Surprise

Christina's hand was shaking as she stared at the stick that said "pregnant" in the small window.  Her breathing was quick and shallow.  What the actual fuck.  

Pregnant.

This was so not happening.

When she first came to the city, Christina had many plans for her career and her life.  Somehow a baby didn't quite fit in any of them.  Oh holy crap.

Christina took several deep breaths.  Calm down, girl, she told herself.  This could be a mistake. She did buy a cheap pregnancy test.  It could be a false positive.  Lots of women have taken the home pregnancy tests and got a false result.  Maybe that was it.

Yeah, right.  And maybe all those mornings that she threw up was just a coincidence.  Along with the fact that she was more than two weeks late.

Dammit.  

Christina left the bathroom.  She bought another home pregnancy test and decided to take that at home.  If that also said she was pregnant, then she'll know for sure if there's a little Robbie in there.

Meanwhile Robbie was tossing out the last of his cigarettes.  He hoped he won't have to need them anytime soon.  Being in a relationship with his lady was enough for him.  "No more smoking." he said to Sandy as they went into the living room to watch TV.  Just when he popped open his beer, his phone buzzed.  He grabbed it from his back pocket.  "Yeah?"

It was his agent.  "Good news.  I got you a part in a movie."

Robbie sat up.  "You're shitting me." That was like music to his ears.  

"It's not quite the lead but it's a big role," the agent went on.  "And it's out of town."

"Out of town?" Robbie was surprised.  "For like how long?"  Already he could feel his heart sinking.  What about Christina?

"A few weeks.  Trust me, you're gonna want this."

"I didn't think I had to do that." Robbie said.  "The constant travelling back and forth.  Packing is a real bitch.  Plus I'm out of frequent flyer miles. That's why I moved here to Toronto."

"You're welcome." the agent said.  "Do you know how many actors that would cut off their left nut for this opportunity?"

"I know, I know," Robbie sighed.  "I've been waiting for it."

"Don't you want this?" The agent was exasperated.  "Hello?"

"Yes, of course, but I think I'll hang onto my left nut.  When do I leave?"

"Day after tomorrow."

Robbie spat out his beer.  "Jeez, seriously? That soon? Damn!"

"Don't you want this? What's the problem?"

Robbie collected his thoughts.  He had just started a serious relationship and wanted to devote his time to it.  But he also had his career to think about.  He would sound like a total wuss if he told his agent this.  His agent wouldn't understand.

"Robbie?" his agent said.  "What's it gonna be? I worked my ass off getting you this role.  Are you gonna let me down?"

Robbie sighed.  "No, it's all good.  I'll be there, thanks."

"That's what I'm talking about."

Shit, Robbie thought as he hung up.  Although he'd kill for this part, the timing of this truly sucked.  What was he going to tell Christina?

Right on cue Christina unlocked the door and came into the apartment carrying a plastic shopping back.  As soon as she saw him she hid the bag behind her back.