Chapter 56

Last chapter guys, epilogue tomorrow

------------------------------------------------------

It happened so fast, faster than any moment in his life. Like when you fast forward during a movie to return where you left off.

It was fast when his vision cleared just enough to see the creature in front of him pull the trigger of the gun. He saw death coming straight for him, so he closed his eyes.

He didn't see Evan kick Sutton where the sun didn't shine, ripping away from his grip as he fell to the ground in pain.

He didn't see the creature in front of him slightly lower his gun in shock as he fired the shot.

Finally, he didn't see Evan use all of his remaining strength to jump between Jonathan and the bullet zooming straight for him. Or the sudden flash that occurred when the bullet made contact.

But, when he opened his eyes, he did see that the creature was still and unmoving, and he felt Tyler undo his bindings that were keeping him chained to the wall.

He looked down, and saw Evan, a pool of blood growing around him, still and quiet, his chest barely moving.

Falling to his knees, he crawled towards the hybrid in concern and shock, turning him so he was on his back.

"Evan, Evan talk to me." He shook him, no response. Blood poured from the hole in his chest, while his shirt clung to the gash in his stomach.

"Evan, don't leave me, please. You didn't have to save me, why would you save me? I was so horrible to you, so why'd you do it? Why? Damnit, Evan please, don't do this." The tears were back as he lifted Evan's head gently, hearing Tyler softly wake up Craig behind him.

"Talk to me, Ev, I love you. You hear me? I love you! I....I.....I love you, please....come back." His breathing slowed, and unlike the last few moments, time was now in slow motion.

This was his last opportunity, Jonathan realized, to hold Evan in his arms and feel his warmth, his comforting warmth.

"Kiss him already, fuck head!" Tyler shouted behind him. "You'll regret it if you don't." He was crying too.

Jonathan didn't want to, it wouldn't work, out of everything, that was probably one of the few things he learned.

Love doesn't fix everything.

And it certainly wouldn't fix this moment, a kiss wouldn't make Evan look at him like he was the only thing in the world again, wouldn't make him forgive him for everything that's happened. In fact, all it was gonna do, was make everything worse.

Because it couldn't bring him back.

But still, he did it. He kissed him, he pressed his lips against Evan's until he felt them grow cold, until his skin sent a shiver down his spine, and made goosebumps appear on his arms, until his body got still and Jonathan could feel the absence of life in his own body.

When he pulled away, he felt a pit of emptiness grow in his stomach, a feeling he didn't deserve to feel after everything he had done.

---

And oh, that kiss, his kiss, was going to be the death of him.