Chapter 12

Sorry for the late update, I wasn't feeling well earlier and was on the verge of passing out at school so I went home and fell asleep. :/

Enjoy! :)

-------------------------

It was Friday, the two demons' fifth day at school, human school to be precise, but of course you already knew that.

To recap, the only remotely eventful things that have happened between the small group so far is the chatter at lunchtime about the fight Evan had caused between him and Mr. Bishop that day. Surprisingly enough, no two arguments of theirs were the same, even though the class had yet to stray from the topic of the War of 1812. Regardless, Mr. Bishop has yet to send Evan to the office once again, obviously convinced he would get fired if he did.

But I digress, it's lunchtime and the group is discussing weekend plans. Mr. Bishop had the common sense to call in sick that day, so no drama had occurred between Evan and the old man. Instead it was a substitute who could probably care less about what the students had to do, allowing them to freely use their phones and chat while she did whatever substitutes do instead of teach.

It was Tyler who had started the conversation, midway between bites of his food, everyone else, except Evan and Craig, doing the same. The two demons hadn't tried much human food, so they didn't want to eat what the cafeteria was serving.

"So, you guys want to have a sleepover at my place?" Parts of his speech were muffled by the food he was chewing on, but the boys could make out his question.

Evan glanced at Craig, wondering if he knew what Tyler was talking about. His friend gave a slight shake of his head, he had never heard of a 'sleepover' before. Apparently, they were the only ones as well, must be a human thing.

Their friends looked at the two expectantly, waiting for their answer. With a quick glance at the boy sitting next to him, Evan spoke. "Um, what's a 'sleepover'?"

The table broke into laughter, obviously thinking it was a joke until they saw the confusion on the boys' faces. "Wait, you're serious?" Brian asked in disbelief.

Evan and Craig nodded. "Yeah, what is it?" Craig asked, pushing a few stray strands of his hair out of his eyes before they could bother him. Meanwhile, Evan tugged at his earrings, messing around with the matte black circle stuck in his ear.

The guys looked at each other, debating who was going to make the leading statement, who was going to explain to the two teenagers what a sleepover is.

"Well, it's like what the name says. You sleep over at a friend's house, except most of the time you don't sleep. Instead you stay up watching TV, watching video games, playing stupid games, and eating takeout food until two in the morning." Lui explained, nodding at his own statement as if he was making sure he was correct.

"Yeah that sounds pretty accurate." Brock said casually as he was just about finishing off his food while some of the others had already left to dump their tray in one of the many trashcans littering the cafeteria.

"Oh." The two boys said together, nodding in understanding. They definitely never had sleepovers in Hell, no one wanted to be around other demons for longer than they had too.

Good friends were hard to come by, they were lucky to have Chilled, and even then he wasn't as good of a friend as humans were.

Because humans were loyal, and demons were selfish.

-----------

The group of boys made their way to Tyler's house, after successfully convincing Craig and Evan to tag along.

Tyler, of course, led the way, while the two demons stayed close to the back of the group, trying to hide their nerves.

Everyone else was talking loudly and excitedly, as per usual, hardly paying any attention to the two trailing behind them.

"So, do you think anything bad is going to happen here?" Evan asked his friend, his voice just loud enough for only Craig to hear him.

The other boy shook his head. "No, from the way the humans talk about it, it seems like fun."

"But is human fun the same as demon fun? What if their idea of fun is totally different from ours?"

"Then I guess we'll suffer together, won't we?" Craig replied in an irritated voice, demons didn't really have an attention span for topics that didn't interest them.

"You're a real ass sometimes, you know that?" Evan retorted, rolling his eyes.

"It's what I live for." His friend replied sarcastically.

"Fuck you, asshat." Evan growled as he stormed ahead, falling in step next to Jonathan, who looked a bit alarmed at Evan's angered state.

"Whoa, Ev. You ok? You look like you want to murder somebody." Jonathan asked, concerned as he glanced back to notice a fuming Craig.

"Craig is just being a dickhead like usual, although I could do with a nice murder." He replied truthfully, immediately thinking of several different methods of murder.

Jonathan laughed, thinking of Evan's reply as a joke. Guess most humans joke about murder rather than consider it, he thought to himself as he tried calming down, producing a light chuckle himself as he mentally noted his thought.

After the two had stopped laughing, Jonathan changed the subject, realizing it would be the best way to calm down his friend. And almost immediately the two were deep in conversation.

Craig, still stood behind the group, watched as Evan and Jonathan spoke, envious of Evan's capability to become so comfortable around humans so easily. Even though his friend had never been very social with other demons, Craig had always thought Evan would find it especially hard to make friends with humans.

So Craig now walked behind the group of boys as they continued their walk to Tyler's house, completely alone as he watched his friend laugh with Jonathan. He noted how happy he looked, laughing quite loudly and smiling the entire time, it was such an alien sight to Craig, since all he had ever seen was Evan being his usual quiet and moody self, never this happy, bright, smiling individual just a few footsteps in front of him. He almost wanted to smile if not for the fact he was still brooding over his previous argument with the boy, so his lips stayed in a tight line as he continued walking, thinking of the mysteries known as humans.

Humans were very odd creatures, the way they went about their lives in such different ways, the way they were all unique, the way they were passionate about things, how peculiar their emotions were. And especially the fact that meeting a human, whether you are one yourself or another creature, can sometimes change you for the better.