Chapter 24

Hey it's an American holiday and I don't have school so here's an extra update! Hope you like it. Next one's a long one, and I heard there's a feels train you might want to hop on. ;)

---------------------

Evan's anger was out of control that day, he snapped randomly at people, even if they asked in a nice voice and there was nothing remotely angry about it. Several kids ran away from him after they accidentally bumped into him, apologizing profusely as if he was going to kill them if they didn't. Bottom line, he was not in a good mood.

He also barely spoke, which Craig was used to, but it even scared him.

When it came time to go to Mr. Bishop's class, both Craig and Tyler were terrified of what Evan was going to do. They sat down, and it wasn't long after class had started that the teacher asked Evan a question. Evan answered as he normally would, stating the correct answer with a snappy tone.

Mr. Bishop opened his mouth to make a comment on Evan's attitude, but the boy shot him a look that shut him up. Today was not the day to mess with him.

Lunch was tense, Evan had his head down on the table as everyone spoke around him. Craig still sat next to him because he was the least afraid of what his brother could do.

Halfway through lunch, Evan stood up, shocking everyone into silence because anger still followed him around. Without a word, Evan left the cafeteria, he made a stop at his locker for his backpack, then went out a side entrance.

He didn't know where he was going, but he knew that he was not going to spend another second of his life at school.

------------------------

"Craig, what did you do to him?" Tyler asked once they were sure Evan had left. "I've never seen him so angry, and he's been angry around us before."

Craig gulped, knowing that the question was going to pop up eventually. "I said some things that I shouldn't have, things that I knew would get on his nerves."

"Why? What were you arguing about?" It was a dangerous question, and Jonathan knew he wasn't getting an answer as soon as he said it.

The demon was at a crossroads, he could admit part of the truth, and risk Evan being even more angry, or he could be vague and lie, like usual.

"It was a stupid argument, I started it." He replied, it was a safe option.

"But what was it about?" Tyler pushed, knowing that he could get Craig to spill. This could be their only opportunity to learn more about the two boys.

"Family stuff." It was a half truth, this morning had been about family, but Saturday night, not so much.

The answer made the guys back off, defeated, there was no way they would try to get information about their family. That was an invasion of privacy, it was wrong.

But wasn't it more wrong to shut your friends out?

----------------------

The words swam through Jonathan's head all day, the words he shouldn't have heard. The words that Craig had spat at Evan, the wrong words.

Yeah, well, you know what, Ev? Your mom is dead, so you have no right to shit on mine.

Evan had gotten so upset hearing those words, and Jonathan couldn't help but feel curious. He wanted to know more about what happened, about how those two met, but he shouldn't. He shouldn't have heard anything, but he did. And now he can't stop reliving that moment.

In his head he had let out a small gasp, but in reality he had been too overwhelmed by hearing Craig say those words. It wasn't something you just say when you snap at someone, it meant that there was more to their argument, and now Jonathan was drowning in questions.

At lunch, he had tried to feed his curiosity, to no avail, all he got was a vague, two-worded answer. Family Stuff, but it went deeper.

And somehow, Jonathan knew that he'd get his answers soon. Something told him that they were right around the corner.

The time was 11:23 pm when his answers called him on his phone.

------------------

Evan was seething, alone in his room, his door shut and locked despite being the only one at home. He had one ear bud lodged in his left ear, while the other one was out so he could listen for when Craig came home. His laptop was open to Netflix once more.

For some reason, he felt the urge to see what happened next in the ludicrous love story of empty promises and jars full of lies. Even if he found the slightest of happiness in the show, his hateful look stayed glued to his face.

His eyes were slightly bloodshot, and the skin around them was a bit puffy from the small spurts of tears that had come over him since he arrived home. Even now he still had to wipe his sleeve over his face as he tried to relax.

During a slower episode, Evan allowed his thoughts to drift, not really focusing on anything, but they did. They zoomed in on what Craig had said earlier in the day, the last thing he had spat at him.

Anger surged through him as he remembered, Craig hadn't talked about his mom, or either of his parents, in years, not since he had moved in when he was eight. And when he tried to talk about, Evan had shot him down and made him promise to never bring it up again.

He just broke his promise, one of the only promises he had made to Evan, and he broke it.

Evan clenched and unclenched his fist, the muscles in his forearm flexing as he thought of the irony. Craig had been so hung up on following the rules, but he had completely neglected the rules he had made with Evan.

There was only two rules, how hard were they to follow?

He paused the show, consumed with so much anger that he couldn't focus on the main character's ex-wife coming back and confessing her love. He could care less about heart breaking, tear jerking love triangles between fictional characters right now.

He remembered taking out his earbud, and shutting his laptop.

He didn't remember unlocking his door, or walking to the full length mirror in the hall way, all he knew was that he had a burning desire to break something.

He didn't remember punching the mirror once, giving it a large and noticeable crack, or glaring so hard at the damn thing that it practically exploded.

He remembered quickly moving his forearm up to protect his face from stray glass bits.

He didn't hear the door open as blood ran down his arm, several large pieces of glass impaling him.

He didn't remember sinking to his knees, his gaze fixed on his wounds as the scarlet blood pooled at their bases.

And he certainly didn't remember blacking out as soon as Craig reached the top of the stairs.