Chapter 30

Craig woke up with a sinking feeling in his stomach, like something was really wrong, he just didn't know what.

He grabbed his phone eagerly off his nightstand, turning it on and immediately going to his messages. Unfortunately, there were no new ones so he knew Evan was still mad at him.

Climbing out of bed to get ready for school, he ran over a mental list of anything that could be wrong, thinking of different scenarios his friends could have found themselves in.

But something deep down kept pushing him to think about Evan, creating mixed feelings of confusion and guilt that ran through him rapidly.

Before he knew it he was heading down the sidewalk to school in a nervous daze once more, except this time it was worse. How would he explain that Evan was gone a second day? He could just say he was sick again but that excuse was old, he just needed something fresh to use or else it wasn't worth it.

Luckily, by the time he saw the guys waiting at their usual spot, he had created an excuse.

Only to realize with further examination that Evan was not the only one missing today.

Because it appeared Jonathan was no where to be found.

-----------

"Are you okay? Did it hurt?" Jonathan asked Evan as the doctor left the room.

Evan inspected the line of stitches that were sewn on his forearm, little black x's leading down to his elbow like a treasure map. It was an odd thing to look at.

He shrugged, feeling an odd sense of numbness as he looked back up at the boy in front of him. "Not really, he did put that numbing agent before he started."

"Yeah, that's true, but didn't the needle scare you? It was pretty big." Jonathan said, sitting next to his friend on the small hospital bed.

Evan looked back at the floor once more, tired and hungry as he thought about what Craig would say if he found out. "Needles don't scare me, I watched that nurse take my blood, remember?" He began to play with his lip ring once again, the movement of the metal embedded in his flesh bringing a sense of comfort.

"Oh yeah! That was gross, to be honest, I mean, I can't even look at the blood bag once it's over!" Jonathan was trying to be cheerful, hoping to lift Evan's mood since he looked quite upset. "Seriously though, are you okay?"

Evan looked back up at him, shrugging once more. "I guess, I'm just tired. And hungry."

"Well, once the Doctor comes back with your brace, we'll get you some food, darling." Jonathan's mother cut in, walking into the room and placing herself in a chair beside the bed, Mr. Dennis following a few seconds later.

Evan nodded, turning his gaze back to his wound, inspecting the stitches like they were an alien life form. He had never seen them before, he wasn't even sure you could get them in Hell-maybe you could- so he found them very interesting.

He let out a yawn as the doctor walked back in, holding a brace in his left hand and a clipboard in the other.

Handing the clipboard to Jonathan's parents, the doctor instructed them to fill them out. "They're his release forms." He explained as he turned to the injured boy.

"Hey buddy, I know you're tired. But I promise you can leave once they fill out those forms and I put this brace on you, okay?" His voice was gentle, and Evan nodded as he lifted his arm and carefully slipped the brace on.

Securing it so it would be tight, but still comfortable, the doctor finished and said a nurse would come to retrieve the forms before smiling at Evan and leaving.

"You look pretty badass." Jonathan said, continuing to attempt to cheer Evan up since he still looked sad. "Like you got into a street fight or something."

For once, Evan ignored Jonathan and instead turned to his friend's parents. "Thank you for bringing me here, I'm sorry if I caused any inconvenience for you." He used the politest voice he could muster in his current state of tired and numb.

They shook their heads. "It's no trouble at all, Evan. You're Jonathan's friend, so you're practically family." His mother's smile was so sweet and genuine as she spoke to him, for a second it felt like Evan was five again, and his mother had just given him his first molded cookie-demons have weird food.

Evan yawned a few more times before the nurse came in and retrieved the forms, informing them that they were free to go.

Jonathan walked next to Evan as his parents led the way to the car, discussing where they should go to eat. As they drew nearer, Jonathan could tell that Evan was shaking, but he couldn't tell whether he was cold or he was shaking for some other reason.

He wrapped an arm around his shoulder, beginning to talk about random topics to comfort his friend as they drove to the nearest fast food place to get some food.

--------------

It was fast, everything was fast, except him. He was in slow motion, watching everything speed past him.

His phone was pressed against his thigh as he sat in the backseat of the car. The impending thought of speaking with his brother pressed on his mind as his friend's parents paid for the fast food.

He couldn't feel, he didn't know how to, or what exactly he should feel. But he knew he just couldn't, too much was running through his head.

Evan could feel himself shaking from something, it might have been the cold, or the hunger, or just overall nervousness, he didn't know.

"Here sweetie." Mrs. Dennis handed him his food with a smile, which he returned with a quiet thank you and a smile of his own.

He began eating while Jonathan's parents started to drive home, he had started to eat slowly, but the more he ate, the more he realized just how hungry he was.

--------

"Jonathan, dear, I know you're worried about Evan but I really think you should go to school even if it's the last two periods." His mother tried to reason with him as his fingertips tapped the dining room rapidly.

"Mom, I can't. How would I explain why I wasn't there? Evan doesn't want anyone to know he's here, I can't do that to him, I don't want him to be mad at me!" Jonathan countered.

"I know, honey, but just tell them you were at a surprise doctors appointment or something. They already have to deal with the Craig and Evan situation, and it won't be good if you make yourself look like you're involved somehow."m

He sighed, nodding. "Alright, fine. I'll go."

A few minutes later his dad was driving him to school where he would restlessly sit in class for two periods.