Chapter 29

Sorry for the late chapter! I was traveling again yesterday since I missed my connecting flight on Thursday, but I am back home now! Also, two more things, one; Thank you so much for over 5K reads! I can't believe so many people have read this book, considering there was a point where I considered not even publishing it. Also, I have decided to enter this story into this years Wattys! I'm sure I won't win anything, but it's always nice to try since I haven't participated since 2015. Anyway, back to the story!

-----------

Jonathan draped a blanket over Evan's sleeping figure, who was curled up on his bed in a way that he took up as little space as possible. He smiled to himself as he saw how peaceful his friend looked now.

Evan had fallen asleep a few minutes ago, after the two had watched a movie to cheer Evan up after his breakdown.

Jonathan himself set up a sleeping bag next to his bed, he didn't want Evan to feel uncomfortable and he also didn't want to sleep in a whole other room, so he stuck to the floor.

Setting his alarm for the next day, Jonathan settled into his sleeping bag and was about to go to sleep when heard a faint buzz coming from somewhere in the room.

He sat up and looked around, trying to find the source of the noise. Climbing out of the sleeping bag, he crept across the room as the sound continued.

He had been searching for a few minutes when it dawned on him, it was Evan's phone. And still, he looked for the device.

The phone had been underneath his friend's familiar black hoodie, which was on top of Evan's backpack, still folded neatly.

Picking it up, Jonathan saw that it had been Craig calling, and that Evan had about a hundred unread messages and missed calls. He read a few of them that appeared.

Craig: Ev, Sebastian is pissed at me, please just tell me you're fine.

Craig: I'm really worried, Evan, please come home I'm sorry about what I said, that was a dick move

Craig: Text you in the morning, Ev, good night, please be safe. I know you're reckless when you're angry

Jonathan placed the phone back where it was, crawled back into his sleeping bag, and let himself think about the situation he found himself in the middle of. There was some kind of family feud going on with Evan and Craig, and somehow he inserted himself into it.

Eventually, his thoughts calmed down and he was able to fall asleep at last.

------------

Evan woke up in the middle of the night, his arm tingling with pain. Blinking his eyes open, he saw that Jonathan's room was still blanketed in moonlight, although judging by the time he knew the sun was going to be up in a matter of hours.

He sat up, trying to focus his vision as he pulled the blanket off him. Noticing Jonathan sleeping on the floor next to the bed, he made sure to step around him as made his way towards the door.

Glancing down both ways of the hallway, Evan walked to the bathroom, turning on the light and closing the door behind him.

First, he checked out his wings, lifting up his shirt to see that his once solid black wings were now mostly transparent since he had spent so much time on Earth. Unlike angels, a demon's wings needed to adjust to environments first before deciding whether or not they can be visible. So they fade when a demon is on Earth for an extended period of time, although they're still there, you just can't feel or see them.

Taking a good look at them, Evan knew that it would only be a week or two until his wings completely faded from view.

Secondly, he undid the bandages on his arm since his wound was still tingling. Leaving the bloodied bandage on the counter, he held his forearm up closer to the light and angled it so he could take a look.

He gently pressed his fingers against the surrounding skin, wincing every time he hit a sore spot. Blood still oozed out, but the flow was not as heavy as it had been earlier.

Just then, Evan thought he had heard something move outside, so he turned to his left quickly and listened, his breath even and quiet.

He attempted to take a step forward, but was suddenly aware of the floor rushing towards his face as more pain ripped through his already injured forearm.

Letting out a scream of pain as he hit the floor, he clutched his forearm to his chest, his hand wrapped around the wound as he tried to stop himself from crying out once more. His breath grew heavy and rapid, and he felt like the oxygen he was sucking in couldn't fit into his lungs as he lay there in pain on the floor.

Evan then heard the door open, missing his head by an inch as a hand was cautiously placed on his shoulder.

"Calm down, sweetie, it's gonna be okay. Move your hand, dear, let me see." Jonathan's mother said in a caring tone, Evan obliged and carefully removed his bloodstained hand to reveal the wound, which had opened more after his forearm had hit the edge of the counter.

Jonathan's mother looked around the bathroom for a few seconds before grabbing a towel and wrapping it around his arm. "Deep breaths, sweetie, come on. I'll take you to the hospital, you're gonna need stitches." She said to Evan as she helped him up before calling out to her husband. "Honey! Wake up Jonathan, we're taking his friend to the hospital!"

Evan could hear movement coming from behind as Mrs. Dennis led him down the stairs and towards the front door, not stopping until he was buckled into the backseat of the car.

------

Jonathan was shaken awake by his dad. "Come on, son. We have to take Evan to the hospital, he needs stitches."

Although he was still half asleep, Jonathan could understand his dad easily enough to hop out of his sleeping bag, quickly grab a pair of shoes as well as picking up Evan's hoodie and phone before following his dad out of the house.

He ended up in the passenger seat, his dad in the driver while his mom stayed in the back, hugging Evan and reassuring him that everything was going to be alright while he just numbly stared at the back of Jonathan's seat, a few tears welled up in his eyes.

Jonathan passed Evan's hoodie to his mom as well as his phone while they made their way to the hospital. In the rear view mirror he could see his mom drape the jacket over his shoulders and tuck the phone into her purse to give to his friend later.

The time was 2:03 AM, and Jonathan knew he would not be attending school tomorrow.