Chapter 21

"Craig, have you seen Evan? He isn't answering any of my texts or calls, is he there?" Jonathan didn't even give Craig a chance to say hello as he started speaking as soon as Craig had picked up.

The boy yawned before answering, rubbing his eyes as he responded. "Nope, he left before I woke up, he isn't here. But don't worry, I'm sure he's fine."

"He's not there?! But, what if something had happens to him? He has a concussion, Craig! And a really bad one, you can't just expect him to be okay, he's barely had time to heal!" Jonathan protested, worry rising in his voice.

Craig sighed, rubbing the tips of his fingers against his forehead. "Jonathan, listen to me, Evan isn't stupid. He knows what and what not to do. I've known him for years, and he loves to explore. He's probably just in town, having fun and causing trouble. Trust me, he can handle himself out there."

Finally, Craig could hear Jonathan sigh over the phone. "Fine, I just wanted to invite you guys to see a movie tomorrow, everyone else is going. I just- well, Evan is my go-to when inviting both of you and he didn't answer and I got worried. Sorry."

"It's fine, dude. I'll definitely tell Evan when he gets home, just don't worry, okay? He's fine." Craig said reassuringly, exchanging goodbyes and placing the phone on his desk, pulling his laptop into his lap as he leaned back in the chair he was sat at, continuing to explore different genres of music.

----------------

Evan was not okay, well, mentally at least, physically, the only thing wrong with him was his healing concussion. But his nerves were bouncing off the wall as he sat in the mayor's limo, the man himself staring straight at him.

"I take it you've been in a limo before." He said, somehow his voice sounded more official now that Evan knew who he was.

He nodded without thinking. "Yeah, tons of times." He answered, hoping he didn't sound like a privileged rich kid.

The mayor nodded thoughtfully. "What's your name?" He said, his voice apologetic as if he had said something rude.

"Evan." The boy replied immediately, not even hesitating as he got used to the surroundings.

"Well, Evan, how long have you lived here?" The man had switched positions, he was now sitting up straighter in his seat to make it seem like he was paying more attention.

"A few weeks. My brother and I just moved here from England." Evan didn't think about it as he answered with ease.

"England? No offense, but you don't sound British." Mr. Mayor said, a hint of surprise hidden underneath his mayoral voice. Hell, he might have even stifled a small chuckle.

"Oh, I'm not, my brother is. I'm originally from Canada, but was adopted at age 8." Evan's attention now snapped back into manual mode, he couldn't afford to let anything out of the ordinary slip.

Steady conversation begin to flow between them as they were driven to the Town Hall.

----------------

Evan had never been to a Town Hall, but it wasn't anything impressive, he decided. It was big, and had white columns for both aesthetic and support, and the whole building itself reminded him of the White House.

The mayor's itself was neatly organized yet messy at the same time, the walls were painted dark blue and the trimming was pure white. The desk looked to be made from dark oak and behind it was an office chair made from matching wood and cloth with a ring of wheels underneath it. There was a standard windows computer sitting on top of the desk and scattered all around it were stacks of paper and office supplies. Three filing cabinets were spread throughout the room as well as a couple bookshelves.

The secretary kept glancing over at Evan as he leaned against the wall while she spoke to the mayor. Evan didn't mind, he figured that she probably thought he was a gang member or something because of his intimidating appearance, complete with piercings and an aura of overconfidence and anger.

Evan's eyes quickly darted up to meet her's, causing her to panic and drop the papers in her hands. He saw that the way she was frantically collecting them it was going to take a while so he silently walked over and helped her pick them.

They both stood up, and Evan flashed her a smile as he handed the papers over. She squeaked out a quiet 'thank you', said goodbye to the mayor and scurried out of the room.

Evan turned to the mayor with a grin. "Well, isn't she a fun one?"

"Don't mind her, she's not used to me bringing teenagers into my office. Especially not ones that, no offense, look so....alternative." The mayor said with an apologetic smile.

He shrugged. "I don't care. Anyway, what exactly am I doing here? Did you call the media or something? Am I supposed to do a news report or something like that? Because if that's what's happening, then I can just leave." He made a move towards the door, but the mayor stuck his hand out.

"No, nothing like that. Please, just take a seat. Let's talk, I wanna get to know the man who saved my life." He gestured to the seat in front of him.

Hesitantly, Evan sat down, resting his bag next to the leg of the chair as the mayor jumped straight in with the questions.

--------------------------

The sound of the front door echoed through the house as Evan walked in, Craig emerging from the living room to meet him.

"Ev! You're back! Where have you been? Jonathan would not stop texting me, I swear." He exclaimed, following his brother up the stairs.

Evan rolled his eyes. "Come on, I've only been gone all day, it's not a big deal. I was just chilling at Town Hall." He said coolly.

Craig stopped in his tracks, a questioning look in his eye. "Town Hall? What the fuck were you doing at Town Hall?"

Evan shrugged, making it seem like no big deal. "I was just talking with the mayor, he wanted to repay me for saving his life." Hurrying to his room, he dropped off his stuff and was about to close the door but Craig was already there, a glare in his eye.

"You saved the mayor's life?" Evan nodded. "How stupid can you be, Ev? The point of us being here was to not draw attention to ourselves! And you decide to just save the mayor? What the hell, Ev?" Craig glared at him accusingly.

"I know what the point of being here was! But you can't expect me to just let someone get hit by a motorcycle when I can prevent it!" Evan's voice raised as he spoke.

"Well, you should have. But you were too selfish and had to save him, causing you to draw unnecessary attention to yourself!" Craig's hands balled into fists at his sides.

"Selfish? I was being selfish? I saved a man's life, Craig! What is so selfish about that?" He countered, his eyes darkening with anger.

"The fact that you disobeyed the orders we were given, the one rule I told you to follow."

"Well, sorry your highness but I don't see a crown that makes you in charge. You don't tell me what to do."

"This is serious Evan, we are only supposed to save our assignments, no one else."

"Is that all they are then, assignments? Well, maybe you should take your head out of your ass because it's not a hat, Craig! They're our friends, not just our assignments! Now get the fuck out of my room!" Evan snarled, Craig completely unfazed by his harsh tone as he left.

The door slammed shut, and the two didn't speak to each other for the rest of the night.