Chapter 56: forgiveness

Cyan

      Third night at sea... Third day that I spent myself holed up away somewhere, avoiding him as to not disgust nor anger him with my presence.

         My heart painfully constricted inside my chest at the thought and I shut my eyes tight and sighed hopelessly before I stopped in my track. By eyes widened after picking up the sounds and I quickly hid behind a door as soon as I heard the voices.

           "I hate you! I don't know what you have against me but don't you think you're crossing the line too much?!" I heard Muriel's hiss from outside the door I was in. Her voice was full of contempt and hate and I figured then that he was speaking with the first ranker.

         They we're hissing at each other with venomous words, trying to keep their voices as low as possible, still being  considerate enough not to wake the others up in the dead of the night.

         I silently just listened to them, leaning against the wall and sat down on the wooden floor.

         "Hey... Tell me honestly... Just why do you hate me so much?" I heard Muriel ask, she said it so soft that I barely even heard it.

        A few minutes of deadly silence passed by and I heard Leirum speak, the first time ever that he sounded so unsure and so confused I've ever heard of him.

         "I don't know... I don't know why but I hate you so much." He stated honestly without sugar-coating his words.

        A second hadn't even gone by and I heard hurried footsteps going away and I knew then that it was the fourth ranker who ran.

        Leirum's footsteps were the next thing I heard but it was headed in the opposite direction that the other took. I was even surprised he didn't sense me being here. He must have been too overwhelmed by his emotions to even notice my presence. It looks like their problem runs deeper than I had originally thought.

          Sighing, I picked myself up and opened the door before I stepped out from the room and back into the hall. I headed to where I originally wished to go to and ended up standing in front of our room's door and I can sense Rex's peaceful aura from inside, calm and soothing.

         Ever so quietly, I opened the door and entered, trying my best not to make any noise or I'd wake him and I didn't want that to happen.

       I found him sleeping peacefully in his bed, a few strands of hair on his face. Walking over to his bed, I sat down beside him and did nothing else but stared at him. Regret washing all over me. However... It wasn't the kind of regret that I used to have.

       Ever since I learned of the truth, guilt overwhelmed me with every passing second.

       It pained me how much I had pained him in the past due to my actions. I never wished to hurt the only person who truthfully cared for me but I did anyway.

       Unconsciously, I had inflicted him with unimaginable pain. But how was I to know that the person whom I regretted saving was the same person who had cried for me?

       How many times had I pained him already?

       I buried my face in my palms and silently let the anguish and self-pity come out as tears silently streamed down my face.

        If there was someone I never wished to hurt nor ever planned to sadden, it was him. He was the only one who actually cared so much for me. He was the only one that I truly trusted after what had happened to me, exempting Leirum who helped me out so much just the same.