Chapter 19

Btw if any of you noticed Craig did indeed change last names in his transition from demon life to human life. 'Ladd' supposedly stood out too much from humans in case you all were wondering.

P.S: That was totally me covering up for a plot hole XD

------------------------

"Freedom! Sweet freedom! Oh, how I've missed you dirty sidewalk in front of our ugly ass house!" Evan said dramatically as he got out of the limo, looking back at his butler to catch him grinning at the boy.

"I'm sure the sidewalk missed you as well, even though you've only been gone for a day." Craig said, getting out behind him, closing the door behind him. They had dropped off their friends earlier and had just gotten home.

"I'd hope so! After all, I most likely am one of the first demons to ever walk on it, this sidewalk should worship me!" Evan declared, although careful to not shout it too loudly so he didn't blow their cover.

Craig laughed, leaving Sebastian to get his backpack out of the car as he followed Evan inside.

The sun was already down as the two entered the house, their butler a few feet behind them.

"Ugh, why do I fell so tired? I've literally been in bed all day, is this what means to be human?" Evan asked, yawning as he trudged up the stairs, his previously energetic mood fleeing.

"Don't ask me, I don't know shit about being a human. Just go get some rest, I'm pretty sure you don't have to go to school tomorrow." Craig replied, following behind his brother.

"Hell yeah! Stay at home day!" Evan cheered, his spirits being lifted before he walked into his room, his feet dragging behind him with fatigue. "Don't be too loud, I will punch you if you wake me up. That's a promise." He said through his closed door.

-------------------------

Evan heard the front door close as Craig left for school, leaving Evan alone in the house-Sebastian had to go back to Hell for a few days- and he decided to catch up on human culture.

First thing on the list, Netflix. Which he currently brought up on his laptop, not worrying about having to pay for a subscription since Hell was paying for all their expenses.

"Hey, Jill, I was just wondering...." One of the characters began to say, pausing while the other character looked at them. His nervous eyes tried to find something to focus on other than her face as he continued. "W-will you go out with me?"

His question was met with a kiss from the girl- 'Jill'- who had to stand up on her tippy toes to reach his mouth. Suddenly his arms were wrapped around her, one holding her waist and the other tangled in her hair, meanwhile hers were holding his face against hers. The way the camera work was done made the scene seem dramatic and romantic at the same time, it was something that a girl would cry at and call cute while furiously grabbing at a tissue box.

But Evan, being a demon, did not understand what was going on. All the boy had done was ask a simple question, yet the scene was so dramatic and intense and was meant to jerk a few tears out of the watcher, but why? Because the two were in love and this was the beginning of the rest of their lives?

To Evan, it didn't make any sense that humans valued dating so much. The need for constant companionship in delicate situations was ludicrous. Sure, it would be nice to to have someone to vent to when you're life goes sideways, but it was better to be independent, at least to Evan, who was used to being independent.

The show was trying to explain a simple love story between two characters who 'needed each other' to keep their lives afloat. Several times the main character had snapped because he was handling his problems by himself, which is apparently a big no-no in human terms, since there was a whole thing about bottling up emotions and how it was bad and blah blah blah.

Either way, Evan paused the show and shut his laptop, refusing to watch anymore of the nonsense. Yeah, it was great when people found love, but it wasn't great when two people were so dependent on each other when things went south. It just didn't seem natural.

Evan got out of his bed, transitioning to his desk as he pulled out a sketchbook and started drawing, grabbing his box of colored pencils from one of his drawers as well. He didn't know why he suddenly craved color, he hardly ever used it in his sketchbooks, hence why he only ever used a small box, but there was something about that moment that made him crave a single color. Only one, and he didn't know which one until after half an hour had passed and his sketch was complete.

He didn't even remember grabbing the color until suddenly he was staring at a pair of ocean blue eyes on his page.

Despite what he thought about love, the eyes made him smile, because he was in love with them.

And it scared him.