weakly to the balcony. I took in a deep breath of fresh air, the cool wind doing little to my uncomfortable heat. I heard laughter a few feet away from me. A girl and a boy were giggling as the chased each other around on the ground.

Once they saw me they squealed with delight, beckoning me to play. I smiled at them and weakly nodded. The girl had fiery red hair, straight and sleek with large green eyes. The boy had raven black hair with pale skin and green eyes. He chucked an ice ball at the girl while she giggled and set it on fire.

"I... I'm coming!" I hoarsely called as I climbed over the balcony edge and landed on the floor. My room was on the ground level so there was no threat of breaking bones from a fall.

I gasped as the grass I landed on began to blacken with heat, as if it were going to catch on fire.

Looking up at the kids, I noticed they were a bit further, beckoning me closer. The girl froze the boys fire ball, they switched abilities... how interesting.

Stumbling weakly I tried to see straight. The world was tilting left to right, the children were a distance away. I needed to meet these two though, I needed too.

"Lady Aria! Are you well enough to be out of bed? We heard you were deathly ill!" A woman asked me worriedly and I shook my head; Mumbling incoherent words to make her leave me alone.

I pushed on, gasping as a nearby shrub caught fire. The kids giggled and skipped away, I cried out for them to wait as they neared the Rainbow Bridge. They playfully nudged each other, dangerously close to the edge.

"S...Stop!" I called as the boy looked over the edge.

Hearing the galloping of a stampede of horses I looked behind me.

Thor and Loki led a small group of Asgardians as they charged towards me. I turned back to the kids, hurrying. They didn't see the kids! The kids were going to fall! I need to save them.

"N...No!" I cried as I approached the kids, I stumbled. My temperature was sky rocketing and my heart was pounding. I fell to my knees and reached for the kids, they were inches away. I was jerked from the edge, a large, rough, calloused hand grab my shoulder.