Chapter 36

Chapter 36

"You make me laugh," Nenavist says, the demon who likes to call himself a Guardian slayer, laughing as he shakes his head at me. Dark wings begin to sprout from his back, the edges are pointy, and on the tip of his bones, there's a dark orb glowing. "The so-called Guardians have already said those things to me yet here I am, still alive and well."

"Well, you should be scared now," I say, glaring daggers at him. If my eyes could only release a beam of laser towards this demon, this demon would have been an ash by now. The demon looks at me, his brow arched, but you can clearly see how amused he is right now. It seems like this is all a joke on him. He doesn't really look like the demons I have read on the romance books I have, where the demons have red skins and horns and a black staff. No, demons in reality are very different from what I have expected. "Have fun while it lasts, because at the end of the day, I will win."

Nenavist barks in laughter, shaking his head and putting his hand on his stomach, as if he's trying to contain his laughter, which pisses me off. I frown, looking at him, and my boyfriend wraps his fingers around my wrist, pulling me back slightly just to prevent me from lunging at the demon. "Boy, you may be a Guardian, but to be honest, Guardians are for nothing. They think they can balance the worlds, prevent wars, maintain friendships and alliances, when in the first place, the first Guardian was the one who cast a spell to open up the portals that lead to the interdimensional worlds, which leads us here."

I look at the demon in front of me incredulously, eyes wide and mouth agape. "You're lying."

"I do not lie, Guardian." The demon says with venom lacing in his voice and stares at me with so much hatred that I take a step back. "He may not have done it purposely, but he was easily deceived. He didn't really have a good foundation around his mind, and as a result, he got tricked easily. He easily believed the words of Slate, the oldest and most powerful demon next to Darasen, who pretended that he was an ally and not a foe. Slate once said that Guardians were idiots; he and I proved that."

Opening and closing my hands, my heart is pounding hard against my rib cage, and it rings in my ears like an awful music that I've heard a million times. My boyfriend takes a step forward and the demon looks at him curiously, then he throws my boyfriend that evil smirk he always has on his lips.

Nenavist picks up a sword on the ground, throws it to me and I catch the sword on the hilt, glaring at him. The tip of the sword is drenched with dried blood, and the sword reeks of enemies' blood and piss. I really don't know and I don't want to know. The demon raises his arm, his palm opening, as if inviting me, and I know that's an invitation to start the battle.

Albert wraps his fingers around my bicep tightly, throwing me a cautious look, as if he doesn't want me to be engaged on a duel with this demon in front of us. But if we defeat this demon, then we would be able to destroy the portal.

The demon looks at us smugly, his eyes swarming with amusement and curiosity. His eyes go back and forth between me and my boyfriend. My boyfriend just shakes his head while I give him a nod. As if on cue, Nenavist throws a sword in our direction and I push my boyfriend with force. The edge of the sword comes in contact with my shirt, and destroys a bit of fabric and I glare at the demon, who just laughs and shakes his head.

"Enough with that love-y dove-y," the demon barks, as if irritated. If there's a person who has the right to be irritated, that would be me. Especially now that he has ruined our moment. Gripping the sword in my hand, I grit my teeth while I give the demon the coldest glare I can offer. He just tilts his head, his shoulders shaking as he suppresses his laughter. "You're kind of cute."

That makes my boyfriend frown, his body turning, fully facing the demon. I can't help but feel the happiness I feel inside me when I see that my boyfriend is jealous of him. He begins throwing blue fires unexpectedly and I look at him, shocked and gawking. He gives me a side-eye glance and rolls his eyes at me. My mouth gapes, furrowing my brows then I start to run, gripping the sword in my hands.

The demon flies up high in the sky, then soaring down with his sword facing us. I open my palms and start to lift the pieces of the ruined houses, and it's heavy against my control. Throwing it on the demon, Nenavist easily dodges my attacks by rolling, swiveling, and turning left and right. With his ability to fly, that's when I realize that Albert and I need to devise a plan. The demon knows how to flap his wings high, and that's one of his advantages. If we could do anything on it, damage it or whatever, then that would be good. It would be so much better if he's on the ground.

Without further ado, I mind-link my boyfriend, telling him my suggestion that we need to damage the demon's wings, making him unable to fly. If the wings of the demon do not work anymore, then that's the time we can attack him. My boyfriend just gives me a glance, and nods his head.

The demon attacks us again, his wings folding into his back, and he has a menacing smile tugged on his lips. Albert begins to throw blue fires again at Nenavist's direction, but the demon just dodges it like a lame bird he is. Albert runs on the left while throwing fires on the enemy. Nenavist focuses his attention on my boyfriend and when he goes down, sword in hand, ready to stab my boyfriend, I whisk my fingers out and send out a gas-like pink particles and it hits the demon's shoulder, which makes him glare at me.

Once the demon's attention is on me, Albert takes the opportunity to give the demon a heavy punch on the face, which makes the demon topple over. He throws blue fires at the demon, and the demon just wraps his wings around him to protect himself.

Snarls, grunts, and groans are heard from the demon as he protects himself. I run towards his direction and Albert stops attacking him. When Nenavist unwraps his wings around himself, I step forward, facing him, and I put the pad of my fingers on his temple, and we are transported into a different world.

When I look around, there are fires burning, flaring, in the air. There are a lot of souls, and the place reeks of hatred, longing, yearning, and all other negative energies. My eyes rest on one figure that is standing just a few feet away from me; the demon himself.

Accessing his mind is really not a good idea since he's a demon and all. Once he notices that we're just in his head, he could easily alter his thoughts. If that happens, then I'm doomed. I could be trapped here for forever, and he could torture me. Before he notices that he has the highest authority of his mind, I need to act quickly.

Nenavist looks at me, his lips in a frown, his eyes burning with hatred as he looks at me. His left wing has a mark on it from the attack that I've done on him.

"What did you do?" he spats, anger lacing in his voice. As fast as a wind, he lunges at me and suddenly, his hand is gripping my shirt and he lifts me up in the air, throwing me and I fly into the sky, then my back hits a wall and I fall on the ground, groaning.

Standing up, as soon as he lunges himself at me, I roll to the left and hurtle my arms, shooting particles on him and it hits him right on his chest, making him step back. My particle attacks are like burns on him; it damages him more than what I've expected.

I run into his direction, giving him a punch on his stomach. But his body is like a steel; with his great build and taller appearance, combat will not do. He throws me a smirk, and the back of his hand suddenly makes contact on my cheek, throwing me off balance. I land on the ground once more, and roll around.

The only advantage that I have here is when I get to roam around his mind and see his fears and weaknesses. I need a distraction for me to do my main mission, the reason why I accessed his head.

When Nenavist attacks again, I brace myself.