Ripping heart strings

Maya walks into Riley's apartment with a big smile on her face.

"Don't I look bomb?"Maya smirks showing off her dress to Riley.

Riley glares at Maya in silence. "So you agreed to go with him?"

"Yeah, I've never been asked to a dance."Maya tries to make an excuse.

"You're hurting your own self, I'm just warning you right now."Riley sighs.

"It's my life, I do what I want."Maya snaps.

Riley's scoffs. "I just love you and I don't want you to be hurt again."

Josh barges in. "Heeeey niece and fellow date."He winks at Maya.

Maya blushes and looks down.

"You ready to go?" He asks her.

"Yup. See you later riles." Maya walks out with Josh.
~~~
They enter and Maya eyes the food stand. "I just have to go over there."

"Do your thing, I'm gonna go request a song."Josh smiles.

Maya goes to the fruit punch bowl and starts to fill herself a cup of it.

"Oh hey Aaron."She chuckles nervously.

He fakes a smile. "Hey." He then notices that Josh is her date and he quickly moves his attention away from her making her frown.

"You have a date?"Maya tries to not make it awkward.

"No, i just always go to the dances. Gives me something to do."Aaron grabs a cup.

"I'm sorry about what happened between us." she apologizes hesitantly.

"I didn't expect much."Aaron shrugs and fills the cup with fruit punch.

Josh cuts in between them. "Would you care to dance."He smirks.

Maya blushes and nods.

Aaron sighs and takes a sip of the drink as he watches them go to the dance floor.

Suddenly the music switches to a slow song.

Maya gets into dancing position. Josh's hands on her waist, her hands on his shoulder, getting close.

She looks over at Aaron and frowns at the sight of him standing alone.

"I've always wanted to be this close to you, Maya hart."Josh whispers.

She looks at Josh and smiles. "I'm still stunned. I just never thought I would have ever gotten asked to a dance let alone by a handsome boing like you."

Suddenly, Josh spins her around making her gasp sigh surprise.

"Didn't see that one coming?"He smirks.

She laughs and shakes her head. "Not at all."

She looks back to where Aaron was standing and sees that he isn't there anymore.

"Hey I have to use the bathroom. I'll be right back."She fake giggles and walks away trying to look for Aaron.

She goes through the halls and notices him drawing in a notepad.

He looks up and sighs. "What's going on Maya?"

"I-I just..."She trails off, not knowing what to say.

"Look I think I'm going to go. I must be a distraction. I'm sorry."He stands up.

"No! I just wanted to see if you were okay."She quickly explains.

He scoffs as he nods his head. "Because you feel bad. I'm just this loner kid to you."

"What? No! I just-"

"Stop trying to explain, apologize or whatever your doing. I'm trying my best to forget that I even had the slightest crush on you. Word of advice, just leave me alone."He snaps and heads for the exit doors.

"Aaron, I freaking like you!"She shouts.

Aaron stops and turns around. "And you like that guy too. I could never compete anyways."

Maya walks over to him. "This is not a competition. I'm not a prize."

"To him you are. Look around, Maya. Haven't you noticed that ever since you taken in interest in someone else that he suddenly wants you? I like you for you, not because someone else does. See you around."He mumbles and leaves.

Maya stops to think and sighs. "What is wrong with me?"