Dinner 101

"So why are we going over to Riley's again?"Aaron chuckles as he pecks Maya's lips.

"A forced dinner."Maya mumbles throughout the pecks.

"Forced?"He raises a brow.

"Yeah Riley invited us and Josh is bringing Mariah. Must be something important."She shrugs.

"Are you going to be okay?"

"Yeah? Why wouldn't I?" She crosses her arms.

"Because Josh..."Aaron trails off.

"I'm only going for Riley."Maya grabs her cellphone.

"I feel kind of anxious only because I don't need unnecessary drama starting between josh and I." Aaron puts his coat on.

"I doubt there will be any type of conflict. But then again Mariah is gonna be there so who knows."She mumbles.

"You ready to go?"Aaron holds her hand.

Maya blushes and nods.
–––————
"Mariah is gonna be here any minute."Josh takes a deep breath.

"You nervous?"Riley looks at him worriedly.

"You know when you really want someone and you end up making the situation out to be like its the end of the world if you don't have them?"Josh looks at his phone.

"Not quite but I know what you mean."Riley grabs plates and sets them on the table.

"Well that's the best way to express how I feel about Maya."Josh scratches the back of his neck.

"Oh la la. My uncle Josh and my best friend Maya."Riley teases.

"Oh shush."He chuckles.

A few minutes later the sound of a knock on the door is heard.

"Must be her."Josh walks to the door and opens it.

Mariah smiles. "Hi Josh."

"Come in. Take a seat."Josh points to the table not even acknowledging her.

"I brought a pie."Mariah sets it down on the table.

Josh raises a brow and his eyes widen as he looks at her. "You changed your hair color?"

"Yeah, blonde wasn't much so I changed it black." She shrugs.

"Uh well...you look good. Pretty. Good pretty."He blurts out.

Mariah blushes. "Thanks."

Riley looks at him confused. "Uncle Josh can you help me take the biscuits out of the oven?"

He nods and walks over to her.

"Why are you acting so weird?"Riley whispers.

"Oh look, here are your biscuits."Josh avoids her question as he takes them out and quickly rushes to the bathroom.

Maya opens the front door and walks in with Aaron.

"Hey people I don't wanna have dinner with but I'm forced to do so."Maya walks to the table and sits down.

Mariah sits across from her. "What's your boyfriends name?"

Maya looks at her and rolls her eyes. "Why? Do you want to try to steal him from me or something?"

Mariah gives her a dirty look. "It was just a question."

"Oh well."Maya shrugs.

"Maya stop."Aaron sits next to her.

"What? She's thinks just because Josh invited her that he actually wants to be with her again."Maya announces.

Mariah's eyes widen. "I'm not going to fight with a child."

"But you did before."Maya smirks.

"Unlike you I actually love Josh. You waltzed right in with your little imagination and thought that the Josh you always imagined being with was the best outcome for you but look where you are now."Mariah snaps.

Maya shrugs. "I'm happy. Thats where I am right now."

"No. You're desperate."Mariah points out.

"Think what you want Mariah. Josh only wanted you in the moment. He was just trying to make me jealous."

Josh walks out of the bathroom and he hears her, causing him to sigh.

Mariah gets up and as she's about to walk to the living room, she bumps into Josh.

"What's wrong?"Josh notices her facial expression.

"Look I thought if I came I could try to do the whole back and forth mean girl role but i can't do it. I've gained a lot of clarity and I'm trying to be the best version of myself."Mariah admits.

Josh takes her hands. "Calm down. We are gonna go back in that kitchen and eat all the food we can."He chuckles.

Mariah looks away from him nervously. "Fine. But only because I feel bad that Riley made all of that."

"I would love to stay and chat to know more about you Riley because Maya's talked about you so much. But this is a bit too much. I think I should go."Aaron gets up from his seat.

Maya's sighs and stands up. "I'll leave with you. Thanks for the invite and sorry that we didn't even get to eat."

Riley frowns. "I understand."

Maya gives her a side hug and walks out with Aaron.

Riley starts to put food on the plate and looks at Josh.

"I thought things would have been better."Riley mumbles.

"It's alright kiddo. After today I've realized quite a bit."He looks over at Mariah and smiles.