Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Albert begins to move forward, leaving me behind. I take his hand, turning him around and beginning to walk through the opened gates. He protests, trying to pry my hands off him. I grip his wrist tighter, dragging him outside. Albert is pretty strong, I admit, but with my persistence and strong built, I can manhandle him anytime.

As soon as he realizes that I will never let go of him, he groans out loud, letting me hear his frustration towards me but I ignore him. I purse my lips, not wanting to say anything as I drag him outside the Zodiac City. Once we reach the wall that separates the Zodiac City and the outside world, we skid to a stop.

I turn around, facing him. Albert is looking at me with disdain evident in his eyes. He crosses his arms across his chest and rolls his eyes at me. "What are we doing here? I thought you didn't want a walk anymore? Change of plans, Brent?"

"No, we will stick to the original plan, and that's to go for a walk outside the city," I state, grabbing his wrist again and moving forward. His skin is warm against mine, seeping right through our connected skins. My heart does somersaults, flipping back and forth as I feel my skin tingles, I suck in a breath, ignoring the erratic beating of my heart. "Let's just be alone together. I'll explain things to you."

He narrows his eyes at me suspiciously but doesn't say anything. Instead, he pries my hand off his wrist, massaging it and throwing a glare at me. He follows me, trailing behind me like a wet cat wanting some food. I keep walking, putting my hands inside my pocket, still ignoring my racing heart.

The Zodiac City grows smaller as we walk further. From a big city turns into a dot as Albert ignores my looks. Walking slowly just to match his pace, his pace fastens. I roll my eyes at his childishness. I match his face, throwing my arms across his neck and pushing him into me. He groans, trying to get away as much as possible from me.

"We seem far enough. Explain yourself." Albert commands nonchalantly. He halts, turning his body to face me. My whole body freezes, as if a bucket of ice has been thrown on me. His eyes are judging me, expecting for an answer. "You don't have many words to use, do you? If you're not going to explain yourself why you acted like a huge asshole, then I'm out of here."

"Stop!" I yell as he's about to turn around. "I don't know how to explain myself, okay?" Frustrated, I run a hand across my face and kick a small stone. The small stone flies and lands far away; I must have kicked it too strong. I bend down, hanging my head low and sighing as if the world itself is being placed on my shoulders. "I just don't know how to explain everything. When I'm with you, it feels like I'm different. I don't even know if that's a bad thing or a good thing. All I know is that when I'm with you, I just have this feeling inside my chest that I can't quite explain. But surely it's happiness. Can you, like, take a seat beside me? It's hard to get this off my chest if it seems like I'm just talking to an air."

The anger and suspicion in his eyes fade away as he takes a seat beside me cross-legged. Instead, it's replaced by something shiny. I take a deep breath, clearing my thoughts and calming myself down. If I want this conversation to go further without saying any dumb words that would trigger Albert's anger, then I need to be careful with words that I'm going to use.

Once he suits himself, now looking at me with a weird look that I can't comprehend, I continue, "Okay, this is weird. I know... I know I'm not interested in anyone right now. But perhaps I'm attracted to you, okay? Like, oh God, this is weird. Not that you're weird. It's just that I don't understand anything, damn it. You know what? Fuck this explanation."

Leaning forward and resting my palm at the back of his neck as I close my eyes shut, I push his face forward and my lips meet with his. At first, his lips don't move with mine, so I deepen the kiss, tracing his bottom lip with the tip of my tongue and a gasp slips out of his mouth when I give his lower lip a bite. Then his lips move with mine, a choreography that's about to change anything that we have right now. Happiness bubbles inside my chest, and butterflies flutter wildly in my stomach.

He throws his arms around my neck and I rest my other palm at the small of his back, pushing him deeper into me, wanting to feel him more. I bite his lower lip again, making him gasp against the kiss and once he opens his mouth, I slip my tongue inside, tasting every inch and part of his mouth. Our tongues clash for dominance and my grip tightens around him. The feeling of his lips against mine is overwhelming. My heart is racing so fast, running at its full force like a racing car that is about to compete with others.

Albert tilts his head to the side, wanting to deepen the kiss more than it is right now. I oblige, smiling against the kiss. I open my eyes to see him watching me, and a different emotions mixing up are swimming in his beautiful and breathtaking eyes. His fingers grip my hair and I groan against our connected lips.

As soon as our lungs contract, breathless from the kiss we shared, we both pull away as we stare at each other's eyes. A smile breaks its way into my lips, and a laugh escapes his swollen lips. I rest my forehead against his, chuckling, his face fanning my face.

"Why'd you kiss me?" He asks me, confused.

"Why'd you kiss me back?" I counter, staring deeply into his eyes. He purses his lips, looking away from me. I run the tip of my nose against his and a blush makes its way to his cheeks, making him look adorable and irresistible. "Sometimes what we do in life doesn't require explanations. It's better without being explained. Do I make sense?"

He chuckles, shaking his head, his arms still around me. "No, but sometimes, not making sense is fun."

It's strange to kiss in an unknown and open place, but then again, all of the people are inside the Zodiac City. It's not like someone has seen us. When I raise my head up, a yelp escapes my lips as I see a person standing not far away from us, his eyes are trained on us, his brow arched. Beside him is a little girl that is floating in the air. Just like any ghost in the stories that I have read, her skin is white and pale, faded. I can actually see the scenery through her body. Her eyes are staring at us accusingly and her lips in a pout.

Both Albert and I stand up, dusting ourselves off. An awkward chuckle escapes my lips and Albert doesn't say anything. Instead, he glares at the intruder and crosses his arms. "Who are you?" He questions. "And what are you doing here? Why are you with a ghost?"

"You're being a little rude,"

"Says the biggest asshole I've ever met," he counters, rolling his eyes.

I make a face at him, rolling my eyes childishly. "Sorry about him, he's just a bit off-tracked. Man period, they say. I'm Brent by the way."

The man has a dark hair, brushed up, and a pale white complexion. His eyes are brown, just like a color of a coffee that I really love. His height is a little amazing, nearly matching mine, a bit taller than Albert. He's wearing a navy blue t-shirt, and a type of pants that I don't have any idea what's the design. All I know is that it looks rough, a dark shade of blue, and it's pants.

I begin to move forward, offering my hand for him to shake. The man takes cautious steps, as if that I'm sort of enemy. He has a surprised look on his face, like he didn't expect to see me at all. Perhaps he's amazed at how I look. I mean, I can't really blame them, I'm really a pretty good-looking guy. This man is cute, too, but he's not really my type. I'd rather have Albert than this man. The man takes my hand and shake it for a few seconds and I throw a look at Albert, telling him to come forward to meet the new man.

"I'm Dave, and this is Sophie, my spirit companion."