Chapter 41

"Well, that was certainly ominous, what did he do to you?" Tyler asked to Craig as they reached the front lawn of the school.

"He's dating my best friend, yes he's my friend, but I still need the intimidation factor. What's it called? The protectiveness? I don't know, but you get it, right?" Craig answered.

"No offense, but I think all of us are scared of you and Evan to some degree. You guys just have this like, feeling following you around." Marcel commented, subtlety using Brock as a shield.

Craig was intrigued by his statement. "Do we? I never noticed, but is it obvious?"

Brock nodded. "Well, yeah, most of the time you have a glare on your face, and Evan's got the whole wearing all black look going on, then there's the piercings, and he also has the glare, but only if something annoys him."

"Yeah, you guys can be scary." Lui jumped in as they entered through the front doors.

"Huh, I never thought about that." Craig thought aloud as the group dispersed to their first periods.

------------

Jonathan: not going to school today, taking care of sick friend, see you later

Luke: sounds good, hope he gets better, and don't you go getting sick on me

Jonathan stared at the messages, a lump in his throat and the keys to his boyfriend's house in the his other hand.

You're not a horrible person, you've done nothing wrong....yet.

He shoved his phone in his pocket, put the key in the lock and turned, opening it with ease. He closed the door behind him and made him way up the stairs.

You're a liar. You can only refer to Evan as your friend for so long. You go to school with the guy.

"Ev? It's me, Jonathan." He knocked softly on his boyfriend's door.

"Lucifer? Is that you? Is it my time to go?" He could hear Evan say from behind the door, causing him to laugh.

"No, Ev, it's Jonathan, your boyfriend. Can I come in?"

"Oh, its you. Yeah sure, come on in, I'll just talk to Lucifer some other time I guess." Evan joked, coughing a couple of times.

"You look terrible." Jonathan commented as he sat on the bed next to Evan.

"Well, I can't be smoking hot all the time, babe, it gets tiring." Evan smiled at him, his eyes showing a bit of tiredness.

Jonathan laughed. "Well, technically you are hot right now, I think you have a fever." He placed the palm of his hand on Evan's forehead.

Evan once again began to cough, turning away so he could avoid coughing on his boyfriend. "Yeah, that would make sense. Are you sure you want to stay here with me? I'm not gonna be much fun right now." He turned back around so that he was laying on his back, his eyes shut.

"Of course I do! You're my boyfriend and I want to take care of you! Now, what do you want?"

"To sleep, to get rid of this headache, to not be sick, to not lay in this fucking bed all day. Wait, that last one contradicts the first doesn't it? Fuck it, I don't care. Just lay here with me." Evan said, patting the space next to him as he moved over.

Jonathan laid next to him, tilting his head so it rested against Evan's shoulder. "I'm sorry you feel this way."

"Don't be, it's not your fault." Evan replied, stifling a yawn.

"Yeah, I know, but I still don't want you to feel like this, I feel so helpless, not being able to do anything."

Evan sneezed a few times before leaning towards his boyfriend as much as he could without getting him sick. "Being right here next to me is enough. I feel better already." His voice was getting weaker as he began to drift off to sleep.

Jonathan was beginning to do the same, letting himself relax next to Evan before the boy next to him spoke.

"I love you."

Jonathan's eyes shot open, he didn't dare move since he could hear Evan softly snoring next to him, but he was freaked out.

What am I doing? I'm a horrible person, I'm such a horrible person, I'm a liar.

I'm...I'm breaking someone's heart.