Chapter 54

Lol no one was ready for that, thanks for 27k reads, love you

And there's chapters everyday this week, you'll see why

---------------

"What? Evan, how could you not tell me?" Craig was outraged, staring at Evan in disbelief.

Evan stood up abruptly. "Maybe because I didn't want to think it was true? I despise angels, and here I find out that I'm half one and you expect me to shout it from the rooftops? Do you even know me?"

"Apparently not, since you've been keeping this a secret."

"Well, it means that my parents are somehow angels, which is a total fucking lie."

"Celestials don't swear."

"Kiss my ass, Slut-ton."

"Attitude." Sutton got up from his chair, joining the DeathLynches in the next room. "I'll just leave this happy family to have a conversation."

"Whatever." Evan said, going back to sitting down.

"Evan, you can't walk away from this conversation."

"Well, according to you, running away from my problems is what I do best."

"That was a long ass time ago, Evan."

"Yeah, well so was that confession, now we have an audience of confused humans who are looking at us like we belong in a mental institution."

"Oh, right. Forgot about that."

"Of course you did."

"Can someone please fill us in? Whether it's about demons or angels or whatever the fuck, tell us what's going on!" Tyler demanded.

"Okay, fine! I'll do it. Me and Craig are from Hell, yes, actual Hell, okay? Hold your questions until the end. Yes, he is a demon, and there was a time where we both were.

But, I guess that stopped when my parents died from alcohol poisoning when I was eight. I moved in with Craig and all that happened.

And, in Hell, there's this like tradition, and, um, every year, there's a ceremony, and two demons are chosen to be guardians, which are assigned to a group of humans, who they have to protect.

And this past ceremony, the last ceremony we were at, we were chosen, the first teenagers to ever be chosen, and, um, um, we were assigned to you guys.

When we got here, everything was weird, but, well, I guess you guys know the rest. And, as for me, with me being some demon-angel hybrid, remember when I was sick? Like really sick? Yeah, I found out about then.

And, the things that captured us, those are DeathLynches, except for Sutton, he's just some jerk-off demon who I hated. But, that's sort of irrelevant to what you guys were asking and I feel like I've been talking too long so I'm just gonna shut up now." Evan finished, letting out a breath and backing up. He wasn't used to talking so much at once but he was tired of beating around the bush.

Apparently, he wasn't the only one he surprised with his long winded outburst, because everyone was stuck staring at him in shock.

"By the way, my social anxiety is still a thing, so, like, can you not stare at me like that?" He said, looking at the ground as he wrapped his arms around himself nervously, missing his hoodie, which was still at home. And he wasn't convinced in the slightest that he was going to see it again. "Someone else please talk." He begged, really not wanting to be the center of attention.

"Right, so he basically explained that." Craig said, jumping to Evan's recuse since he sensed that a panic attack was about to happen. "Any questions?"

"Were we ever actually your friends? Or were we just people you had to protect all the time? Did you even care about us?" Tyler asked, taking a step back even though they were already in a separate cell.

"Of course we did! Why would you think that? We didn't have to talk to you, interact with you, all we had to do was protect you. You have to believe me, babe." Craig said, moving closer to their cell, despite his chains.

"Evan? Did you really mean everything you said to me? Every word?" Jonathan asked, noticing how he hung back.

Evan glanced up finally, looking directly at Jonathan as he nodded. "Of course, everything. I mean, I've lied a lot in my life, but, with you, I didn't lie, because I felt like I didn't have to. All of you guys, I really do care, you guys are the first real friends I've ever had, there's no reason to throw something like that away."

"So, why are we barely finding out about all this now? When we're locked up in cells and being held captive by death-fucks and some other demon?" Marcel said.

"Well, it's not exactly a conversation starter is it?" Evan's sarcasm was back in a heartbeat. "'Hi, I'm Evan and I'm half-angel, half-demon. And you are?' Seriously, use some common sense!" Evan forgot how he had developed attitude as a way of hiding other emotions, specifically fear.

"You still had plenty of other opportunities to tell us." Jonathan countered, used to Evan's attitude by now.

"Name one time." Evan leaned against the wall as he felt a sharp pain in his head, but he ignored it.

"Well, there was that time, you see, what about- alright so maybe you're right, but that's not an excuse."

"You would know a lot about excuses." Craig interjected.

"Really? Do you just bring that up every chance you get? That's not even relevant anymore."

"Oh, so now you realize we're not human and that makes everything okay? To be fair, I was going to tell you, if you had showed up, but you didn't, so I had no reason to!" The words tumbled out of Evan's mouth as the pain in his head got worse.

The door opened. "Look, everyone's getting along. Ed, get the hybrid, I want to break him first. Here." He handed 'Ed' a key and another syringe, but Evan was too busy holding his head.

The cell opened, and Evan struggled at first, but once the syringe stung his arm, he stopped, allowing himself to be led away while his friends called after him, but he was already passed out by the time they reached the door.

------------------

It was a shock, seeing the people who raised me, look like that. Still, their bodies cold and lifeless.

I don't remember calling Craig, the only friend I had made, but I remember him getting there, and just holding me. We didn't say anything, but we didn't need to, because that was enough. To know that he was there.

To know that no matter what, he wouldn't leave me alone.