Ignorance bliss

Frantically nervous, Maya opens Riley's apartment door and barges in like she always did.

She walks towards Riley's room but stops when she hears a familiar laugh coming from Josh's room.

She rolls her eyes and opens the door.

Maya pauses and looks at Mariah and Josh joking around.

Josh looks over and his eyes widen.

"Maya I can explain-"He gets up.

"This was expected to happen. Did you think I would be surprised?"Maya walks away and closes the door behind her.

She stops and notices Riley sitting alone by the bay window.

"Hey Riles.."She whispers and sits by her.

"What are you doing here?"Riley avoids eye contact.

"I wanted to apologize. I've had a lot on my plate lately. After the accident I just didn't feel like myself. I hope you can understand that." Maya takes her hand.

Riley looks at her and nods. "I do. Thats why I was looking out for you. I knew it was a difficult time, it still is."

Josh walks into the room. "Maya I still need to talk-"

"I've been seeing Aaron."Maya cuts Josh off not bothering to look at him.

"What?"Riley's eyes widen.

"He treats me nice and we're very much alike."Maya smiles.

"That's good peaches."Riley then looks at Josh to see his reaction.

Josh frowns. "I wanted to say that I'm not seeing Mariah, she's here because of a college internship I got."

"I don't need an explanation. You and her are always going to turn into more. I don't care anymore Josh."Maya takes a deep breath and stands up.

Josh looks down. "Well I care."

"That's nice to know. I'll see you at school riles." She glares at Josh and walks past him.

"Why can't you just listen?"Josh follows her.

"I don't think I need to. You ended it with me last time I checked."Maya snaps.

"I told Corey."He speaks up.

Her eyes widen and she stays frozen in place. "W-what?"

"I told Corey about us. What happened and how I didn't want him to be disappointed in me."He clears his throat.

"Why all of sudden? You didn't want to when we were together."Maya crosses her arms.

"Well I stood up to him and that took a lot for me to do."

"What did he say?"She raises a brow.

"He was okay with it, but he also gave me a lecture."Josh runs his hands over his hair.

"Oh well you did that for nothing I suppose."Maya shrugs.

"I didn't do that for nothing. You mean so much to me that I faced reality and told my big brother. I did that for you."He takes a deep breath.

Maya rolls her eyes. "Thats flattering but maybe if you didn't treat me like dirt than this would be the opposite reaction right now."

His eyes widen. "Treat you like dirt?"

"Yup. You didn't care for me and you switched between me and Mariah."She looks at him.

"That was because I was scared about how my brother would react and you know that. You aren't a saint either Maya hart. You juggle between me and Aaron."He snaps.

Maya scoffs. "Because he treats me better than you ever could! I've had more fun with him in days than I had in months trying to get to you! Maybe it's a better change to be with someone my own age."

Josh feels the wind knock right out of him. He looks down and turns away from her.

"I told myself I could never cry over a girl.."He whispers and tries to keep it together.

"I don't know what planet you've been living on but I have cared for you! Who was the one in the hospital with you for days? Me. The only time I ever left your side was to use the bathroom. I couldn't even eat because I was worried for you and I wanted to be by your side every step of the way."He snaps.

"Yeah well you're the reason I even ended up in the hospital."She crosses her arms.

He glares at her. "That wasn't in my control, Maya! But fine blame me for every little thing. Do you think I'm stupid? I saw you kiss that Aaron kid during the dance, you don't think I was hurt? I still stood with you in that hospital. How dare you even make this like I was a jerk."

Maya stays in silence not even knowing what to say.

"I can't even look at you the same anymore and i hope your happy. Have fun with that boy."He mumbles and walks off to the bathroom.

Maya gulps nervously and sighs. "It's time to not feel bad about Josh and his little ways. Let it go and move on, Maya."She whispers to herself and quickly leaves.