Going in circles

Never will I ever be good enough for Joshua Matthews and I think it's time to turn a new leaf. So from now on I'm going to act like I never even met him.

"He doesn't exist in Maya world."Maya keeps thinking over and over. She takes a deep breath and opens the door to Riley's apartment in hopes of not seeing josh.

"Why hello my gorgeous best friend."Maya smiles.

"Are you okay?" Riley looks at her confused.

"Mark down your calendar and remember this day riles." She crosses her arms.

"Did you hit your head?" Riley chuckles.

"No. I just know now that your uncle josh doesn't deserve my attention so why should I give it to him?"

"Good for you. I'm happy that your putting yourself first." Riley pats her shoulder.

The sound of Josh's laugh is heard as he exits his room with Mariah.

She adjusts her shirt and giggles.

"So...ill see you tonight?"He smirks.

"Definitely." She walks out not even caring to say hi to the two girls just standing there.

Josh smiles to himself and looks over. "Hey Maya...I'm sorry about-

"Hey riles lets go to my moms diner. I'm starving." Maya cuts him off pretending that he doesn't exist.

"Okay."Riley grabs her sweater. "Bye uncle josh." 

He looks confused and feels a sudden pain in his chest.  "Am I really mad that she just ignored me?"He thinks to himself.

As they walk across the street Riley laughs. "I can't believe you just did that."

"I have a right to riles."She mumbles.

They get inside the diner and sit down.

"I just don't understand how he can act so clueless. Me and her are exactly the same."Maya frowns and looks through the menu.

"Well it shows that he likes everything about you. It's the age difference that's a problem."

"If it's such a problem then why is his girlfriend three years older than him?Yesterday was my last straw. No more acknowledging him, feeling bad about myself or flirting." She sets the menu down.

"Wait what?!" Riley looks at her shocked.

"Well I did some digging on the college website. I looked her up and she's exactly three years older."

"Uncle josh is a hypocrite." Riley sighs, "Buy me some ice cream please."

"Will do."Maya stands and goes up to her mom.

"Hey mom can I get a burger. Oh and Riley wants an ice cream. Preferably chocolate."

"Sure honey." She smiles and goes to the back.

Maya whistles to herself. Suddenly she feels a hand on her shoulder. She turns around and sees that it's josh.

She rolls her eyes and turns away.

"Cmon Maya. What did I do?" He runs his hand over his hair.

She scoffs. "Why are you even here?" She mumbles.

"To see what's wrong. Why are you ignoring me, Maya?"

"Oh so now you care?" She snaps.

"What are you talking about?" He asks dumb founded.

"You act like you don't but you enjoy the fact that attention is brought to you but suddenly when the attention isn't there you want to act like you care."

"I'm really confused." He looks down.

"I'm gonna make this very simple then. I liked you a lot, I wanted to show you that age doesn't matter. You chose to not care when it came to me. You found a girlfriend who is exactly three years older than you and suddenly it's not a problem." She takes a deep breath.

"Josh I can't like you anymore and I'm pretty sure you're happy now that I can admit that. So I'm not wasting my time observing the things I once did about you. I hope you and Mariah have a wonderful time together." Maya snaps.

"You're right. I don't deserve the attention you give to me but now is different. I have a girlfriend who I think I happen to be in love with."

Maya freezes and the tears building up in her eyes.

Her mom appears with the food and smiles. "Hey josh." She cuts them off.

"Hey Katy, I wanted to know if I could have a table set up for tonight?"

"Why of course josh. What time?"

"About 10 o'clock."

"Alright sounds good." She smiles and walks away to a customer.

He looks back at Maya.  "You can choose to ignore me. But I'm not going to stop my world if you do."

She locks eyes with him. "Have fun." She walks away and sits back down, handing Riley her ice cream cone.

"That was intense." Riley speaks up.

"Yeah well, at least I know he never cared." She shrugs.

"Are you sure you want to end on a bad note with him?"

"He's making me feel not good enough lately. He just broke my heart. I can finally say that he has." She whispers and wipes a tear.

"Everything will turn around for you Maya. It takes a lot of the worse possible things to happen in order for you to receive the best."