Chapter 9

Chapter 9

We stroll around the place, looking suspiciously around. I don't know the reason why we're here, but I guess I just need to go with the flow. As we reach the end of the long narrow hallway, arriving in the living room, the place is a cleaned up. The cushions are properly placed, and there's chessboard on the table sitting in front of the sofa. At a far back of the living room is an spiral stair that leads to a different set of rooms. On my left is another set of narrow hallway, and on our right is a door that leads to a dark room. Though it's dark, I can make out of the kitchen utensils neatly placed on the racks on top of the counter.

"You go there, I'll go upstairs." He commands, whispering as he jerks his chin to the narrow hallway on my left. I narrow my eyes at him, merely shaking my head. I receive a frown from him. "Look, you are actually going to make our lives easier."

"How so? Do tell, please." I ask him as I cross my arms across my chest and his eyes flicker on my biceps. A smirk tugs on my lips. He averts his eyes, turning half of his body, so he can look behind, at the spiral stairs that connects the hallway upstairs. "Are we seriously going to argue here? It's either I go there in the hallway with you coming with me, or me coming with you upstairs. Your choice." I say stubbornly, my voice gruff.

He signs, sagging his shoulders down. "Stubborn bitch," he mutters as he completely turns around, motioning me to follow him through. I smile widely, trailing behind him like a little duck. As I follow him, as he places a foot on the stairs, it creaks. Now do I realize that the stair is made of wood. I look at the stairs cautiously, thinking that if we ever step down on the stairs a bit harder, it would crumble down. Albert takes each step slowly and carefully. Following him, I place my palms behind his back as he places his hand on the railings. When we are in the middle, Albert steps on something that makes him slip. As he falls and a scream leaves his lips, I catch him. Looking over my shoulder, Albert shouts. "Run!" When I take look, the stairs are crumbling stair after stair. I place him on his feet and we  run upstairs. We jump when the last stair falls down on the first floor, and we land on our chest on the wooden floor. I groan, rolling over. "Stand up, Brent."

"Jeez, calm down, Scorpie." Standing up, I brush the dust off of me. Albert is looking at another narrow hallway that leads to whatever part of the house. Being curious, Albert begins to walk towards the dark hallway and I run towards him, putting a hand on his shoulder to stop him from walking so fast. He frowns at the nickname I have given him. "It looks like nothing's here."

"That's what makes it dangerous," he says while opening his palm and a blue fire erupts on top of his hand, cackling. He lifts his arms up, giving light to the dark hallway and he begins walking, me trailing behind him. The place is quiet, and as we go deeper into the hallway, I can't help but think that we're going to die here if we don't get out of here as soon as possible. But as stubborn as a freaking baby, Albert just keeps walking, totally ignoring me. "If you want to leave, Brent, then leave. I'm not going to stop you."

"Why are you so keen on being here?" I ask him curiously, eyeing his back.

"Just because." He says tiredly, still walking. As it appears, I grab the hem of Albert's pants and push him into me as deadly arrows pierce through the air, landing on the wooden wall beside us. He looks at the arrows that are sinking deeply into the wooden wall with wide eyes and I sigh, pushing him deeper to me, basically squeezing the life out of him. "Let go of me, Brent. You're weird."

"Says the weirdest one," he shoots me a deathly glare that doesn't affect me at all. I look at him in a boring manner, which pisses him off. He grunts, rolling his eyes and choosing to continue to walk, leaving me behind. I chuckle, running until I reach him. "Come on, don't be mad. We're both weird. It's cool."

"Brent, just shut your mouth." He commands, his tone on edge as he squints his eyes at the darkness. "Duck!" As another arrows come surging at us, Albert grabs my head and brings it down, making my whole body fall on the ground. I glare at him, wanting to give him the bird. "At a time like this, you should be keeping your mouth shut! There's usually no talking when it comes to these situations!"

Rolling over, Albert helps me stands up and together we run. "At time like this, you shouldn't be shouting at your allies, you Scorpie!" I shout as we run together, turning left that leads to another set of hallway, which is dim-lit. Behind us, the ground begins to shake, and whichever floor we take a step on, it wobbles and crumbles, so both Albert and I have to jump to prevent ourselves from falling along with the debris. Despite the situation, I actually laugh, which makes him laugh as we run. "I love hearing you laugh." He stops laughing and I wonder if I say something wrong. Pushing him into a room as the arrows surge, I glare at him for being careless. He smiles sheepishly at me, rubbing the back of his neck with his palm. "Be careful."

"Damn, this place has a lot of traps."

Nodding, agreeing with him, I keep him in one place, and he shoots me another glare that, again, doesn't have any effect on me at all. "From now on, I'm leading. Follow me, stay behind me. Clear?" Albert doesn't answer. Instead, he just eyes with condescending eyes, arching his brow at me. "Clear?" I say much louder, gritting my teeth. I don't know why he suddenly pissed me off, but I can't have him die here. He mutters his answer, which is yes, in a low tone that's barely hard for me to hear, but I did. Albert seems shocked at me strange behavior but doesn't question it. Even I am shocked. It's not so me.

Peeking through the doorway, I gesture for him to follow me once I know that the hallway is clear. Walking slowly, I look over my shoulder to see Albert's head tilting everywhere, as if he's studying every structure of the house itself. I call out his name, which makes him look at me. I jerk my chin, indicating him to move forward and quit admiring the house. As we walk, there's a loud creak when Albert steps into one of the wooden tiles that pushes down when being stepped on, and we share a horrid look.

"Fuck these traps, let's go run!" I shout once the end of the hallway explodes and both Albert and I duck, trying to avoid the debris that are flying across the hallway we're in. I take Albert's hand, tugging him and holding his hand so hard that it's leaving a red mark. We make another right turn, and there's another long hallway. "Why are there so many hallways in this goddamn house? What is this shit? A maze?"

"Oh quit complaining, Brent! Just run!" says Albert who pushes pass me and runs like a mad man. Glaring at his retreating figure, I follow him, matching his pace. I'm never a runner, and my stamina is not really high, but this is a matter of life and death, and I don't run faster, I'd get killed. Albert steps again onto one of the floor that activates another explosion, which is by the way on our left side. I grab him, shielding him and we both fly out, breaking the glass on our side and landing on the ground, from second floor (can you believe that shit?) down to first, with a loud thud. I groan in pain, back arching as Albert rolls off of me, staring at me worriedly.

Albert hits me on my shoulder rather harshly, glaring at me. "You little idiot! Why'd you do that? I'm completely fine saving myself but you on the other hand decided to go heroic and hugged the hell outta me and now you're dying because you landed on your back. Are there any broken bones?"

"Fuck," I rasp out, rolling over my chest and wheezing. Tears sting my eyes, and I try to lift myself with my arms, but fail to do so when I fall on my chest, face first. Albert doesn't know what to do next as he frantically searches for something that would help our situation. There's none. "My back hurts."

"Oh shit, what do I do?"

"Kill him," a voice, who belongs to a woman, says.