Weighing down

Ever since that fake date Maya's conscience has been telling her to admit to Riley that she almost kissed Lucas.

In a perfect world Maya wouldn't dare like someone who Riley did nor want to kiss them.

But this is reality and for Maya nothing remotely good turned out for her.

Maya could swear she was running a marathon, feeling as though her heart would burst out of her chest.

With shaky hands she opens Riley's window and climbs inside.

"Hey peaches." Riley's eyes seem to sparkle when she sees her.

"Hey." She mumbles and lays down on the bed.

"Long night?"Riley chuckles.

"I just haven't felt like myself lately."Maya admits.

"It's okay if you're not over Josh, Maya."

"Dang it, I have to tell you something." Maya speaks out loud without thinking.

"What's wrong? You seem nervous."Riley raises a brow.

"That's because I am. Riles I had a great time on that fake date. It didn't seem fake to me." She whispers.

"What are you trying to say?"Riley gulps.

"I think I like Lucas too. But he's all yours okay? I could never take him away from you."

Riley's eyes widen. "Does Lucas know?"

Maya shakes her head no and sighs. "I'm so sorry Riley."

Riley fakes a smile. "I'm not mad. I was actually going to have a talk with him. I'm starting to realize that I only see him as a brother."

"No, Riley I don't want you to just toss him to me because you feel obligated to."

"I'm not. I actually don't see anything romantic happening between us. We are so awkward with each other it's like we're related." She shrugs.

"Are you going to talk to him?" Maya looks at her.

"I feel as though I should clear it up with him, yes." Riley reaches for her sweater and gets her keys.

"Could you tell uncle josh that I left?"

"Sure as long as his stupid girlfriend isn't here."Maya mumbles.

"She's not."Riley chuckles. "See you later." She exits leaving Maya alone to stare at the ceiling.

After a while Maya decides to get  her lazy self up and knock on Josh's door.

Josh opens the door tiredly until he sees Maya.

"Uh what's up?" His asks with a raspy voice.

"Riley left awhile ago, she wanted me to let you know that she would be back later." Maya looks everywhere else but him.

"Okay thanks. Hey can I get an opinion? I know you're probably the worst person to ask at a time like this but what do girls like?"

"Honestly I don't even know what girls like. I've been raised differently I guess.   But it just depends what you mean. Special occasion?" She looks at him.

He scratches the back of his neck. "Well I wanted to take Mariah somewhere special and I have no idea where to go or what to do. I just feel like I need to do something to make her feel happy about us."

Maya nods. "Well every girl is different. Some girls want to go out on a picnic, ice skate, go to the movies. For me, I would want a guy to take me to the woods."

"The woods?"He laughs.

"Hey! It's not as bad as it sounds. I want to venture out, you know? Maybe rent a pick up truck. Get blankets and pillows. Look up at the stars." She shrugs.

"That's a beautiful thing to want to do, Maya." He smiles.

She blushes. "Thank you. I should probably go now."

"Alright goodbye, stay safe."

"Bye." She smiles and walks away.

Riley on the other hand is figuring out ways to approach Lucas with this situation.

Yes, she likes Lucas but she would rather Maya be happy than herself.

Maya has been known to be broken and Riley knows that she's had a great life. All she wanted to do was help Maya as best as she could.

Riley nervously rings the door bell, waiting for someone to answer.

The door suddenly opens and Lucas smiles at her. "Hey Riley, come in." He steps aside.

"Sorry I didn't warn you before hand that I was coming I just needed to talk to you." Riley walks inside.

"No, it's fine. I actually wanted to tell you something too." Lucas chuckles.

"Go first."Riley sits down.

"As you know, I've been homesick but if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have survived here in New York. You're really important to me."

Riley smiles hard but remembers what she's supposed to do. "You're really important to me too, Lucas. We've always been good at talking to each other. But we've never been good at holding hands. And then we almost got into a relationship but that's when we couldn't even talk to each other. I don't want that. I want to always know that you're there to talk to."

"Okay what's your point?" He looks at her nervously.

"You're my brother Lucas and I'm your sister." She looks down.

"That's what you think we are?" He frowns.

"That's what I think we are."She confirms. "Maya likes you."

"Really?"

"Yes and I think that you should ask her out. From what I heard you almost kissed anyways." She fake smiles.

"Is that why you're saying all of this? Because of that fake date with Maya?"

"Fake wouldn't be actually kissing by the end of it." She crosses her arms.

"Fine. Then I guess I like her too." He sighs.

"Great. Then I expect to hear about another date." She walks towards the door. "I'm sorry if I hurt you."

"It's okay." He mumbles.

"Goodbye." She waves and then walks out.

A/N: sorry that this chapter wasn't very joshaya like but I needed to add a bit of plot for what's to come. Next chapter will make up for some of that.