Chapter 1

Demons are peculiar creatures, they're mostly closed off with other species besides those found in hell. It's like they have all silently agreed on a specific set of rules. Except us humans don't know the full story of most of them.

First of all, Demons are not trapped in hell, they just prefer to stay there, it's home, but they can leave if they so wish.

Secondly, Demons do not intend to come off as snarky or spiteful, that's just their nature, they actually have good intentions and want to protect humans, unlike other creatures. But mischief and rebellion is just in their blood.

----------

In fact, for centuries there have been Guardian demons sent to protect humans, and not to make them evil, just to protect them from harm, but Guardian demons are different from Guardian angels, because Guardian demons have to be around the humans they're protecting, or else they're not protected. Weird right? But they have to be different from the Angels, you know, rivalry and all that.

So that's where our story begins...

--------

It was a regular day in hell, demon children were just getting out of school, the hell hounds dashed around the streets in delight as their owners returned from their errands, nothing out of the ordinary, except it was choosing day.

Which meant shit was about to go down.

--------

Choosing day was the day two demons would be picked to protect a group of humans, to be picked was an honor, even though the demons would be gone for a long time. In fact some of them still hadn't come back, shocker right?

Time goes slower in hell, unfortunately that stereotype is true, looks like humans got one part right. Good for them.

But, this choosing day, the demons that were chosen are a bit...inexperienced.

---------

"Evan! Come on, the ceremony is happening!" Craig yelled as he dashed towards the middle of town, Evan trailing behind him, wishing he could go home.

"The ceremony never starts on time, quit rushing you excited bitch." Evan mumbled under his breath as he walked forward, almost fifty feet behind Craig, his hands shoved into his black hoodie pockets as he played with his lip ring, the cool black metal moving as he pushed it around with his tongue. It was something he often did when he was nervous.

Craig ignored his friend's sour mood and continued happily towards the center square, where a large crowd had already begun to form. Usually, demons come from all over to witness this ceremony. Rumor has it that you can only be chosen if you attend, so it was basically a free trip to the human world. If you were chosen, of course.

Just looking at the crowd Evan wanted to vomit. There were way too many people there for his liking, he had no idea how he could stand this every year. Then he remembered he lived with Craig, who loved to attend social events. Oh, wasn't he a lucky one.

You see, Craig and Evan had lived in the same house since Evan was eight. So Evan was used to Craig dragging him to different social events when Craig's parents didn't want him to be alone, no matter how much Evan complained about it or how much he absolutely despised social events. Because no one gave a shit about what he wanted, did they?

When they finally reached the crowd, Craig looked for someone he knew. Once his eyes landed on his friend Chilled, he gripped Evan's wrist and dragged him with him as he walked towards Chilled, but it was more like running really.

Evan tried to pull his wrist from Craig's grip, yanking his arm back repeatedly, yet Craig kept a firm grip. Evan, not wanting to rip his hoodie, finally gave up and just let Craig drag him towards his friend. It annoyed him that he hadn't gotten to used to this yet.

Once Craig had finally reached Chilled, he released his grip on Evan. Not taking notice of Evan rubbing where Craig had gripped him, as well as pushing his hair out of his face by running his fingers through it.

"Hey Chilled! Can you believe it's already Choosing Day?" Craig said, greeting his friend even though he had seen him a few hours earlier at school.

"Hey Mini, I know right? It seems like last year's Choosing Day was yesterday. Hey Vanoss, how's your wrist? Did Mini finally break it this year?" Chilled asked, obviously taking notice of Evan rubbing his wrist. He used the nicknames he had given the boys when they were younger, Mini Ladd-or just Mini for short- and Vanoss.

"Hey Chilled, he didn't break it this time. Maybe next year." Evan joked, now examining his hoodie to make sure Mini didn't rip it. Once he was sure his hoodie was in tact, he looked up at the raised platform in the middle of the crowd, the platform where they chose the demons who would protect a group of humans this year.

Oddly enough, it seemed that the ceremony was about to start, so he slugged Mini in the arm-mostly to catch his attention but also to get him back for nearly breaking his wrist-  and he pointed towards the platform, where they were already trying to quiet the excited crowd of demons in the only way demons knew how.

"Attention everyone! The ceremony is about to begin! So shut up you filthy maggots!" Estherion, the demon who runs the choosing ceremony, shouted to the crowd, who was now silent.

"Looks like it started on time this year." Evan mumbled to himself as two demons joined Estherion on the platform. Those must be this year's gatherers. Evan thought to himself, waiting for the ceremony to commence.

------------

Craig was excited, looking up at the raised platform, wondering who was going to be chosen this year. He was always excited to see who was going to be chosen, it has always interested him.

Thunder cracked through the air around the gathering of demons in town square. This signaled that the demons were being chosen, it was only a matter of time before everyone knew who it was going to be.

The crowd looked in every direction, waiting to see or hear someone fall, to show that they've been chosen.

It was completely silent, the only thing you could hear was the roar of thunder around the demons.

Until two screams ripped through the air, both Evan and Craig screamed as they felt pain explode through them. All the demons watched in horror as the two teenagers clutched at their heads, still crying out in pain before collapsing to the ground, unconscious.

The crowd made a path for the gatherers as they made their way towards the passed out teenagers. Whispers slid through the crowd as it started to disperse behind the gatherers, who now had reached the teens. Chilled looked terrified as he watched two of his friends get carried off to Lucifer knows where by the gatherers.

The entire crowd had broken up by now, but their eyes were still glued on the gatherers, because it felt wrong. This year, two teenagers were chosen to be Guardians, but to be chosen, you have to be at least 24. Those were the rules, those have been the rules for years.

So why would they change them now?