The New Fam

Christina was about to be released from the hospital. After close examinations she and Emmett received a clean bill of health. She was relieved that her baby was off to a good start.  His being born in the car didn't do any damage whatsoever. 

They had sent out the announcement of Emmett's birth.

"He's so cute!" Christina's friends gushed when they visited her in the hospital to see the baby

"He's so cute!" Christina's friends gushed when they visited her in the hospital to see the baby. "He's an angel!"

"Isn't he?" Christina held her little boy proudly. "He's a greedy one, he won't stop eating. I swear he is getting to be more like his daddy by the minute." She gave the baby another kiss.  She couldn't get enough of holding and kissing little Emmett.  He was her heart.

"That's a good thing," Robbie said as he stood nearby. "Like father like son." He held out his phone. "I just posted his pic and already he's got two hundred likes. That's my boy!"

Christina let Robbie hold Emmett. She was feeling much better since his birth. The doctor said that she could go home tomorrow. She checked herself in the mirror. While Emmett was sleeping she had a little time to fix her hair and makeup so she could look nice for her friends. Of course she had to rush it before he woke up needing her. She'd better get used to that now that she was a mother. No more leisure time. Her baby came first.

Her friends held the baby and admired him. When they left Robbie felt Emmett's bottom. "I think he needs a change." he told her.

"Yeah?" Christina gave him a look. "I think his daddy needs to change him, don't you?"

Robbie went to get a diaper and changed Emmett in his bassinet. "Look at you," he said to Emmett as he wiped him. "You're a big fella, ain't you? You won't have any problems with women."

"Really?" Christina said. "Don't talk to the baby like that, nasty. If I had something to throw at you I would."

"I'm just keeping it real." Robbie redressed the baby and picked him up. "He's going to be a ladykiller, aren't you, my boy?"

"He's going to be my little boy, not some nasty a--, nasty player." Christina had decided that she wasn't going to curse around her baby. She didn't want to be one of those mamas who were always cussing, then wondered where their kids were getting the bad words from.

"My mother wanted the same thing from me," Robbie said as he bounced Emmett on his shoulder. "And look how I turned out."

Christina rolled her eyes. She was going to pray hard for her Kay men.

The next day Christina and Emmett were released. Christina dressed and wrapped him in warm clothes, covered his little head with a knit hat. While she held Emmett, Christina let Robbie wheel her downstairs and out to the car.

They went home, the new family. Robbie and Christina looked at each other nervously.

"I gotta tell you," Robbie chuckled. "I'm about to have a major freak out."

"You?" Christina said. "My stomach is doing gymnastics right now. How are we going to do this?"

Robbie took the baby and held him up. "Look, Emmett, this is your apartment. Here's the living room. The kitchen's over there. There's a balcony, it's childproofed so don't get any ideas." He pointed to their bedroom. "That room belongs to me and Mommy. You weren't made in there, but your future siblings will be."

"Robbie!"

"What? It's true, unless we forget the condoms again." He led them into the nursery. "And this is your room. Your Mommy worked hard making this room nice for you."

Christina took the baby and sat in the big rocker. She looked down at her baby. "Welcome to our family, Emmett."

Later that night when they were sound asleep, a loud scream woke them up.

"What the hell was that?" Robbie groaned.

Christina sat up. "It's your baby."

"Why's your baby screaming like that?" Robbie fell back on his pillows. "Jesus! He's almost as loud as his mama."

"Shut up." Christina dragged herself out of the bed and trudged to the nursery. Emmett lay in his crib kicking and screaming, his tiny face red. She changed his diaper and took him back into the bedroom to nurse him.

"I can't believe it," Robbie watched as his baby nursed at Christina's breast.

"What?"

"I'm actually jealous of my kid."

"Why, because he's more handsome?"

"Oh haha."

Sandy hopped on to the bed to snuggle with them. After Emmett had enough he went right to sleep between his parents.

It wasn't easy adapting to the wonderful world of parenting. Emmett wasn't much of a cryer but when he did he screamed bloody murder, kicking and yelling. Especially at night when his parents were trying to sleep.  It wasn't pleasant being awaken from a deep peaceful sleep to a screeching wail.

"It's your turn." Christina mumbled into her pillow one night.  She had been taking care of the baby all day.  As much as she loved her little angel, she was exhausted.

"Nooo," Robbie groaned into his.  The baby wiped him out as well. "It's yours."

Sleepily they did rock paper scissors. As always Robbie lost.

"Ha, paper still beats rock," Christina's hand dropped. "G'night."

Reminding himself to stop picking rock all the damn time, Robbie trudged into the nursery to check on his son. He opened Emmett's diaper and was met with a huge steaming pile of yuck. "Oh God, son, really? Geez that's disgusting.  How come you don't crap this much when Mommy has to change you?"

Emmett giggled and squirmed, kicking his plump little legs.

"Oh sure, go ahead and laugh," Robbie said.  "Someday you're going to have a kid of your own and you'll have to do this.  And it will be my turn to laugh."

Emmett smiled up at his daddy, who relented and cleaned him up.  "You definitely have that charm."  He put on a fresh diaper.  "Hang onto it, it's going to serve you well."

Robbie picked up the baby and walked around holding him.  "Did you know, I met your mom right in this building.  It turned out we had rented the same apartment.  The landlord told us to share the place until another one was available."

Emmett cooed. 

"That turned out to be the best decision of both our lives." Robbie said.  "If not for that I don't think we would have met.  You certainly wouldn't be here, that's for sure." He gave his baby a kiss on his tiny head.

Christina woke up later and realized that Robbie's side of the bed was empty.  She got up and went to the nursery to check on the baby.  What she saw in there made her heart swell.

Robbie was leaned back in the chair sleeping.  Emmett was sleeping in his arms, his head on Robbie's shoulder.

Christina looked at her men for a moment.  Then she tiptoed away to get her phone.  She took a couple of pictures of the Kay boys.  She couldn't be any prouder.