Chapter 2: Portal

Kevin woke up with a start and he sat up straight in reflex. He found himself in an unfamiliar room which oddly smelled of cinnamon. Groaning, his fingers reached up to his forehead, only to find it bandaged and he groaned, asking himself of what might have happened?

            Apparently, his mind was too jumbled up for him to recall immediately when suddenly, two hands pushed him back gently to bed. "Don't strain yourself kid." A deep voice said and he stared up, looking at fiery red eyes with a gorgeous face and silver hair. He was wearing clothes of a fictional character but it suited him well enough.

         I immediately conjured a sharp edged ice in the shape of a knife pointed towards the guy. "Who are you." I asked in a raspy voice as the ice threateningly placed its tip on the stranger's skin who looked at it with mild interest and surprise.

         "How surprising. A human who bears the element of ice." He said in fascination, not the least bit concerned at his situation nor at the fact that a dagger was pressed against his neck.

         "Who are you? " I asked once again and gave him a glare. This time,  the stranger averted his gaze and looked back at me before chuckling. "Pardon me. I'm Mikael Norweigian. A humble knight. And I am no threat so kindly retreat from slitting my throat." The so-called Mikael said albeit bemusedly.

       I hesitantly nodded and the ice I conjured out of nowhere disappeared into nothingness. Just as I was to close my eyes, I remembered everything that had happened last night like a wave crashing into the ocean.

        "Muriel! Where's my sister?" I demanded. At that, his face turned serious. He didn't speak...yet and just handed me a glass of water. Feeling the thirst, I accepted it and greedily gulped down the contents till the very last drop.

          "Can you stand mister?" He asked in a solemn voice and with a feeling of dread I nodded. I want to know how my sister is and where she was.

         He guided me out of my bed and we went outside the room. The warm light of the sun momentarily made me blind and I shut my eyes before opening it a bit, trying to adjust to the brightness.

         We were in the middle of a vast forest with the open sky above us and thousands of trees surrounding us. Looks like we were in the middle of nowhere.

          I looked around and saw a cottage just across and I was getting a strange vibe coming from there to which my curiosity reacted to. Mikael, gently placed his hand on my shoulder and guided me along towards the small infrastructure.

         Catching a glimpse of a sheathed sword on his side, I let him be and we both trodded along the grass towards the said cottage. As we got closer, the vibe I was getting intensified and I was starting to have a feeling that whatever was waiting behind the wooden door, wouldn't be pleasant at all.

         "Before we go in though, promise me you won't freak out okay?" Mikael politely requested while he turned to look at me when we stopped just outside the door. I glanced at the door when I heard a groan inside.

            Having no choice at all, I nodded and he gave me one last look and opened the door. The cottage was not that big, it only contained a bed and a table with a chair on top of it, cob webs were stuck at corners and the room gave off  the smell of the earth.

          A figure was lying on top of the bed and my eyes widened at the familiar face. It was none other than my sister. I quickly made my way to her side and worry ruled above all the feelings that I was feeling right now as I took in her condition.