16

Harry didn't want to leave Red Machete handcuffed in his motel room. In fact, what he wanted was to give the bastard to the police and walk away. But he couldn't do that. Whether he liked it or not, he needed Red Machete's help to catch Grimshaw. Of course, Red Machete had refused to cooperate but Harry still hoped the assassin would come around. Hopefully before it'd be too late because Harry knew he can't keep the man there forever. Luckily he doesn't have to, only as long as it takes to catch Grimshaw.

But even though Harry strongly disliked the idea of leaving Red Machete without someone watching him, he had to go out and fill Payne and Malik in. They needed to know what was happening. He walked down the street, his arm slightly hurting because of the cut Red Machete had made there but it was nothing Harry couldn't handle. He felt much more relaxed when he knew that a dangerous assassin wasn't watching his every move.

He had told Malik and Payne to meet him in Tara's. As he walked inside he immediately spotted them sitting in a corner. He walked towards them and sat down, careful not to move his arm too much.

"What's up?" asked Payne, frowning. "I hope it's really important, we shouldn't be out here since, you know, our situation..."

"It is important", said Harry. "And don't worry. Red Machete is not our problem anymore."

Malik leaned closer, he's dark eyes narrowed. "What do you mean?"

Harry gestured them all to lean closer and said, "He's handcuffed in my motel room. Room 7. The motel near that new bar a few miles away."

"WHAT?!"Payne and Malik yelled and then quickly snapped their mouths shut, sinking down a little bit.

"What the fuck, Harry?" Payne hissed. "Call the cops, for God's sake!"

"No", said Harry. "Not until he has helped us to catch Grimshaw."

"Harry, he's an assassin! It's like you want to get killed!"

"I have to agree with Harold", said Malik, looking apologetically at Payne. "Red Machete could be a huge help for us. It'd be idiotic to not take advantage of this situation." He turned his eyes on Harry. "Speaking of which... How the fuck did you do that?"

"I, eh...", Harry gulped, trying to think what to say. The lads didn't know about his experimenting in Fuerteventura all those years ago and he didn't necessarily want to tell them that he has been confused about his sexuality for all these years because the assassin who has been killing people in their hometown fucked his brains out and that's how he managed to distract the assassin. It wasn't the right time or place for confessions like that. "I was lucky and I had a gun."

"Really lucky", Payne said in disbelief, glaring at Harry. "Is there something you're not telling us?"

"Well, he hit my arm and it's hurting like hell", Harry said.

Payne and Malik eyed Harry but didn't say anything. Harry was sure that they knew he was hiding something but he appreciated their silence anyway.

"So", said Malik finally, "how are we going to continue from here?"

"I...don't know", Harry admitted. "Red Machete won't cooperate but I got something out of him."

"What exactly?" asked Payne.

"Confirmation." Harry ran his hand through his hair. "As it turns out, Grimshaw is indeed blackmailing him. Red Machete's family is the key thing here. I think he won't help us until his family is safe."

Payne wasn't convinced. "What makes you think that?"

"He hesitated when I said that I'm probably the only one who's willing to help his family", Harry said. "And thanks to that hesitation, he's now locked in my room. We have to find out his name, use that to find his family and get them somewhere were Jackson nor Grimshaw can't find them."

"And you think Red Machete will cooperate after that?" Malik raised an eyebrow. "Seems highly unlikely that he would help you to catch Grimshaw, especially when it's clear that he would end up in the prison with Plague and Grimshaw."

"He will end up there anyway, whether he helps us or not", Payne pointed out. "Right, Harry?"

Harry glared at Payne. "Of course! You seriously think I'd let him go?"

"No, of course not", Payne sighed, rubbing his face. "I'm sorry. I'm just so tired and stressed. And worried. About you and everyone else. I really think we should go to the police."

That would be the smart thing to do, Harry knew that. He knew he was palying with fire but he had no other choice. He needed to catch Grimshaw or die trying.

"Look, Liam", Harry said, "I know how you're feeling, I do. But we have come so far. I can't back off now. I can't."

"You're flying too high", Payne said, sadness and worry plastered on his face. Harry looked at him and then Malik who was biting his fingernails.

"I know", he muttered quietly.

***

They made a deal that Malik and Payne would keep an eye out for news and their phones close while Harry would try to make Red Machete work with them. That was pretty much all any of them could do at the moment. Harry was frustrated because there wasn't more he could do but he knew he had to be patient. He couldn't fuck up now.

What worried him a lot was Payne. He was Harry's friend and Harry trusted him but still he had a bad feeling. Harry just had to hope that Payne wouldn't break down, that he wouldn't go to the police. That he would trust Harry with this.

Harry was walking towards the motel. He didn't mind walking a few miles, it gave him time to think and get some fresh air before he would have to interact with the assassin again. He had no idea how to convince Red Machete to give information to them. Clearly moralizing didn't work on him but Harry didn't know what else he could do. He wasn't one to torture people.

When he turned around the corner, he stumbled straight into someone's chest. Harry took a few steps back but before he could open his mouth to apologize, he saw who was standing in front of him. He's eyes widened in horror and he couldn't move.

Nick Grimshaw looked just as shocked as Harry did and Harry knew without doubt that the man was surprised seeing him alive.

"That son of a bitch", Grimshaw hissed, narrowing his eyes at Harry.

Harry started backing away, stopped a taxi and got in, his eyes never leaving Grimshaw's murderous face.

Shit, Harry thought. Shit, shit shit. Now that Grimshaw knew that Red Machete had failed to kill him again, he was afraid what the man would do. Harry rubbed his face and told the taxi driver to press the pedal down— he needed to get back to Red Machete and make the assassin talk.