Chapter 49: the void

Third Person's Pov

         Muriel ran and ran deeper into the forest until she was out of breath and could no longer run any further. Panting for her breath in greedy gasps of the cold air to fill her lungs, her tired leg gave in finally and she sat down on the ground slowly and leaned her back against the boulder but never let go of her tight grip around her sword.

        Sighing deeply, she looked up at the red full moon, sweat trickling down the side of her face and she wiped it away while her heart raced, slowly calming down after the long run and for finally having the leisure to rest.

        She had been running like forever through the vast forest, how will her two pursuers  even know where she were when they went downstream, following the river which they thought it's turbulent current swept her when in fact she ran?

         Biting her lips in both despair and hopelessness, she looked around and scanned her surroundings while resting. Dead trees were the only ones surrounding her in a circle of this barren ground where she sat, darkness sweeping off further.

        She was dead tired already but she couldn't bring herself or lower her guard down by deciding to sleep. Who knows about what creatures inhabited the place that appeared without a warning instead of the abyss that swallowed her in.

         She didn't even know how much time had passed in the real world already. She had no clue what even happened to her friends after Cyan miraculously called Rex back from the dead, those demons taking him off in the first place as a sacrifice for this mess about calling their queen back.

        Oh God! She doesn't even know what happened to them after that?! How was her brother?! What happened to her friends?!

       Tears silently flowed down out of the fourth ranker's eyes and she shut her eyes, silently crying and she hated it. Ever since she arrived here, she only felt pain, despair, sorrow and all sorts of other negative emotions and she'd end up crying. What was wrong with her?

        Everything that happened since she came here in this world with her brother,Kevin,flashed by behind her shut eyelids and she only cried more.

       From the day that Mikael saved them... Their duel with Lydia and Jack... Their mission on Earth... And her being trapped inside a black sphere along with Prince Janus who was slowly turning into a demon... The day where they learned about Shingu's existence and about Harumi's real identity... Harumi's death... The interruption of she doesn't know what creature off while they were in the imperial royal ball that left her in a whirlpool of confusion... The real demon appearing as a princess and revealing things beyond expectations... Then Cyan's sad story... Our attempt to save Rex... Him coming back to life and me being in the demon queen's grasp.

         What a messed up sequence-----

         The girl's thoughts were interrupted by a long howl... So dangerously close and she instantly pushed herself from the ground, standing up with both hands grasping the hilt of her sword tightly in her grasp.

        Breathing fast, her eyes widely darted around to search for the owner of the howl, her heart beating erratically in her chest while fear prevailed in her.

          Where is it?

         She jumped a little, looking behind her after hearing the rustling of leaves on bushes. Nothing----

        She whipped around once again after the snapping of a twig and only found rustling bushes.

         She whirled, looked behind her back, at her side...saw nothing. Raggedly breathing, her lips trembled and she bit it, desperately looking for whatever was playing with him.