Chapter 15

New book today, has a more serious theme then this one, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it as well. It's called His Lies, His Truths, Their War and I'm very proud of it. It updates whenever.

Also, today's my birthday.
-------------------------

Nervous, on edge, the feeling of paranoia was rushing through Evan's body, it scared him. Demons don't get nervous, but then again, demons also don't get scared, so it was a very contradicting predicament.

Oddly enough, on the outside he was calm, collected, smiling even as he watched his friends play around in the park like a group of small children. He didn't want to join in, it wasn't his thing, so they had let him watch them from the sides, laughing at how silly they were. He was the only one sitting down, even Craig had chose to play around.

But Evan was nervous, discretely darting his eyes back and forth and he messed with his lip ring, looking everywhere around the playground for danger, there seemed to be none.

Evan wasn't convinced, it had been about a week since the sleepover and there had been no trouble whatsoever, not so much as one of his friends worrying over a test. Everything was fine.

So why wasn't he?

It must be because he's a guardian, he had told himself, he was worried about anything that could harm his assign-no, friends. It was natural, he had convinced himself, perfectly natural.

Except for the fact that he just couldn't relax for the life of him, his shoulder muscles had tensed, and his hands were gripping the wooden picnic table beneath him so hard he could almost split the wood in half. It was bad, but he still smiled, although if someone looked hard enough they could tell it was pained.

Craig didn't notice, he thought he would notice, he wanted him to notice, but Evan could tell his brother was too busy keeping his eyes transfixed on every movement Tyler made. And although Evan was happy for Craig and couldn't wait to tease him about his crush on Tyler later, he silently cursed him for being so caught up in his stupid blue eyes.

At some point, Evan's smile had faltered, of course unknown to him as he was too caught up in his thoughts to notice. In fact, he only noticed because Jonathan had called his name.

"Evan!" He had shouted loud enough to catch his attention, but not too loud to draw everyone over to them.

Evan snapped out of his trance, jumping when he saw how close Jonathan was to him, alarm crossing his face when he didn't immediately recognize him.

"I'm paying attention!" He had shouted quickly, calming when he realized it was just Jonathan. "Oh, it's just you, sorry, I was just thinking." He apologized, scooting over so his friend could sit down.

Gladly sitting next to Evan, Jonathan turned to him with a look of concern. "Are you ok? I noticed you didn't look as happy anymore." Speaking gently as though Evan was far more upset than he was, he sounded genuinely concerned.

Lie, was all Evan could think in that moment of panic, lie straight through your teeth because that's what you do. He willed himself, but somehow couldn't bring himself to follow through.

He sighed, carefully planning out his words as he tried to naturally buy himself some time. "I-I just-I don't know-don't feel right.....wait that sounds stupid. No, I'm fine, I mean I'm not fine but I still am fine, does that make sense? Shit, I'm rambling, aren't I? Sorry, I do that when I'm nervous....nervous! Yeah, that was it, I feel nervous about something, but I don't know what it is!" Evan blurted out, avoiding making eye contact with Jonathan the entire time.

Jonathan laughed at Evan's flustered words, titling his head in amusement. "You don't come to the park very often, do you?" He asked jokingly, wrapping an arm around him for comfort.

Evan shook his head guiltily. "No, never. I usually just stay in my room all the time. It's pathetic, really." He said the last part with a sudden bitterness in his tone as he thought of home.

The other boy tried to lighten the mood, which had obviously descended by Evan's comment. "I don't blame you, if I lived with Craig I'd avoid him too." He joked, nudging Evan playfully.

"Yeah, he is a big pain in the ass sometimes." He agreed, grinning at Jonathan as his nerves melted away.

The boys continued to joke around and talk as the others kept dashing about the park, occasionally shouting obscenities at each other as they went.

Evan stared at Jonathan as he spoke, not even missing a single word he spoke. If it was anybody else, Evan would have nodded mindlessly as he let his thoughts drift away, but right now he hung on to every word the boy in front of him spoke, staring at him with interest.

And for a moment, just a single heartbeat, their eyes met, and Evan couldn't remember a happier feeling than what he had felt right then.

Because he could just get lost in those gorgeous blue eyes of his.

------------------------------

Paper had been thrown all over his room, covering the floor and even his bed. His essay due a few weeks later was left open in a word document on his laptop, half written. His sketchbook had been left open on his desk lazily, the pencil resting at an angle on the page.

Evan himself was sitting in the middle of his room, his math book sat next to him, open to page 357. His eyes scanned the page as he chewed on the eraser end of his pencil thoughtfully.

This was where he had been since he had woken up at 5 AM. It had only been three hours but he had mostly finished everything, save for a few stray math problems and of course his half written essay.

He had just finished writing down the answer to the last problem when the door opened, he looked up to see a tired looking Craig, who had no doubt just woken up.

"Hey." His friend said tiredly, rubbing his eyes as a small yawn escaped his lips.

"Sup, Craig. How'd you sleep?" Evan asked he stood up, beginning to pick up the papers scattered across his room, stuffing a few in his bag while the others stayed in a pile. Craig was most likely going to ask about breakfast, since he couldn't function properly on weekends until he had it. Evan, on the other hand, could care less about whether or not he ate breakfast, his energy level was usually the same no matter what.

"Fine, but I'm hungry." He whined. Nailed it, Evan thought to himself as he dumped a pile of papers on top of his bed.

"Get Seb to make you something." Grabbing the zipper, he tugged it upward and around until his backpack was closed.

"He left for back home last night, remember? Oh wait, you fell asleep I forgot." Leaning on the doorway, Craig closed his eyes as if he could fall asleep right there.

Evan rolled his eyes, biting back a snappy reply since it was too early in the morning. Instead, he threw his bag next to his bed and walked towards his door, pushing his brother out of the way as he said. "Come on, I'll make you something."