Chapter 27

I'll be traveling all day tomorrow and might not have a chance to update so I'm updating today! Enjoy!

----------------

For one of the very few times since he had arrived on Earth, Craig felt nervous as he walked down the cracked sidewalk on the way to school. He ran through excuse after excuse, trying to cover up why Evan wasn't with him. He could just pretend not to care, but something told him that wouldn't work.

His heart raced with every step he took as he approached his friends. He was sure Tyler would call him out on his bullshit, and if not him, then Jonathan would. Jonathan loved to hang out with Evan, it was no secret that Jonathan preferred Evan over Craig.

Breathe, Craig, breathe. You're fine, just say he's sick, everything will be fine. You're a demon, demons don't get nervous, they are cocky and arrogant, full of themselves and disregard almost everyone else. He coached himself, slowing his breathing as he approached the group, slapping on a bored, unamused and generally pissed off look.

"Hey." He said coolly, testing out his voice for the first time that morning, hoping it didn't sound worried.

Tyler greeted him with a wave, and he thought he was in the clear until Brian spoke up, looking behind him.

"Where's Evan?" His tone was concerned, but Craig felt like he was trying to accuse him of something. He got defensive.

"Oh, he didn't feel well this morning, so he stayed home." Craig could feel his nerves slowly inching their way up his throat, trying to creep into his voice, but he refused to let it. Swallowing, he backed up his alibi with a confident look.

Jonathan looked apprehensive, but Craig knew he couldn't do anything about that, he had no power over who Evan spoke to after their argument, so he just hoped that he didn't speak up.

Luckily, he didn't, and Craig felt a sense of relief wash over him as there were no more questions of his brother's whereabouts and they continued on their way to school.

--------------------

Craig was lying, that was obvious to Jonathan since he knew for a fact that he had left Evan sleeping back at his house. So, he knew that Craig was trying to cover up he didn't know where Evan was and was just trying to get them to believe their bullshit.

What could those two be hiding from their friends that they felt the need to lie?

But deep down, Jonathan knew it wasn't his place to wonder that, some people just don't want their personal business advertised. And Evan definitely seemed like that kind of private person, but Jonathan really wanted the other boy to trust him, and he just felt like he was halfway there, after all, Evan had called him rather than anyone else that night, when he was sure that he wanted no one to seem him like that, something other than confident and cocky.

He decided to keep an eye on Craig for the rest of the day, and try to subtly bring up Evan or Evan-related topics throughout the day and see how he reacts. Because he wanted to know more about the relationship between them, and what was a better time than right in the middle of a huge argument.

---------------------

Evan blinked himself awake, alarmed when he didn't immediately recognize the environment of his bedroom. He shot straight up and looked around rapidly before remembering he was in Jonathan's room, wearing Jonathan's clothes.

He saw his own clothes folded neatly next to his backpack, on the floor where he had placed it last night, with a small post-it note on top that was no doubt from his friend's mother.

Grabbing his phone off the nightstand, he ran a hand through his hair as he checked the time. 9:55 AM. Only a few hours later than usual.

There was also a note next to his phone, written by Jonathan since Evan recognized the handwriting.

Hey, I had to go to school, told my mom not to bug you and let you sleep in. Make yourself at home, and mom can make you food if you're hungry.

-Jonathan

Something about the note brought a smile to Evan's face, probably because Jonathan was being so thoughtful and nice to him, it was weird. Craig would never do anything like this, Chilled maybe, but not Craig.

It was then that he felt a faint sting in his right arm, and he pulled down his sleeve to reveal the bloody bandages that Craig had put on him yesterday afternoon, they needed to be redone.

After a few minutes of internal debate, Evan decided that he would go downstairs, possibly get some food and get his bandages redone.

Pushing himself off the bed, wincing at the sharp pain in his arm, he left his phone on the bed and went over to the door, his hand waiting on the knob as he tried motivate himself to turn it.

Eventually, he did, and closed the door behind him out of habit from his own house. He found the stairs and went down them, now smelling food-the scent was what he believed to be bacon and eggs, traditional human food- and hearing a voice humming. He knew the voice was Jonathan's mother, he could recognize it from the night before.

He walked into the room, and was thankful that it was only her, luckily Jonathan didn't have any siblings and his father had already gone to work.

"Oh, good morning, Evan! I didn't wake you, did I? I promised Jonathan I'd let you sleep in." She said, looking at Evan over her shoulder as she continued to cook. "Well, sit down then, I don't bite." She insisted playfully, causing Evan to give her a light smile and sit down.

After a few minutes he remembered his arm. "Um, Mrs. Dennis, do you by any chance have some bandage, like the roll type?" He asked, his voice sounding small because he felt so unfamiliar.

"I believe so, why do you ask?" Her voice sounded so sweet and innocent, just like Evan would imagine a mother's voice to sound like.

He pulled up his sleeve once more, hoping she could see it. "I, uh, cut myself on some glass yesterday, my brother put this bandage on but I need to re-dress it." He replied, holding up his arm.

She looked at him in alarm, and rushed into another room, returning seconds later with some bandage. "Why didn't you say anything earlier? How did you cut yourself?" Her voice was concerned as she carefully unwrapped his arm, Evan forcing himself to not pull his arm away from her grip.

"It doesn't hurt that much anymore, and I just broke a mirror yesterday and the shards cut me." He said, his eyes transfixed on his healing wounds that were covered in dried blood, some parts were still bleeding as well.

He noted the way she wrapped the bandages around his arm carefully, yet firmly and sure of herself. When she was done she tucked the end underneath one of the previous layers as well as putting a piece of medical tape over top it.

"Thank you." He said when she finished and had returned to her cooking.

She looked at him with a comforting grin. "Don't mention it, sweetie. Are you hungry?"

Smiling back, Evan politely nodded as he noticed how hungry he was, he hadn't eaten anything at all the day before.

And as soon as Jonathan's mom placed his plate in front of him, Evan knew that he was not going to go hungry today.