Sleepover

Riley being the person that she is decided that quality movie time was needed. Despite it being a horror film she knew that was how everything was supposed to go. There was a plan in place and nothing could go wrong. That's what Riley had kept telling herself over and over again.

The tension in the room was so thick that you could cut it with a knife and maya couldn't shake off the anxiety of it at all. The guy of her dreams is going to get married to someone that he's known shorter than the period of time he's known her.

Josh and Mariah were cuddled up on the couch while the two girls had set up their own sleeping bags on the floor. "Riles how come you wanted to watch a scary movie, you hate them?" Maya looked over at her best friend, wondering if it was Opposite Day.

      Riley took her hand and held it, " Peaches, do you remember when we went on that camping trip a few years back? I learned a valuable lesson since then. If my loved ones enjoy things that I necessarily don't, I've gotta try for them."

   Maya gave her a little nod as she held her hand back. She wished she could just shake off the memories from back at the camp that day. But she couldn't help but zone out during the movie.
* 2 years ago on the camping trip*

    "So six weeks out of a year we get to hold hands? I'll take it!" Maya beams with excitement.

Josh chuckles and looks down as he starts to play with her hands.

Compared to his, hers were small. He didn't mind. She didn't mind.

"What if we go past the six weeks?"

"What do you mean?" He looks up.

"If the feelings are too strong, would you be able to stop this?"She gestures towards their hands. "Because I don't think I could stop."

He takes a deep breath. "Well I guess we'll see won't we?"

She nods unsure. Uneasy feeling that all it takes is six weeks or even days for josh to stop liking her.

"Remember the girl that showed you around college and you thought you had a chance?"

He nods cringing at the moment.

"Well Riley and I went to the diner and saw you two eating there and that's when I knew it wasn't some stupid crush. I was so jealous Josh."

Josh grins. "Oh yeah?"

"Yeah, but in the back of my mind I have doubt."

"What is your doubt maya?"

"That some smart, pretty college girl will make you not want to play the long game anymore."She pulls a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"Until your eighteen I have to do my thing and you have to do your thing. But when the day comes where we can finally be together, I'll be happy enough to claim you as mine."

Maya giggles at the thought.

"So what do you say, long game?" He puts his hand out.

"Long game."she smiles and shakes his hand.

                         *  PRESENT  *

    After those little moments she remembered how Josh started to avoid her. That's when she realized he didn't actually like her afterwards. Maya's face began to turn a distinct red as tears dripped down her face one by one. She knew that it would seem dramatic to leave elsewhere but in that moment, it was better than lashing out at the wrong time.

She jumped up from the ground and headed to the bathroom. "I can't deal with this anymore." She spoke aloud not caring if it was heard.

As soon as Josh heard those words he lifted the blanket up to follow her but was stopped when Mariah grabbed his wrist. "If you follow her, it's over."

     He looked at Mariah disgusted that she could even say that but it was expected after all. "Listen here I don't car-" Riley cuts him with a pillow thrown at his head. "Uncle josh, I'll see what's wrong." She followed closely behind Maya and could hear little faints of sniffles. She knocked on the door and immediately met eyes with the heartbroken girl.
   "R-riles I broke up with Aaron today because I realized that I can't be happy if it's not with Josh. But it's too late anyways, he's getting married and soon enough that s-snob is going to make sure we don't ever see each other. M-maybe it's for the best." Maya sobs uncontrollably once Riley takes her in for hug.

"Maya, I cant do this anymore." Riley tears up knowing that her best friend is in pain. Maya pulls back, trying to process what's happening. "What do you mean? What can't you do?"

"Maya, Josh is in love with-"

_______________________
Hello everyone, I feel like I write a chapter every year at this point lol